Box blade

milanmark

Equipment
B2601, Bucket, Grapple, Brush hog, stump bucket is ordered!
Jul 7, 2021
Milan, MI
I have a Kubota B2601 thinking of buying a box blade...
They seem fairly simple so I was just gonna go toTractor Supply and buy one... any thoughts?
Searched for a used one and they are almost same as new...
The other part of the question is what size? Tractor is 54" wide if I remember right, have seen 54 and 60" ones...
Thinking of a 54 as a 60 would be tight in the 2601 parking spot... will only be used ocassionally.
What say you guys?

parttime1017

Equipment
B6100E Kubota
Feb 2, 2021
Maryland
I have a Kubota B2601 thinking of buying a box blade...
They seem fairly simple so I was just gonna go toTractor Supply and buy one... any thoughts?
Searched for a used one and they are almost same as new...
The other part of the question is what size? Tractor is 54" wide if I remember right, have seen 54 and 60" ones...
Thinking of a 54 as a 60 would be tight in the 2601 parking spot... will only be used ocassionally.
What say you guys?
Wide enough to cover wheel tracks. 60"

Reactions: 1 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
For the price of the TS unit, I would look at EA or Land Pride. Not that the County Line are all that bad. Up till recently I was using a 20 year old one I borrowed.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
60", though it'd be nice to know why you 'need' the box blade?
It may or may not be the best implement for whatever task you think you need it for.
Also since it'll only get used 'once in awhile', no real need to break the bank on buying one.

Shadetree605

Equipment
kubota b2100
May 1, 2022
north little rock, ar
i use a 4ft box blade on my b2100, works pretty good. to decide which box blade is wide enough for your tractor ?, measure the width of your rear wheels, then try purchasing a box blade close to its width ?, or a tad wider ?, same goes with a tiller attachment, you should stick to wheels width ?, or a tad wider. also keep in mind the weight of said box blade ? ( although i don't see an issue with your tractor ). i looked at the land pride box blades, was turned off by those stupid clips for the shanks..nope..i wanted pins for my shanks.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
As already alluded to above, it depends on your needs/intended use as to whether or not a Box Blade is even the best implement for the job.

As concerns width, generally...you'd want to the B/B to be a bit wider than your rear tire tracks....for sake of leaving a smooth surface in dirt/gravel.

BUT...if you only need to concern yourself with gathering material and moving it from one spot to another (what box blades do best) then a shorter unit could work well for you. You can always smooth things out with a front loader bucket if you have that.

anomad

Equipment
YM2310D
Jun 10, 2021
Western North Carolina
I have a B2601 and maintain steep driveways on the property. I have a 4 foot bush hog brand box blade that is as old and beat up as I am. It's more than the B2601 can handle for anything but a gentle uphill grade. My old Yanmar gear drive will pull it in places in 2wd the Kubota can't in 4wd.

So I would recommend a 4 foot box blade. Unless your property is very flat. Even if it is flat, if you want to aggressively dig swales or other ditching exercises a 4 foot box blade will be plenty. It will easily pull more material than the machine can handle.

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
I have a 60” Land Pride with hydraulics TnT for sale. Used exactly once. Bought a BH and just never take it off. Out in CA…so not sure it works.
7C36BFAB-B105-4923-8085-CC96D730C274.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
... I would recommend a 4 foot box blade. Unless your property is very flat. Even if it is flat, if you want to aggressively dig swales or other ditching exercises a 4 foot box blade will be plenty. It will easily pull more material than the machine can handle.
4' is too small for B2601
Ive owned both 4' BB and 5' BB used on B2601 and BX.
A 60" box blade will stop a B2601 in its tracks but if you pay attention it'll handle it just fine. A 4' will barely (or not) cover rear track with R4s on B2601, IIRC rear track width (R4) is around 42"-46?

