Bx1880 - Will it fit my needs.

someguy9000

Oct 7, 2022
California
Hello All.

I already own a l3901 w/ Fel, box scraper, rcr1860 mower, and a BH77.

My issue is mowing my "lawn". I have very little grass, mostly wild grass, where my leech field is. It's green in spring, dies the rest of the year. Other than this area, the rest of my 5ac are completely oak wooded acres. I "maintain" 1ish acre around my house. It's 75%+ oak debris (leaves and branches).

I pull around a cyclone rake to do this, which does a great job of pickup. I'm doing this with a 22hp Craftsman riding mower, it tries really hard, but I'm burning up the CVT transmission, I know this. It's life is limited.

I want to get a 4wd replacement. I have slope, and dump the debris in rough terrain. I have to pull out the mower with my 39 when it gets stuck and cannot deal with the terrain. I was looking at GR series, but...if I'm spending 9k on a pure mower, why not just get another tractor with a FEL for a few K more?

I kinda dont want to drop 20k on a bx2380, because I already have the L, but if the cyclone rake is going to tax the HP of the 1880 at ALL, ill have to consider other options.

Appreciate any constructive thoughts, thank you.

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
Welcome to the forum. I have a BX1880 and what I have learned is although the chassis and mechanicals are the same as the BX2380, the tires (and front wheels) are smaller but the FEL capability is the same. At the time, the tire choices were R1's or turf tires. The R1's destroyed my lawn and since have been upgraded to "Off road" tires on the BX2380 size. I have never felt any lack of power while mowing with my 48 in. MMM. However, it appears that from other users that the big limitation might be on PTO power for snow blowers or other attachments like tillers.

Reactions: 1 users

someguy9000

Oct 7, 2022
California
Welcome to the forum. I have a BX1880 and what I have learned is although the chassis and mechanicals are the same as the BX2380, the tires (and front wheels) are smaller but the FEL capability is the same. At the time, the tire choices were R1's or turf tires. The R1's destroyed my lawn and since have been upgraded to "Off road" tires on the BX2380 size. I have never felt any lack of power while mowing with my 48 in. MMM. However, it appears that from other users that the big limitation might be on PTO power for snow blowers or other attachments like tillers.
thx for the welcome and reply. I don't get snow, and if I want a tiller I'll rock it on my L.

I kinda want the 48 deck on the MMM mower too, as my mower now has a 54 and I think it misses vacuuming up debris.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I think your 54" deck may be a bit much for a 22 HP mower. I have the same size deck on my 26 HP Craftsman. My Craftsman is a garden tractor rather than a lawn tractor. Part of the difference is the transaxle. A giveaway is the fact my rear tires are on five lug rims. I do have a manual shift rather than hydrostatic model - they came both ways. The fluid was leaking from my transaxle. Seals are not readily replaceable though there is a filler port on top. I drilled a hole to install a hydraulic jack plug just below the separation line to act as a fill indicator. I can now add fluid until it runs out my overflow.

someguy9000

Oct 7, 2022
California
I think your 54" deck may be a bit much for a 22 HP mower. I have the same size deck on my 26 HP Craftsman. My Craftsman is a garden tractor rather than a lawn tractor. Part of the difference is the transaxle. A giveaway is the fact my rear tires are on five lug rims. I do have a manual shift rather than hydrostatic model - they came both ways. The fluid was leaking from my transaxle. Seals are not readily replaceable though there is a filler port on top. I drilled a hole to install a hydraulic jack plug just below the separation line to act as a fill indicator. I can now add fluid until it runs out my overflow.
if I didn't have the cyclone rake, and I had flat land with grass, I'd have no issues with the mower. Its a T3400 lawn tractor. It rarely bogs down. I'm just asking it to do more than it probably should.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I don't know a lot about cyclone rakes, but a quick google tells me they've got a separate engine to run the vacuum. So the load they put on your mower is:
1. Pulling the weight of a trailer
2. Spinning the mower that picks up whatever is going into the cyclone rake

If you don't really have grass and it's mostly picking up leaves and debris, I don't see a reason that an 1880 wouldn't be plenty, perhaps even with the 54 inch deck, but definitely should be OK with the 48 inch deck. If you went to the 2380 you could perhaps stretch to the 60 inch deck, which might take a little off your time.

I know it's a couple grand more, but I always feel that the 1880 is too much compromise for the difference in price, I feel like for a lot of people it'll always be "I wish I'd got the standard machine, not the small machine."

