B7100hst

quinka

Equipment
L245DT with FEL and backhoe, B7100HST
May 6, 2011
Heflin AL
This little tractor only has 1800 hours on it, and has been running like new for the 7 years that I owned it. Yesterday, I changed oil and filter, put in the right amount of oil (didn't overfill) then it was a problem starting, had to use the heaters 4 times and turn it many times before starting (always started with only one turn) I let it run for about 20 minutes, then shut it off to run mowing the next day(today). Went to mowing and saw oil dripping, came back to the house immediately and lat it run for 30 seconds and the oil was dripping out of breather REALLY FAST! No odd noises, no knocks, runs fine, but really putting the oil out.

I am hoping maybe Vic and the great people here can shine some light on the problem?

Really no noises, only reason I knew about it was next row I was about to mow, I saw a little puddle of oil, got off and looked and sure enough, it is breather pipe. I know little about diesels, I can fix the tractors, but the engines, I am lost. Gasoline engines, I know, diesel, I am a babe in the woods.

Hope someone can clue me in as this has been a super good tractor.

Thanks in advance,

Frank

Big Kahuna

Equipment
Kubota 2000 L3010 HST with Loader ,1992 B7100HST , 1979 B6100E & 2007 F2880
Dec 23, 2011
Homer City, Pa.
Oil filter, something is wrong with it, change it, run oem Kubota brand filters, had a bad experience with a wix filter, I know the feeling.

Big Kahuna

quinka

Equipment
May 6, 2011
Heflin AL
The filter I changed was a Wix! Which was on the machine for 2 years, the filter I just put on was also Wix. Hmm, problems with Wix? I let the tractor cool down for half hour, then started it real easy and no oil leak, went to mow again for half hour, doing fine, then the leak started again. Came back to house and it was dripping bad. Engine runs fine. I will gladly swap the filter out hoping that is the problem. At higher RPM's, leaking is worse.

I usually use Fram filters, but will go to Kubota ones now. I sure hope that is the problem?

Thanks so much Big Kahuna,

Frank

quinka

Equipment
May 6, 2011
Heflin AL
By the way, my manual called for 4.1 quarts of oil, which I put in 4 qts penzoil, after it cooled down I checked level to make sure I didn't lose all of it, and it showed just a hair above full. Don't know why, because the manual says 4 qts?

Frank

quinka

Equipment
May 6, 2011
Heflin AL
I notice there is some kind of mechanism inside the valve cover for the breather pipe, I was wondering if this was malfunctioning and causing the problem?

Big Kahuna

Equipment
Dec 23, 2011
Homer City, Pa.
Because no oil made it to the filter, there for you lost some oil but still showed full, I think the pressure relief valve is not right in the filter.
When you unscrew the filter you will see fresh oil ready to be filtered.
wix isn't what they used to be. anytime you got oil coming out after an oil change, too full or filter failure, had it happen to me. wix not for Kubota.

Big Kahuna

quinka

Equipment
May 6, 2011
Heflin AL
Many, many thanks, Big Kahuna i'll fix that quick! This is a superb tractor.

Frank

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Quinka, I'm sure that some will argue about filters, but it is my firm understanding and belief that fram is the bottom of the barrel. I use either Kubota brand, or Hastings- Hastings makes Amsoil filters, I believe. Because of the higher compression and heat, soot, and the need for clean oil to the injection pump, it doesn't pay to skimp on filters.
Welcome to OTT- the B7100 is a fine tractor.

quinka

Equipment
May 6, 2011
Heflin AL
I am going to use strictly kubota filters from now on, thanks Hodge, I really appreciate all the wonderful information from you folks.

Frank

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Quinka,

I hope the others are right about your problem!

Unfortunately, I have a bad feeling about this. Why? Because of your comment about it being hard to start...