Last edited:

milanmark

Equipment
B2601, Bucket, Grapple, Brush hog, stump bucket is ordered!
Jul 7, 2021
Milan, MI
60", though it'd be nice to know why you 'need' the box blade?
It may or may not be the best implement for whatever task you think you need it for.
Also since it'll only get used 'once in awhile', no real need to break the bank on buying one.
I will be using the box blade to level out limestone in my driveway to my hunting property... been in the family for years and finally decided to spend the money due to soft spots.... found a guy who can spread the limestone really good.... very little work needed to be done most areas. Going for a coupla more loads this spring, work on filling in a few dips and leveling out a few areas. Have read about a landplane but I think that might be a little overkill and I'm sure I can find more uses for a box blade. Storage is tight thats why I like to keep things down as far as width.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
4' is too small for B2601
Ive owned both 4' BB and 5' BB used on B2601 and BX.
A 60" box blade will stop a B2601 in its tracks but if you pay attention it'll handle it just fine. A 4' will barely (or not) cover rear track with R4s on B2601, IIRC rear track width (R4) is around 42"-46?

I used to have a tractor the size of a b2601. I used a 54” back blade and found it to be a perfect size. The 54” blade was made by Landpride.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I used to have a tractor the size of a b2601. I used a 54” back blade and found it to be a perfect size. The 54” blade was made by Landpride.
54 probably the sweet spot for B2601

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I have a Land Pride BB2560 for my L2501. It's pretty useful.

I don't have a lot of experience on tractors, but one thing I did not like about the 12xx series was the way they used a "special clip" to hold the scarifiers in place.

I went to the 25 series cause it used a simple pin to adjust and hold them.

It may not be a big deal to most people, but it was to me, cause from life experience, I know sure as he!! that one of those "special Clips" would pop out and get lost at just the wrong time.

Murphy lives very close to me.... LOL

Reactions: 3 users

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I agree about the 12 series being too light. Wish I got series above (15?). In above picture, I run it with 330 pounds of additional weight, even on B2601.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Did a quick check - - looks like width is about 49", but could vary depending on tire type.

Measure the actual width for your tractor.

If 49 or less, 54 would be fine, especially if 60 causes some storage concern. I would not do a 48 either.

My box blade is my favorite and most-used implement. I bought a King Cutter used years ago for $300.

Not very heavy-duty, but has done some great work for me. If I were to get a new one, I'd likely try to get a "good" heavy one.

Does take a little getting used to. Adjusting the length of the top link to get the desired effect is most important.

Shadetree605

Equipment
kubota b2100
May 1, 2022
north little rock, ar
I have a Land Pride BB2560 for my L2501. It's pretty useful.

I don't have a lot of experience on tractors, but one thing I did not like about the 12xx series was the way they used a "special clip" to hold the scarifiers in place.

I went to the 25 series cause it used a simple pin to adjust and hold them.

It may not be a big deal to most people, but it was to me, cause from life experience, I know sure as he!! that one of those "special Clips" would pop out and get lost at just the wrong time.

Murphy lives very close to me.... LOL
before i purchased my titan bb, i did a lot of research about those special clips, every video i watched about them showed small rocks getting down inside the clips, making them very hard to remove, i made a hard pass on that bb, and went with the titan bb with pins to adjust the shanks.

Reactions: 2 users

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
The land pride spring clips are the worst. I carry spares because it’s not unusual for them to go flying. EA BB also uses a better system as well, I think pins.

matt-m

Equipment
2022 B2601
Mar 17, 2022
Columbus, IN
LP BB1254 on a my B2601 pictured. Used on mostly level ground for driveway maintenance and light dirt moving. Like any tractor / implement combo a certain amount of operator finesse factor is learned to get the job done. Keeping an eye on the box load, gradual lifts of the box to feather out material, top link tilt to get just a back blade drag, etc, etc. I've got a 60" Dirt Dog land plane as well. If doing just driveway maintenance on a long drive i'd pick the land plane (exception: sloped drive where you are trying to pull back material after a wash out.) If wanting something more versatile even if not 'perfect' in some situations I'd go box blade.

20221208_150443.jpg

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
The land pride spring clips are the worst. I carry spares because it’s not unusual for them to go flying. EA BB also uses a better system as well, I think pins.

Thank you for confirming my suspicions.