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I had a BX22 (2004 model) and it had plenty of power (22HP diesel) to propel the 60" mower deck, and I also had a Cyclone Rake on the back of the tractor. The tractor had no problem picking up leaves and acorns and the Cyclone Rake had no problems putting them into the bag. I also had no problem with dumping the bag either, but what I did have problems with was the zipper on the Cyclone Rake. My unit was fairly old and when the bag wore out, I just put the whole thing into the woods to rot. The cost of the bags was about 50% of a new system. Now I use a tried and proven method of leaf removal. G-d put them there, let him take them away. Been working out well for me for the last 10 years.

someguy9000

Oct 7, 2022
California
I don't know a lot about cyclone rakes, but a quick google tells me they've got a separate engine to run the vacuum. So the load they put on your mower is:
1. Pulling the weight of a trailer
2. Spinning the mower that picks up whatever is going into the cyclone rake

If you don't really have grass and it's mostly picking up leaves and debris, I don't see a reason that an 1880 wouldn't be plenty, perhaps even with the 54 inch deck, but definitely should be OK with the 48 inch deck. If you went to the 2380 you could perhaps stretch to the 60 inch deck, which might take a little off your time.

I know it's a couple grand more, but I always feel that the 1880 is too much compromise for the difference in price, I feel like for a lot of people it'll always be "I wish I'd got the standard machine, not the small machine."
you are correct with your numbered items. The issue with the 54 deck (chute exit is on the right), is that it seems to leave the left half of the mower deck less (the heavier branches and such) sucked up. I'm hoping it would be better with a smaller deck.

I'm at that wierd limbo point of should I sell my L, get a B/BX with MMM for "one machine", or keep the L and get a "cheaper" mower only.

someguy9000

Oct 7, 2022
California
I had a BX22 (2004 model) and it had plenty of power (22HP diesel) to propel the 60" mower deck, and I also had a Cyclone Rake on the back of the tractor. The tractor had no problem picking up leaves and acorns and the Cyclone Rake had no problems putting them into the bag. I also had no problem with dumping the bag either, but what I did have problems with was the zipper on the Cyclone Rake. My unit was fairly old and when the bag wore out, I just put the whole thing into the woods to rot. The cost of the bags was about 50% of a new system. Now I use a tried and proven method of leaf removal. G-d put them there, let him take them away. Been working out well for me for the last 10 years.
the bags seal with Velcro now. Some of the stitches are popping, gotta rethread it soon. In general, 6 years in, it works pretty good.

I've got to clear the leaves for ticks alone.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day. I had a BX previously. Now I have a B and MX. I traded up to the B before I knew I would need an MX. had I known then that I would eventually get a MX I would not have gotten the B. I like both but I think if you have a larger machine it makes it a lot easier to have a sub compact…the BX was great. I would say though that whether I planned to use the PTO or not, in that machine with HST I’d get as much engine as I could. Either way I suspect you will run out and f traction before you do power with the BX….but I’d buy what you can. I think you will end up using the BX more than you might think in the woods. It will be a nice compliment to your L. If buying without a loader for mowing, i’d Think a zero turn would be more efficient. I would not have one without a loader IMO…turns it into a diesel powered wheel barrow with an option to put forks on. The BX will fit all kinds of place an Mx (or an L) won’t. I used to do wood with it…eventually it runs out of ass, but it’s still better than the alternative. Good luck.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
you are correct with your numbered items. The issue with the 54 deck (chute exit is on the right), is that it seems to leave the left half of the mower deck less (the heavier branches and such) sucked up. I'm hoping it would be better with a smaller deck.

I'm at that wierd limbo point of should I sell my L, get a B/BX with MMM for "one machine", or keep the L and get a "cheaper" mower only.
I’d try a finish mower on the L and cut some trees down before I would ever downsize to a BX. That’s just me. I don’t know your situation…just for me…I’d make space for the L to fit before I dropped to a BX…if you are going to do that I’d recommend you demo one first, unless you are sure that is what you want to do. If the L had a MMM would this be an issue? Why not try a finish mower on the L and cut a few trees if necessary? For me don’t sell the L until you are sure…be hard to replace that likely for what you paid. The BX is no way near the capability of your L. Whether you realize it or not your L may have spoiled you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
I'm mowing about 1½ acres with about 40 oak and maple trees, using a BX2380, pulling a DR vacuum trailer. I have a 54" deck, and use the Kubota deck boot to connect the 8" hose between the deck and the trailer. It does a great job of clearing debris. The BX1880 should have no problems hauling your Cyclone Rake (about the same dimensions and weight as the DR). I've removed the 3 point hitch's lower arms to make the trailering easier (a 3 minute chore) but that's more for convenience than anything else.

