Yard help

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I have these onions that are really beginning to be a problem. I live on about 12 acres and know I'm never going to have a 'city' lawn but I have worked hard to keep the area around the house weed free--Bermuda grass.

Right now the grass is dormant and I was thinking about trying to kill it all. Has anyone every had this problem and how did you kill it? Should I roundup it while the grass is dormant?
onion.jpg
onion1.jpg

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Do not use Roundup. Even if your lawn is dormant, it could injure or kill your lawn. Use 2-4-D. It won’t affect grass.

Reactions: 2 users

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
If you read the label 2-4-D is a broad leaf killer, Round Up (glyphosate) is a non selective herbicide.

Reactions: 1 users

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
You could spot spray with imazaquin, 2,4-D or glyphosate. I'm assuming you don't want to dig them up. You have to be persistent .

Reactions: 1 user

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Take a look at Trimec. It is a broadleaf killer that doesn't hurt most grasses. Just be sure to look to see if it won't wipe out bermuda grass. You should be able to find out specifically if it will toast the onions.

I used liquid trimec years ago on my lawn and it did exactly what I wanted. Wiped out everything but the grass.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Take a look at Trimec. It is a broadleaf killer that doesn't hurt most grasses. Just be sure to look to see if it won't wipe out bermuda grass. You should be able to find out specifically if it will toast the onions.

I used liquid trimec years ago on my lawn and it did exactly what I wanted. Wiped out everything but the grass.
That should work. Unlike most weeds, it seems best to mow onions before spraying. And don't apply when grass is just coming out of dormancy.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I should've mentioned that I only used it in liquid form with a towable sprayer. I do think that they also offer it in granular variety. I'd stick with the liquid.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I have these onions that are really beginning to be a problem. I live on about 12 acres and know I'm never going to have a 'city' lawn but I have worked hard to keep the area around the house weed free--Bermuda grass.

Right now the grass is dormant and I was thinking about trying to kill it all. Has anyone every had this problem and how did you kill it? Should I roundup it while the grass is dormant? View attachment 94491 View attachment 94492
I have those in parts of my pasture during the Fall, Winter and Spring. The tops die off in the summer.

Occasionally some will pop in the yard and I just mow them.

Wild Onion/Garlic....but there is also a plant that closely resembles them "Crows Poison' that grows nearby (on my place). So IF you ever decide to dig any up (for consumption) be SURE it smells like onion (or garlic if wild garlic).

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Not sure what you mean by “kill it all” but do you mean the grass also or just “all the onions”

round up comes in several different versions so try to understand them and get the appropriate one. One is just glyphosate and the others are glyphosate and other things that can be in the ground for some time. Glyphosate is a plant contact non selective herbicide and is fairly inert in the soil. It works best on green plants so dormant Bermuda grass won’t be effectively destroyed by glyphosate. In reality it will be difficult to eradicate the Bermuda grass and may take a few applications if that is your intention.

spot spray or wipe the onions with glyphosate

good luck

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Glophasate anywhere near grass is a risk, even when the grass is dormant, because it’s never fully dormant. Even spot spraying weeds can leave dead circles in the grass. The selective herbicides discribed in this discussion are to any options that are 100% safe to grass, however, they can kill trees and shrubs that may be rooted beneath the weeds. Another option to consider is to ignore the onions and mow when the grass greens up. Onions are typically cool season plants that go somewhat dormant during warm weather when grass greens up.

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
I was going to suggest Tenacity but it'll kill off your Bermuda grass too.

Dave Ogren

Equipment
BX23S w/FEL &BH &60" Mowing Deck, 48" Dirty Dog Box Blade, 48" Tar River Tiller,
Feb 16, 2022
Asheville, N. C.
I use Crossbow. It kills all the broadleaf stuff and doesn't hurt the grasses.