Advice on what to buy

Biff09

Dec 5, 2022
Colorado
Years ago I had a BX25D and loved it for what it was.

I’m now on about 50 acres and starting with pastures that need some love, some trees that need removing and have some animal pens that will have some goats, donkeys and other little critters running around.

I’ve also got an older 50HP tractor that will handle most of the field work (for now), so what I’m really after is a smaller unit that can handle more of the ”yard” tasks. Mowing small areas (~1 acre), moving gravel, gates, and material around, and cleaning out pens.

I’ve looked at an L3901 and an MX5400, and just not sure which way to go. Smaller means more maneuverable, larger means I can move heavier things. I even considered an L3310 due to it having a turbo (I’m at higher elevations).

Appreciate advice!

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
If you want a belly mower in Kubota the current limit is the LX frame which is very similar to the B series. If you go to the current L series there is no belly mower option. I opted for the L2501 to avoid the hassle of a DPF and computer. I think 1200 pounds is about my limit on the front loader, not sure on the three point.

Reactions: 1 users

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Forget getting a belly mower. For the price of a belly mower you can get a smaller zero turn. For 1 acre that will work better than the tractor. If your looking for something to get into tight places I would stick with the LX line. They have 2 new LX models coming out in Spring 2023 that have more power than the 3310. If I remember right they will have a 39-40HP version of the LX.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
If you want a belly mower in Kubota the current limit is the LX frame which is very similar to the B series. If you go to the current L series there is no belly mower option. I opted for the L2501 to avoid the hassle of a DPF and computer. I think 1200 pounds is about my limit on the front loader, not sure on the three point.
I can confirm that the 2501 will lift 1920 lbs on a 3 point hitch. Probably shouldn't have moved the toy hauler that way but..... only needed it moved a couple feet so I could back fill the gravel depressions under the tires.
Agree on just getting a ZT for the yard.

Biff09

Dec 5, 2022
Colorado
Ah, I wasn’t thinking belly mower, but a 3pt finish mower. A ZT is also a good call.
Let’s remove the yard mowing duty from the requirements for this tractor.

Thanks for the replies so far!

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
Consider a smaller skid or CTL? More money but lots of lifting capacity and takes heck of abuse. I find with my GL4060 that I don't run out of HP but I do run out of lift capacity.

1670347670241.png

1670347733560.png

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
An MX would replace that larger tractor probably. An L or LX is an additional smaller tractor. Depends what you're trying to do. I think the L is better buying than the LX if you don't need to mow and aren't weight limited.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Welcome. Does current machine not have a loader or too big to fit where you need it? If already think L or MX why would would current machine not also be able to pull a mower? To me, based on your description…if you can put mowing aside or not the main use, I agree with Pokey…would see superior capability from a CTL loader use and maneuverability standpoint. If the only task needing the PTO is mowing I’d be thinking hard about a small rider for an acre or use current machine…maybe overkill to use 50hp for an acre but so is an MX or an L IMO. If set on a tractor then I guess sort of depends on size of machine versus space limitations getting in out and around buildings and pens for your work. I think sort of comes down to priority and how much loader capability (including maneuverability you want.) just my thoughts 🥃

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
165# used to be the weight of a passenger for weight calculatin for airplanes...
pretty sure it's now 190#

Reactions: 1 user

greeninfarming

Jul 21, 2018
Henderson, nevada, usa

I’m now on about 50 acres and starting with pastures that need some love, some trees that need removing and have some animal pens that will have some goats, donkeys and other little critters running around.

I’ve also got an older 50HP tractor that will handle most of the field work (for now), so what I’m really after is a smaller unit that can handle more of the ”yard” tasks. Mowing small areas (~1 acre), moving gravel, gates, and material around, and cleaning out pens.

I’ve looked at an L3901 and an MX5400, and just not sure which way to go. Smaller means more maneuverable, larger means I can move heavier things. I even considered an L3310 due to it having a turbo (I’m at higher elevations).

Appreciate advice!
I have 20 acres to play with and opted for the L2501 in 2018 after asking some of the same questions you're asking. So far, no regrets. I have heard a few stories about issues people have had with the emissions on tractors with >25hp so that was a deciding factor for me. One commenter told me that the L2501 can do pretty much everything a bigger tractor can do, just slower. That's been my experience. I've got all kinds of implements and so far they have all been able to be used without much of an issue. I even have a front loader mounted hydraulic auger that I put a 4' extension on so I could drill down 7 1/2' for my solar array poles and it worked just fine with the hydraulic pressure the L2501 has. Heck, for 1 acre or so, the L2501 might be a bit overkill.

inspector-steve

Equipment
L6060, M6-111, 333g, 315, S-45, 2038R
Dec 19, 2022
Middle TN
we have had multiple kabota's with the belly mower and they cut better than any riding mower or zero turn you can find, I think we had a B2650 and Bxx80, currently have a Deere 2038r with a 72 inch belly mower the turbo will spool up when needed and she mows like a champ. We did just purchase an L6060 with an 8 foot shredder behind it.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
we have had multiple kabota's with the belly mower and they cut better than any riding mower or zero turn you can find, I think we had a B2650 and Bxx80, currently have a Deere 2038r with a 72 inch belly mower the turbo will spool up when needed and she mows like a champ. We did just purchase an L6060 with an 8 foot shredder behind it.
Depends on acreage, and the lay of your land.
I would not trade my SCAG zero turn for any Kubota with a belly mower.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
165# used to be the weight of a passenger for weight calculatin for airplanes...
pretty sure it's now 190#
Winter and Summer airline passenger weights were different.
Not sure how it works now.

MG@BlackCreek

Equipment
MX5400
Dec 22, 2022
Wisconsin

Appreciate advice!
I bought the MX5400/with cab. Fluid filled rear tires and the front bucket. Really nice to operate and lots of power. I have a 40 acre spread. woods and hay crop. My issue is the operating RPM. Usually operate at 2100 RPM unless using the PTO which is is a higher RPM. Mostly use the grapple. This tractor drinks diesel like it is free. I am use to my Ford 5000 that operates a little more efficient. However, really nice machine.

Outland1776

Equipment
L47
Dec 27, 2022
USA
Me neither,.... and I would not want one.
I have a 32HP 4x4 FEL and a 48HP 4x4 TLB.
May I ask how do you like the L47? Looking for an all a rounder and feel I need a hoe for pond clean out. Tons of trenching for irrigation and pasture finishing.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
May I ask how do you like the L47? Looking for an all a rounder and feel I need a hoe for pond clean out. Tons of trenching for irrigation and pasture finishing.
If your pond is six feet wide it will be great! A mini-x will be greater and betterer for trenching and digging.

For a tractor I would go minimum 80-100 PTO HP utility tractor with loader and the biggest front tires I could get.

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
Looks like this thread is sufficiently diverse for this:

Saw an L175 advertised locally last week with a 4 foot blade for $2900. I was thinking about it as a replacement for my 1948 Farmall Cub, which I find somewhat less than dependable. I've kind of discounted making the switch, as the L175 has only a 17hp, 2 cylinder, 700cc engine. I'm sure it's reliable and torquey, but in terms of power, it's probably just a marginal improvement on the Cub.

The Cub's ignition has always been quirky. Not disabling, just annoying. If it sits for a month or two, I need to dress up the points for it to fire up. Just the nature of old gas-powered engines. The reason that more modern engines have electronic ignition.

Soliciting opinions on the L175...

-Paul