Initially, one minor 'glitch' with vaccing up leaves was that the 2380's exhaust (out the front left) was blowing the leaves out of the mower's path. I solved that by adding an elbow extension to the exhaust pipe and pointing it upwards.

The BX1880 should be plenty of tractor for the job you have. Get the R-14 tires if you can. Otherwise get the R-4's. I have the R-4's on mine, and haven't been disappointed with them.

someguy9000

Oct 7, 2022
California
I’d try a finish mower on the L and cut some trees down before I would ever downsize to a BX. That’s just me. I don’t know your situation…just for me…I’d make space for the L to fit before I dropped to a BX…if you are going to do that I’d recommend you demo one first, unless you are sure that is what you want to do. If the L had a MMM would this be an issue? Why not try a finish mower on the L and cut a few trees if necessary? For me don’t sell the L until you are sure…be hard to replace that likely for what you paid. The BX is no way near the capability of your L. Whether you realize it or not your L may have spoiled you.
2 problems with my L, as a mower. 1) It's my leech field, so I'm trying to avoid driving the 3k tractor on it to compress septic lines. 2) yes the L doesnt have the MMM. I couldn't hook a finish up, and the cyclone rake behind that.

And it's less about the space and more about $$ I'd have tied up in machines.

Last edited:

someguy9000

Oct 7, 2022
California
I'm mowing about 1½ acres with about 40 oak and maple trees, using a BX2380, pulling a DR vacuum trailer. I have a 54" deck, and use the Kubota deck boot to connect the 8" hose between the deck and the trailer. It does a great job of clearing debris. The BX1880 should have no problems hauling your Cyclone Rake (about the same dimensions and weight as the DR). I've removed the 3 point hitch's lower arms to make the trailering easier (a 3 minute chore) but that's more for convenience than anything else.

Initially, one minor 'glitch' with vaccing up leaves was that the 2380's exhaust (out the front left) was blowing the leaves out of the mower's path. I solved that by adding an elbow extension to the exhaust pipe and pointing it upwards.

The BX1880 should be plenty of tractor for the job you have. Get the R-14 tires if you can. Otherwise get the R-4's. I have the R-4's on mine, and haven't been disappointed with them.
thank you much! I bought the big z10 cyclone rake, which is also part of my problem, as it's just too much weight for that lawn tractor. I'm sure the DR is nice too. I'm going to buy the 3pt pto trimmer they sell, I think it will be great for the fence posts I have.

someguy9000

Oct 7, 2022
California
Good day. I had a BX previously. Now I have a B and MX. I traded up to the B before I knew I would need an MX. had I known then that I would eventually get a MX I would not have gotten the B. I like both but I think if you have a larger machine it makes it a lot easier to have a sub compact…the BX was great. I would say though that whether I planned to use the PTO or not, in that machine with HST I’d get as much engine as I could. Either way I suspect you will run out and f traction before you do power with the BX….but I’d buy what you can. I think you will end up using the BX more than you might think in the woods. It will be a nice compliment to your L. If buying without a loader for mowing, i’d Think a zero turn would be more efficient. I would not have one without a loader IMO…turns it into a diesel powered wheel barrow with an option to put forks on. The BX will fit all kinds of place an Mx (or an L) won’t. I used to do wood with it…eventually it runs out of ass, but it’s still better than the alternative. Good luck.
thanks much for your thoughts. the zero turn I just think couldn't handle the slope/rough terrain, or id give it a stronger look. I mean those are like 5kish. If a 4wd GR wasn't 10k, I wouldn't be looking at a bx.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The BX will have a lot more grunt than the Craftsman I'd expect, and certainly be a lot happier pulling a trailer. It also has more gearing - worst case you can run in low and the transmission won't even notice the Cyclone is there.

if you're considering replacing the L, then you could drop the L and the craftsman, and look at a B2601 or LX2610. The LX can be had with a 72 inch deck, which might be too big for you, can't recall if there's also a 60 inch for it. You wouldn't give up a lot of capability coming down from your L, and it would do both jobs.

I would worry a bit about a BX in the woods, they're quite low with low ground clearance. And a BX as a dedicated mower pulling a cyclone rake does seem a bit excessive, seems like there should be some other solution.

I've seen large 3ph mounted leaf blowers. Could you just blow the leaves into the woods, no cyclone? How much money is the Craftsman worth - what's the damage financially if you run it till it actually breaks before worrying?

