Deleted fuel gauge, won't start

smadams1065

Equipment
BX2200
Jun 23, 2022
USA
BX2200

"Deleted" fuel gauge on gas tank (practically disintegrated) and now it won't start. Starter turning engine over just fine, BTW.

Question... does the "circuit" need to be complete for the fuel gauge and that's why it won't run? Can I just connect the two leads together?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
curious was I, I downloaded the WSM and the fuel sensor plays NO part in running of the engine.
perhaps you've 'moved' some wires or connectors that run the 'stop' solenoid ??

Reactions: 1 users

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Or forgot to plug something back in, or didn't get it plugged in the entire way.

Reactions: 1 user

smadams1065

Equipment
BX2200
Jun 23, 2022
USA
The thing is that, though I removed the tank from the tractor, there are no other electrical connections to be made except the fuel gauge and the rear lights. And the fuel lines only connect back one way due to each length of hose.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Was one of the wires on the gauge a 'ground' wire?

I don't have a schematic to look at....but sometimes a ground is 'shared' between components.

IF there was a separate ground wire and it isn't grounded now....find a ground point and try it.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I 'assumed' he unpluged the sensor... though one would have to look at the actual wiring cables to see where actual 'ground' is made.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
BX2200

"Deleted" fuel gauge on gas tank (practically disintegrated) and now it won't start. Starter turning engine over just fine, BTW.

Question... does the "circuit" need to be complete for the fuel gauge and that's why it won't run? Can I just connect the two leads together?
There is absolutely no electrical relationship between fuel gauge operation and the engine operation on your tractor!

Reactions: 1 users

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Sounds like you’re saying the sending unit disintegrated due to rust. Replaced with a fabricated plate? Did you remove the fuel tank to clean out the crud? Check for fuel flow from the electric pump to the injection pump.
You need to take that word out of your vocabulary when referring to diesels.
Did you refill it with diesel fuel or gas when finished? Did you send someone down the road for 5 gals of “gas?”

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Sounds like you’re saying the sending unit disintegrated due to rust. Replaced with a fabricated plate? Did you remove the fuel tank to clean out the crud? Check for fuel flow from the electric pump to the injection pump.

You need to take that word out of your vocabulary when referring to diesels.
Did you refill it with diesel fuel or gas when finished? Did you send someone down the road for 5 gals of “gas?”
^^^^^^

Yeah, let's hope not. I saw that also, but just attributed it to people referring to ALL fuel tanks as 'gas tanks' (even if diesel).

If that is the case (gas in diesel) then consider it a blessing the engine didn't start. If you've ever seen a 'run away' diesel. Not to mention all the damage that can occur to parts not meant to see gas.

smadams1065

Equipment
BX2200
Jun 23, 2022
USA
Yes, replaced it with a plate. I checked fuel flow going out of the fuel filter by the engine and its coming out fast, so the tank is clean.

No, I did NOT put gasoline in the fuel tank, just diesel.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I first need to thank Henro for reminding me the BX1800 2200 wiring diagram covers two different engines and each engine is controlled completely differently.
On the BX-2200 engine (D-905) the engine stop solenoid needs to be powered for the engine to run.
On the machine in question, with the key in the ON position you should verify power to the engine stop solenoid using a 12 volt test light.
If there is no power to the solenoid it will never start.
A blown fuse would be the first thing to check if there is no power.
Do not just look at the fuse but pull each one out for examination and this photo will show.
Badly rusted but intact element.jpg

This fuse tests good but does not conduct power.

Dave

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
On the machine in question, with the key in the ON position you should verify power to the engine stop solenoid using a 12 volt test light.
If there is no power to the solenoid it will never start.
I tried looking up the part and both 2&3 wire are coming up. If it’s a 3 wire there is a pull and a hold coil built into it.
No, I did NOT put gasoline in the fuel tank, just diesel.
No insult intended. It happens regularly here on this forum. If you use the word ”gas” here when referring to a diesel….. bells & whistles start going off with all of us who had to deal with this situation before, and having to correct someone else’s mistake.

Dustyx2

Equipment
BX22, M7060, Landpride RC-2512, Woodmax SB84
Feb 19, 2021
NE Wyoming
The fuse for the tail lights also is the fuse for the electric fuel pump. When the dealer had my BX22 fuel tank out they pinched a tail light wire and that fuse blew the first time I used the lights. My tractor still ran without the pump, but yours may not if you have air in the lines. You should be able to hear the pump clicking with the key on.

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
You can easily remove the fuel cut off solenoid from the injector pump as a test, but will have to hold it back in place by hand to shut the engine down if it starts.

Doing so will indicate whether it is a fuel issue or an electrical issue.

My BX2200 has a dual-coil fuel cut off solenoid. If the “start” coil does not work, the “run” coil can never work, because it is not strong enough to move the solenoid on its own.

If the “run” coil doesn’t work, the engine will start but shut down when release the key, when the “start” coil is deenergized.

You could also remove the fuel line from the filter after the electric pump(on the side of the engine), turn the key on and see if you are getting fuel flow at that point.