BX - replacing unknown coolant

dje

Equipment
BX23S
May 30, 2023
Vancouver Island, Canada
I bought a used BX23S and want to replace the coolant. The current coolant is green but I don't know what kind it is. I would just replace it with blue ethylene glycol coolant (per the manual), but I'm worried about it mixing badly with whatever is currently in the machine (since I won't get 100% of it out).

I'd appreciate any recommendations on what to do.

For example, this coolant says it's compatible with any other color:

I could replace it with green (i.e. keep the same color):

Or try to get as much of the green out and switch to blue:

Thanks!

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Water is a component of all antifreezes (or most).
If you have concerns about incompatibility why not use lots of water to try and flush the original coolant out.
When doing the final refill with the proper coolant, use an un premixed coolant so you can adjust the % of water in the final mix to achieve the degree of temperature protection you should have for your area.

Do a little research about the water you should use in the final mix. I am out of touch with demineralized, distilled, de-ionized......

For the initial flushing just water from a hose.

Dave

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Just drop the bottom hose on the rad,, it is a PIA to get to but that will drain most everything and then just flush with the hose,, after that use what ever color you like, to the 50/50 spec and just make sure to kepp it that color,,,, though I have been told, and I dont know if it true, that the new stuff is ok to mix but I dont know that for a fact

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
If it were me, I would do at least 2 flushes with water after draining the existing unknown coolant. I would not use water from the tap unless it was softened water. City and well water are high in TDS. Then, add your flavor and mix of coolant and distilled water.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
If it were me, I would do at least 2 flushes with water after draining the existing unknown coolant. I would not use water from the tap unless it was softened water. City and well water are high in TDS. Then, add your flavor and mix of coolant and distilled water.
I have used well water in every vehicle I have owned over the past 65 years.
Never any issue.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Just drop the bottom hose on the rad,, it is a PIA to get to but that will drain most everything and then just flush with the hose,, after that use what ever color you like, to the 50/50 spec and just make sure to kepp it that color,,,, though I have been told, and I dont know if it true, that the new stuff is ok to mix but I dont know that for a fact
Isn’t there a new universal coolant that can be mixed? I believe it’s yellow.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The color of the coolant is an industry-standard. If it has green in it, stick with green, or flush it and refill it with whatever color you like. Personally, I would drain and refill with green. I doubt that you have that many hours on the machine even to require a coolant change. You can also get a small bottle of water pump conditioner that will replace the component of the coolant that wears out with time. If this engine had aluminum parts in it, then coolant color would be important. It is a cast iron block and head, so green is what Kubota uses. Ask the Kubota parts counter what they use when changing coolant. Most likely it is Kubota packaged coolant and it is green.

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Glad you haven't had noticeable problems, but it doesn't mean that it is the right way to do it.
The "right way" to do it is using distilled water?
Major overkill, unless your particular tap water has issues.
For the past 65 years I have only used tap water to top off batteries., I do now use distilled water for my $1300 worth of new golf cart batteries.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I have used well water in every vehicle I have owned over the past 65 years.
Never any issue.
I have used well water in the copper pipes and brass fixtures in my house and replaced absolutely everything with plastic after just a few years. Well water varies considerably.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have used well water in the copper pipes and brass fixtures in my house and replaced absolutely everything with plastic after just a few years. Well water varies considerably.
"replaced absolutely everything with plastic "?
"absloutely everything" = plastic fixtures ?

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
"replaced absolutely everything with plastic "?
"absloutely everything" = plastic fixtures ?
Obviously some things aren’t made and I should have spoon fed the peanut gallery. I did buy a cheap faucet for the shop because it said all plastic construction on the box but it started dripping in a few weeks. Took it back and got another only to have the same result. I took that one apart and found one metal part that the acid water was eating. I returned those faucets more times because of the false advertising, but finally stopped the nonsense with a faucet with stainless steel guts.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
The "right way" to do it is using distilled water?
Major overkill, unless your particular tap water has issues.
For the past 65 years I have only used tap water to top off batteries., I do now use distilled water for my $1300 worth of new golf cart batteries.
😂 yeah, $0.89 / gallon is major overkill for those that do. I used to be one. Our softened water is < 1 gpg and < 150 ppm TDS. That's what I use now, but only after testing.
If you have "good" well water, good for you. You may not have a problem. However, just because you have been doing it for 65 years does not mean you have been doing it right.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
😂 yeah, $0.89 / gallon is major overkill for those that do. I used to be one. Our softened water is < 1 gpg and < 150 ppm TDS. That's what I use now, but only after testing.
If you have "good" well water, good for you. You may not have a problem. However, just because you have been doing it for 65 years does not mean you have been doing it right.
I obviously "have been doing it right", as there have been no problems in 65 years.
That is proof enough for me.

$0.89 for distilled water?
Not here!
$2.49
I buy it all the time for CPAP.

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
I bought a used BX23S and want to replace the coolant. The current coolant is green but I don't know what kind it is. I would just replace it with blue ethylene glycol coolant (per the manual), but I'm worried about it mixing badly with whatever is currently in the machine (since I won't get 100% of it out).

I'd appreciate any recommendations on what to do.

For example, this coolant says it's compatible with any other color:

I could replace it with green (i.e. keep the same color):

Or try to get as much of the green out and switch to blue:

Thanks!
Another coolant discussion! Start with this. the color only means something to the manufacturer that added the colorant. Kubota branded antifreeze is a "clear liquid" until it is colored green. Kubota coolant is manufactured for them. I'll attach the MDS sheet for you information. For a lot more information, just look back at previous threads!

Attachments

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I obviously "have been doing it right", as there have been no problems in 65 years.
That is proof enough for me.

$0.89 for distilled water?
Not here!
$2.49
I buy it all the time for CPAP.
Walmart sells gallon jugs of distilled water for about a buck.

trial and error

Equipment
B7100dt manual trans. homemade FEL, 4 way hydraulic dozer blade
Feb 16, 2023
NY
I
You are not wrong, I work for a h20 treatment company and well water can vary substantially withing just a couple miles.

Last edited:

trial and error

Equipment
B7100dt manual trans. homemade FEL, 4 way hydraulic dozer blade
Feb 16, 2023
NY
Obviously some things aren’t made and I should have spoon fed the peanut gallery. I did buy a cheap faucet for the shop because it said all plastic construction on the box but it started dripping in a few weeks. Took it back and got another only to have the same result. I took that one apart and found one metal part that the acid water was eating. I returned those faucets more times because of the false advertising, but finally stopped the nonsense with a faucet with stainless steel guts.
Unrelated to the thread but They make ph neutralizers for low ph they use calcite to brings the ph up. The calcite dissolves thus bringing the ph up I work for a water treatment company and could get you more info if you are interested.this would make ur life easier for fixtures and pipes in the future acidic h20 is no joke for copper and brass