Is the Craftsman a CVT or an HST? With an HST, running with part pressure on the throttle is basically running in a lower gear, it doesn't do any harm. I'm guessing with the CVT it's also similar - the belt will be further down the cone, it's running in a lower gear? So maybe running it with a light foot on the right will reduce load on the transmission?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I prefer the ' dedicated machine'. Have a 22hp Craftsman.BERCOMAC snowblower, Old Cub Cadet for mowing, BX23S for digging details.
Unless you're young and healthy, getting any MMM on/off is a real 'chore'. You don't want the deck on if doing loader work, and vice versa.
While any 'rider' will pull the cyclone on nice level lawn, you really need a 'tractor' to go off road, into the bush, up hills and in the woods.

I don't know the price spread between a BX18xx 'mower only' vs a BX23xx MMM. You don't need the loader as you have the 39 ? A 48" deck could be better, easier for 'woods details' ?

someguy9000

Oct 7, 2022
California
The BX will have a lot more grunt than the Craftsman I'd expect, and certainly be a lot happier pulling a trailer. It also has more gearing - worst case you can run in low and the transmission won't even notice the Cyclone is there.

if you're considering replacing the L, then you could drop the L and the craftsman, and look at a B2601 or LX2610. The LX can be had with a 72 inch deck, which might be too big for you, can't recall if there's also a 60 inch for it. You wouldn't give up a lot of capability coming down from your L, and it would do both jobs.

I would worry a bit about a BX in the woods, they're quite low with low ground clearance. And a BX as a dedicated mower pulling a cyclone rake does seem a bit excessive, seems like there should be some other solution.

I've seen large 3ph mounted leaf blowers. Could you just blow the leaves into the woods, no cyclone? How much money is the Craftsman worth - what's the damage financially if you run it till it actually breaks before worrying?

Is the Craftsman a CVT or an HST? With an HST, running with part pressure on the throttle is basically running in a lower gear, it doesn't do any harm. I'm guessing with the CVT it's also similar - the belt will be further down the cone, it's running in a lower gear? So maybe running it with a light foot on the right will reduce load on the transmission?
craftsman is a CVT. Its the lack of 4wd hat hurts it, very badly. I can do half loads with the cyclone to make it easier, just takes more time. I dump the cyclone in rugged territory, so I pull it out with the L alot. I've had it 8 years, it'd gotten the money I paid for it out. I'll run it into the ground without issue. I was looking at GR series mowers, but I can get a used BX with a FEL/MMM for a few dollars more.

Is think BLOWING my leaves would take a while. I have a nice Redmax Backpack blower, and it takes me a good while (45mins) to blow a 900sqft patch I have off, cyclone/mower does it in 5-10. I blow it when I don't want to dig out my mower.

CA is also doing some legislation starting in 2024 to ban small gas engines under 25hp. I've been looking at the language, and it's hard to know what is actually going to be banned or not. It's INTENT is weed eaters/blowers, but will RMs also be affected? Trying to see if I have to buy something by next summer (to avoid this dumb law), as I have to finance it.

Last edited:

someguy9000

Oct 7, 2022
California
I prefer the ' dedicated machine'. Have a 22hp Craftsman.BERCOMAC snowblower, Old Cub Cadet for mowing, BX23S for digging details.
Unless you're young and healthy, getting any MMM on/off is a real 'chore'. You don't want the deck on if doing loader work, and vice versa.
While any 'rider' will pull the cyclone on nice level lawn, you really need a 'tractor' to go off road, into the bush, up hills and in the woods.

I don't know the price spread between a BX18xx 'mower only' vs a BX23xx MMM. You don't need the loader as you have the 39 ? A 48" deck could be better, easier for 'woods details' ?
I don't need the loader, but buying a BX over a GR mower only, the point is to get a loader and pto.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
It'd be nice if there was a way to run the cyclone off the PTO. That'd be elegant. But probably would bog down most machines.

For what you describe I kinda like the B2601 more than the BX. Just because you're dragging the cyclone into the woods. But a BX would do it fine probably, as you say the 4wd is the big difference.

I think you're kind of answering your own questions:
1. You like the cyclone, it works, you'd like to keep using it
2. The craftsman can't pull a full cyclone and gets stuck = not up to the job
3. A BX size machine won't replace an L. So you're keeping the L if you get a BX

Options are therefore:
- Keep the L, get a BX, I still would go for a 23hp, particularly if buying second hand. I'd personally get a bit older/higher hours BX23x0 rather than a newer/lower hours BX18x0.

- Sell the L and get a machine in between - B2601 or B2650. Probably the larger B.

I think in the interests of not losing capability, if you can get the BX and keep the L as well, then you're less likely to have regrets. May be more tractors than the property you describe really requires, but what the hell.