What valve do I need?

Boatman

Equipment
Kubota L2800, Kubota BX1870
Nov 26, 2016
Mill Spring, NC, US
I have an L2800 that I installed a backhoe a number of years ago. Uses the power beyond from the loader so two hoses with couplers at the rear of the machine. When I have the hoe off I have a short hose that I connect to complete the loop. What I'm looking for is a valve to replace the short loop so one position it's in bypass with nothing connected and the other position it sends power to the implement.

Any suggestions?

Fedup

Apr 6, 2016
Winchester
"Any suggestions"

Yes. A permanent jumper hose between the two lines with a high pressure ball valve. When you connect the backhoe you close the valve. When you remove the hoe you open the valve. As simple as that.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I betcha @TheOldHokie will chime in and have the valve and where to buy in a few !

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

Too late.
Possibly if he knows exactly what he is doing and how to plumb and use it.
I think this is more what he had in mind

Either will work if plumbed correctly but I think the 3 way is more intuitive. I also personally prefer SAE ports over NPT.

Dan

Last edited:

Fedup

Apr 6, 2016
Winchester
I guess I don't know EXACTLY what i'm doing either, because I don't see where that valve simplifies anything.

The valve I mentioned was merely a sample. I don't know what size style plumbing he has so specifics are rather pointless. And yes, I prefer O ring ports myself. Here again, merely an example.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I guess I don't know EXACTLY what i'm doing either, because I don't see where that valve simplifies anything.

The valve I mentioned was merely a sample. I don't know what size style plumbing he has so specifics are rather pointless. And yes, I prefer O ring ports myself. Here again, merely an example.
You know exactly what you are doing and how that shutoff valve circuit works.
What is happening may not be so obvious to someone like the OP who had to ask for help on something so basic.

The 3 port valve simply combines a tee and valve into a single valve. Put the OUT coupler directly on the valve and the oil flow path and operation of the valve should be obvious to the less insightful.

Neither one of us provided a diagram of the plumbing and its quite possible the OP is still scratching his head. So here is mine.

Dan

Untitled.png

Fedup

Apr 6, 2016
Winchester
Okay, I give in. Your design requires one less tee than my idea. I also concede that I can't post diagrams via computer. Maybe someday I'll learn how to do that. The computer is not my second language. Maybe more like eighth, ninth, or tenth.

As for the OP, should he ever return for clarification, I'm sure someone will clue him in.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I’m not sure what he is trying to do but if he wants to have control of a cylinder would that 3 way valve work ok? But for a hydraulic motor I can see the three way would be best.

Or would a spool valve with bypass be more appropriate than a three way valve? Like these Bucher valves:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I’m not sure what he is trying to do but if he wants to have control of a cylinder would that 3 way valve work ok? But for a hydraulic motor I can see the three way would be best.

Or would a spool valve with bypass be more appropriate than a three way valve? Like these Bucher valves:
I believe he simply wants to eliminate the separate loopback hose he currwntly uses.. He needs a selector valve not a directional control valve.

I have that exact selector circuit on my L3901 for the exact same reason. It is used for switching a set of continuos flow ( log splitter) outlets ON/OFF. I used this three port "spool valve" rather than a ball valve. The ball valve is not as "pretty" but its a lot cheaper.

Dan

Z3Iwu_fo5oy.jpeg

20210926_125022.jpg

Last edited:

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
I have used some of those 3 way style on my machine. I find they feed in the side and then to either end as the ball is drilled at a right angle not straight thru.
Maybe a difference in brand but I don't see that diagram as right with the ones I have used.
Bill

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I have used some of those 3 way style on my machine. I find they feed in the side and then to either end as the ball is drilled at a right angle not straight thru.
Maybe a difference in brand but I don't see that diagram as right with the ones I have used.
Bill
You could be right about the porting on that particular valve - I did not check. My diagram is meant to be conceptual. I am pretty sure yoo can find a ball valve that matches the diagram..

Dan

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I believe he simply wants to eliminate the separate loopback hose he currwntly uses.. He needs a selector valve not a directional control valve.

I have that exact selector circuit on my L3901 for the exact same reason. It is used for switching a set of continuos flow ( log splitter) outlets ON/OFF. I used this three port "spool valve" rather than a ball valve. The ball valve is not as "pretty" but its a lot cheaper.

Dan
Dan,
I have also wanted to do something like this and I really like you setup. Could you take some more pictures of the way you have the hoses routed to the back of the tractor?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Dan,
I have also wanted to do something like this and I really like you setup. Could you take some more pictures of the way you have the hoses routed to the back of the tractor?
Not complicated. This is how I set it up initially but I am revisting the outlet mounting scheme and the valve will get moved and the outlets will get replumbed.

Dan

20210926_125030.jpg

Boatman

Equipment
Nov 26, 2016
Mill Spring, NC, US

Dan

View attachment 117123

View attachment 117126

This is more in the line of what I was thinking. I had already gone through in my mind piping in a ball valve but figured there was something simpler and cleaner than that. My goal is a valve that just had the 2 lines in and 2 ports out. Had looked at this one from Summit but figure I'd ask to see what others use.

Boatman

Equipment
Nov 26, 2016
Mill Spring, NC, US

No control of a cylinder. Just want ON or BYPASS.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
This is more in the line of what I was thinking. I had already gone through in my mind piping in a ball valve but figured there was something simpler and cleaner than that. My goal is a valve that just had the 2 lines in and 2 ports out. Had looked at this one from Summit but figure I'd ask to see what others use.

Not exactly = one line (PB) in and two out. In one position PB goes to thr backhoe outlet. In the other it goes to a tee in the return line.

I think thats what your Summit valve does but I will have to look at the full description.

Dan

Boatman

Equipment
Nov 26, 2016
Mill Spring, NC, US
Not exactly = one line (PB) in and two out. In one position PB goes to thr backhoe outlet. In the other it goes to a tee in the return line.

I think thats what your Summit valve does but I will have to look at the full description.

Dan

Hmmmm... just looked closer at the Summit. 3 ports so I believe it does the same at the Buyers valve you have.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hmmmm... just looked closer at the Summit. 3 ports so I believe it does the same at the Buyers valve you have.
Yes - it switches IN between two different OUTSs.

In your application PB gpes to IN.

One of the OUTs goes to backhoe outlet.

The other OUT goes to a tee in the backhoe return line.

Plumbed like this the bsckhoe can be connected/disconnected with engine running:

To hook up backhoe first plug, both backhoe hoses into the cpuplers and then move selector to backhoe position.

To remove backhoe first move selector to 3pt position and then disconnect backhoe hoses.

Dan

Reactions: 1 users