Have you checked your air cleaner lately? Specifically, is it tight or has it loosened up? What I'm concerned about is if it has loosened up over time and the engine has been sucking dirt. This would explain the hard starting and, depending on the damage done, could also explain the oil being blown out the breather tube due to excessive blow-by.

When this happens to a diesel it's called "dusting" and the fine grit that it sucks up usually destroys the rings. It results in the compression dropping because they rings aren't sealing as they should and the result is usually hard starting. The other tell-tale sign is usually excessive blow-by which one sees coming from the breather tube.

I hope I'm wrong!!!!!

Good luck,

Steve

Last edited:

quinka

Equipment
May 6, 2011
Heflin AL
I removed the wix filter and there was not a drop of oil in it! dipstick still shows full.

Quinka

quinka

Equipment
May 6, 2011
Heflin AL
I removed the wix filter and there was not a drop of oil in it, placed new filter on and so far no oil leak. Going to mow now, will report later.

quinka

Equipment
May 6, 2011
Heflin AL
Air filter is new and I clean it every 3rd time I mow (I mow our whole 7 acres). Now, I just finished mowing again and no leaking, engine runs like a swiss clock. I told my local Kubota dealer about the defective filter, he never heard of it but will pass on wix is questionable. I let the heaters go for 3 seconds and it starts instantly (as it always did).

I cannot thank Big Kahuna enough!!!!!!! My baby is like new again, now I have to put power steering on my L245DT with FEL. (maybe this fall as lots of mowing to do). I have machine shop in basement and 3 welders I use for fabrication.

Thanks for all the help guys. Like I said, I don't know diesels, but I have been helping another guy on here with his belly mower gearbox. I DO know mowing decks and gearboxes. If any questions about mowing decks my email is newdes@gmail.com I am 72 and still going strong.

Again, thanks, I never would have thought it was the filter, yet that's exactly what it was.

quinka

Big Kahuna

Equipment
Dec 23, 2011
Homer City, Pa.
I glad the little guy is running great again, just amazed with the 7100HST what a animal, I just mowed tonight with my 6100E, what a fantastic mower, another tractor that just makes me say, I cant believe it did that.

Big Kahuna

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I glad the little guy is running great again, just amazed with the 7100HST what a animal, I just mowed tonight with my 6100E, what a fantastic mower, another tractor that just makes me say, I cant believe it did that.

Big Kahuna
Boy, I second that. I have always had an appreciation for Wheelhorses, and still do. But, I'd put my 7100 against the 520H I used to have, any day for any situation. It would eat the WH for breakfast, and keep going.

quinka

Equipment
May 6, 2011
Heflin AL
Actually, this 7100HST is more powerful than my L245DT which is more HP but is shift so the automatic trans makes it more powerful (I think) I have run a 5 foot bushog on the 7100 and it didn't even hiccup. I pulled our trailer with 1-1/2 cords of green oak firewood on it, which made it seem like power steering, but worked fine.

I am proud of the little guy and it's going to get a FEL this winter (if I have time to build it).

Never dreamed a filter could cause this. I ordered 2 more filters for each tractor from our kubota dealer yesterday.

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
"Never dreamed a filter could cause this. "

Nor I and I'm VERY glad I was wrong!!!!!

Glad she's running fine again.

Learn something new everyday!

Kind regards,

Steve

quinka

Equipment
May 6, 2011
Heflin AL
Well, I have a Kubota filter on her now (made in Indonesia genuine Kubota) and she is running like a clock, I am with you Hodge, never dreamed it could be a filter, Big Kahuna had superb information. I Talked to Kubota and they told me a broken ring, when I told them it was the filter, they were astonished! Have mowed 5 acres with it so far and no oil dripping. Blades didn't last too long though after hitting all the rocks, so I built a fixture for my milling machine to mill the blades sharp rather than grinding and it does both sides exactly the same.

she's a great little tractor, thanks for all the help guys. Now I am helping a guy on here with his deck gearbox. What a beautiful place this forum is with beautiful people!

Quinka