Trailer loading fail

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5400, BH92, RTV900, ZD326
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
The 'p' on the tranny is to put IT in 'park', as in 'not in use', it's NOT a 'PARKING BRAKE' for the truck.

Trailer is fine for hauling that tractor, gate/ramp looks like it has steel to support the tires.
yes, chocks would be nice
yes, blocks/jacks would be nice
could have pulled the breakaway, then trailer brakes would be on.

wonder what damage was done to the pickup ??
Pull the breakaway, as in place himself in between the moving truck and moving trailer to try and grab a 1/16" diameter wire dangling under the tongue of the moving trailer? Sounds like a great way to get dead.

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Start by getting in the habit of using hour PARKING BRAKE when you are PARKING.

It's not an "emergency brake". It's for PARKING, and if people would stop using that incorrect and STUPID term, "emergency brake", there would be a lot more people using their PARKING BRAKE and a lot fewer vehicles rolling away.

Not at all disagreeing with the good practice of using chocks when loading equipment, but it's always a good idea to start with Step 1.
I hope it’s understood by all….that the transmission “Park” lock 1- Only locks the rear wheels with a light-duty mechanism which is only intended for level terrain, and ….2- the “parking brake” only locks the Rear wheels from turning (and on most older vehicles with drums, only in the forward direction).

I hope it’s understood by all …that in the first video, the weight of the tractor depressed the rear of the trailer thereby lifting the tongue of the trailer…thereby lifting weight off the rear axle of the truck…thereby removing any effects of both Park and Park-brake from the truck, and that is why the combination rolled down-hill. The use of Chocks between the two axles on the trailer would have solved the problem….BUT, the guy Could Have simply continued forward upon the trailer and the tractor would have depressed the tongue back downward and stopped the entire action.

Pulling the breakaway prior to loading the tractor might have been beneficial in this instance….but that would also expose the electric-trailer-brakes to burn-out if too much time elapses. (The electro-magnet on the trailer-brakes’ armature cannot be relied upon except for a few minutes as it can overheat without the cooling effect of movement, and it can quickly drain a battery if not being concurrently re-charged. If the truck were not idling, it is unknown how long the man might have taken to retrieve the tractor for loading.) Chocks are the answer.

”Experience teaches us what we needed to know before the experience.”

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Pull the breakaway, as in place himself in between the moving truck and moving trailer to try and grab a 1/16" diameter wire dangling under the tongue of the moving trailer? Sounds like a great way to get dead.
Perhaps, that's what he was attempting to do with the failed "tarzan"
swing off the tree?

In all seriousness, I thought for sure that the tractor was about to roll onto him when everything was coming to a stop.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I think some have missed the mechanism behind these disasters.
It doesn't matter if the truck was in park or if the parking brake was on....... the weight on the tail of the trailer lifted the rear wheels of the truck off the ground, rendering the transmission & parking brake useless.

Reactions: 2 users

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
It doesn't matter if the truck was in park or if the parking brake was on....... the weight on the tail of the trailer lifted the rear wheels of the truck off the ground, rendering the transmission & parking brake useless.
Having the truck in 4WD would help a bit. Likewise, putting the tractor in 4WD while on the trailer gives 4 wheel braking instead of only the rear.

Reactions: 2 users

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
YUP !!!

Reactions: 1 users

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
There are lots of things that could have prevented this accident like park on level ground, block up the rear of trailer, drive forward to get the truck tires back on the ground, etc but the reason this happened is because the trailer is wrong for the type of equipment being hauled.
It doesnt have the correct ramps/rear support to load a heavy tractor. Thats why the trailer acted like a lever and lifted the back of the truck wheels, allowing it all to roll away.

I had a landscape trailer for my L345 and my truck tires never came off the ground but I DID end up breaking it. That trailer in video seems to have a lot of length behind the axles making that much more of a lever.

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Anybody else notice the blue tractor was electric? Not that it had anything to do with loading problem.
Interesting.
Is "electric" even possible?
I think not!

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Anybody else notice the blue tractor was electric? Not that it had anything to do with loading problem.
There are blue electric tractors made that look about the same. The battery life is 3 to 6 hours, so he had to hurry before it died. :oops:

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Kinda strange he just happened to have all the right camera angles.
What was he going to do if he caught it?
He may be lucky the tractor didn't roll over the other way.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re:

NO, you pull the wire BEFORE you attempt to drive the tractor onto the trailer..
though I suppose that'd take SOME 'common sense', which is in short supply these days.......

The brakes should not fail while on the battery, the system is designed for

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The electric tractors are made near me in Denton, NC. Tractor Time with Tim is testing one and another utuber is testing one (dont recall the name).
If that video was done by a "tester"....he REALLY needs some "testing" help!

• Haha

AKguy09

Equipment
LX3310/ Cab 1950 F- Cub
Nov 22, 2017
ellicott, colorado
I hope it’s understood by all….that the transmission “Park” lock 1- Only locks the rear wheels with a light-duty mechanism which is only intended for level terrain, and ….2- the “parking brake” only locks the Rear wheels from turning (and on most older vehicles with drums, only in the forward direction).
Thats not correct, a properly adjusted parking brake (DRUM BRAKES INCLUDED) will stop the vehicle from rolling forward or backward. I use my parking brake on my 1979 Pick-up daily