Damage to PTO top link

John3341

Equipment
LX2610
Jun 21, 2023
Maine
I came home from a business trip to find out that my wife allowed my BIL to use my LX2610 while I was away. I didn't think much of it until I went to connect my BB this morning and found damage to the top link. More specifically, the adjustable threaded piece on the implement side of the top link (item B in the diagram below) was bent.

The part just threads into the top link assembly so I assume that I can just order that specific part but I am not able to find a part number for it. Does anyone happen to know the part number or where I can order it from?

1687369222827.png

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Don't believe it's serviced separately.

One can only wonder how someone could damage it?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I came home from a business trip to find out that my wife allowed my BIL to use my LX2610 while I was away. I didn't think much of it until I went to connect my BB this morning and found damage to the top link. More specifically, the adjustable threaded piece on the implement side of the top link (item B in the diagram below) was bent.

The part just threads into the top link assembly so I assume that I can just order that specific part but I am not able to find a part number for it. Does anyone happen to know the part number or where I can order it from?

View attachment 105504
Pretty common problem and places like TSC sell replacement ends but they are inch size so not sure they will fit a Kubota OEM top.link.

Dan

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
One can only wonder how someone could damage it?
seen on here multiple times on the b’s (and assuming lx would be similar) where the rops is folded and top link will hit it when 3pt is raised

Reactions: 1 users

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
luckily the whole assembly can be found at most farm stores for about $40....

I like to make work for people I know but years back I learned never to lend out a lot of my stuff that seems to come back broken more often than I would like.

Reactions: 2 users

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
seen on here multiple times on the b’s (and assuming lx would be similar) where the rops is folded and top link will hit it when 3pt is raised
or top link is forgotten "stood up" pointing to the sky with nothing attached then drops down and hits PTO cover.
Either the pto cover gets bent or top link damage often follows.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I bent mine with the rops down and raising the 3pt with my QH attached. Rural king didn’t fit (too wide). I ended up with one from my dealer for around 25 bucks

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
luckily the whole assembly can be found at most farm stores for about $40....
True - -

Never been a fan of the Kubota OEM top link myself.

I have a couple aftermarket varieties. Just like them better.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I bent mine with the rops down and raising the 3pt with my QH attached. Rural king didn’t fit (too wide). I ended up with one from my dealer for around 25 bucks
When I've bought aftermarket, I just ground the wider flange on the ball off. They were too wide also.

Not sure what TSC, etc. get for them anymore, but Kubota is getting quite proud of the OEM.

Screenshot 2023-06-21 144240.jpg

Last edited:

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
Have you tried to bend it back?
Will take some force but if you can find a convenient rock gap and use a long lever it could work.

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island

View attachment 105504
I went through this on my tractor. My B2650 and your LX2610 use the same 6C200-65400 top link. In my case, the Phillips head screws cover an access point that is used to mar the threads. The threads have been flattened and the end fittings will not come out. I suppose that I could have put it in a vice and forced it, but the threads would have been ruined. I got an after market top link that was an exact match. Try these people. Their part number is E-6C200-65400. The price is $35.00.

Last edited:

John3341

Equipment
LX2610
Jun 21, 2023
Maine
I appreciate all the feedback. Along with replacing the top link, I will also be installing a cut off switch so that this doesn't happen again in the future. I still haven't heard how the damage occurred or why the tractor was loaned out.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

View attachment 105504
You will need to buy a new top link.
About $30+ at Tractor Supply.
Do not waste time trying to straighten it......it will never thread true again.

The lesson that needs to be impressed on both you and your wife is:
DO NOT LOAN the Tractor to ANYBODY.
If you had a new Maserati would you loan it to anyone?

You are lucky!
This time it was only the cheap top link.
Next time.......maybe thousands!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Which aftermarket top links do you use?
image.jpg

John - - this is the type I prefer. Drive the rod threw with hammer when you get one. You’ll want a Category 1 Top Link.

Most Farm stores have them of various lengths, often with the rod not installed. Measure your barrel. If the flanges/ears on the balls are too wide for your mounts, a few minutes with a grinder will fix that.

A little Fluid Film once a year is plenty. Doesn’t collect dirt like oil or grease.

John3341

Equipment
LX2610
Jun 21, 2023
Maine
You will need to buy a new top link.
About $30+ at Tractor Supply.
Do not waste time trying to straighten it......it will never thread true again.

The lesson that needs to be impressed on both you and your wife is:
DO NOT LOAN the Tractor to ANYBODY.
If you had a new Maserati would you loan it to anyone?

You are lucky!
This time it was only the cheap top link.
Next time.......maybe thousands!
I completely agree. I have no problem helping someone with my tractor but I need to be the one operating. Not sure what my wife was thinking loaning it out without even talking to me first.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I completely agree. I have no problem helping someone with my tractor by I need to be the one operating. Not sure what my wife was thinking loaning it out without even talking to me first.
John - agree as well.

10 years and 500 hours, my tractor has been operated by me all but 15 minutes.

I was standing there at the time, watching carefully…. ;)

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I completely agree. I have no problem helping someone with my tractor but I need to be the one operating. Not sure what my wife was thinking loaning it out without even talking to me first.
Well, there's things you can change and things you can't. Wives are more expensive to replace than tractors.

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
I don’t loan my tractor. I do work for others on my tractor. My wife drives “our” tractor (smiles the whole time) and is doing pretty well.
But, I do believe I would hang the old bent top link on a nail, in plain view, on my wife’s side of the garage.

Reactions: 2 users