GAS Prices Dont Matter

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I couldn't agree more. I'm retired and I know years ago before I retired if I was off a day during the week you could hit town around 2-3pm and have the roads and streets to yourself. Now it's like Friday and everyone is going to the bank with their paycheck 7 days a week all hours of the daylight. Then there's the highways, almost no one is backing off on their driving. We rarely go anywhere anymore unless we have a reason too. Heard a woman on the news say, "well we're combining some of our trips now". I'm like well heck there's a novel idea why the heck we're you doing that before SMH.
“Going to the bank with their paycheck”. Does anyone do that anymore? Who still gets a paper paycheck? Direct deposit has been standard for the past 2 decades.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Around here a bunch of folks use home heating oil or kerosene to heat their homes. Prices will mirror diesel, minus some taxes.

Not that natural gas, propane or electricity are cheap now in the northeast either. My electric bill has doubled in the last 3 months.

When heating season shows up, there's some folks that are gonna get a rude awakening.

I can see folks paying over $1,000/month for oil heat alone. Our heating season runs 11/1 through 4/1, at a minimum.

Gas prices will be their last worry......
I’m on a level payment plan for natural gas: $58/month. NG is still pretty cheap.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I just see gas in Standish for $4.89 today. The cheapest I've seen in some while.
I will say every time I go out I do see more Tesla's on the road. I don't think there $100.k but they must be $60.k I'd think. But whatever the price a PIA.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I’m on a level payment plan for natural gas: $58/month. NG is still pretty cheap.
Yep, good for you.

I think we had this conversation before.

As I recall, some/all of your NG is produced locally. we had the same here for a while.

Home heating needs are much different in NM than other places where it gets really cold.

I heat my house with wood pellets and fuel oil as a backup.

Many folks in my rural area can’t use NG, because it’s not available within 10-20 miles. I’m within 500 yards of it, but same difference.

Oil, kerosene, or propane are the only options. Many of those rural folks in my area are old and poor.

Cherish your $58.

Others aren’t so fortunate in a lot of ways.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: Why don’t we just start mining lithium in the US?

EPA probably won't allow it ?

If you look at what lithium lining has done in other countries,well, go ahead look...you'll see it ain't nice.

Reactions: 1 user

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
If you look at what lithium lining has done in other countries,well, go ahead look...you'll see it ain't nice.
we don’t care about other countries (except one at the moment) we don’t have to see it

edit to add: /s

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Yep, good for you.

I think we had this conversation before.

As I recall, some/all of your NG is produced locally. we had the same here for a while.

Home heating needs are much different in NM than other places where it gets really cold.

I heat my house with wood pellets and fuel oil as a backup.

Many folks in my rural area can’t use NG, because it’s not available within 10-20 miles. I’m within 500 yards of it, but same difference.

Oil, kerosene, or propane are the only options. Many of those rural folks in my area are old and poor.

Cherish your $58.

Others aren’t so fortunate in a lot of ways.
Understand that not everywhere has cheap natural gas, but it’s still usually cheaper than other products where it’s available. We heated with wood pellets for years because propane was too expensive until converting to NG last year. We have a 6 month heating season and do not have as warm winters as you probably think. I am at 6900 feet elevation.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Gas prices do not matter .

Yup, just did a couple hundred mile round trip to watch a bunch of 5 and 6 year old kids play soccer.
Never once thought about the gas to get there and back.

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Why don’t we just start mining lithium in the US?
We do, in Nevada.

What people have is more money than brains. When these idiots are tailgating me because I wont go more than 5 ove on the country roads I want to say to them, fill my tank and I wil be more than happy to waste it driving 70 in a 55.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
We do, in Nevada.

What people have is more money than brains. When these idiots are tailgating me because I wont go more than 5 ove on the country roads I want to say to them, fill my tank and I wil be more than happy to waste it driving 70 in a 55.
They were not tailgating, they were drafting. Increases their mpg and drags yours down.

• Haha

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
are they mining?
Yes, it is in Silver Peak. Supposedly produces 25% of the worlds Lithium.

Lithium Nevada says it will start mining at Thacker Pass in 2022, initially producing about 30,000 metric tons of lithium carbonate. It will begin production on its second phase in 2025, doubling that number. Officials say it will provide 25% of the world's lithium and will have a mine life of at least 46 years.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Understand that not everywhere has cheap natural gas, but it’s still usually cheaper than other products where it’s available. We heated with wood pellets for years because propane was too expensive until converting to NG last year. We have a 6 month heating season and do not have as warm winters as you probably think. I am at 6900 feet elevation.
Point taken. We covered this before with similar discourse.

I know grandparents my age that keep their house at 55 degrees because they can't afford $3 kerosene. Single wide mobile home with outside tank. Easily 15 miles to the nearest NG service connection.

We get cold here, and sometimes lots of snow. Many nights below 0 degrees.

What are they going to do with $7 kerosene?

They can't afford to buy wood, pellets or coal, let alone the stoves to burn them. They both work, albeit low paying jobs, with pride.

Heck, they struggle to pay their property taxes, lest they lose their home of almost 40 years altogether.....

They will not bow down to any government program to help them. It's dyed in their wool.... Lot of folks like that here.

Too much pride to rely on any "government program"...

They are actually very happy people. They are just of very limited means.

All they've ever known.

They would die for "I’m on a level payment plan for natural gas: $58/month. NG is still pretty cheap. "

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they were to die for it......

Last edited:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
they shouldn’t have to and this is a big problem. As a millennial I know too many that think the government will save them…

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Point taken. We covered this before with similar discourse.

I know grandparents my age that keep their house at 55 degrees because they can't afford $3 kerosene. Single wide mobile home with outside tank. Easily 15 miles to the nearest NG service connection.

We get cold here, and sometimes lots of snow. Many nights below 0 degrees.

What are they going to do with $7 kerosene?

They can't afford to buy wood, pellets or coal, let alone the stoves to burn them. They both work, albeit low paying jobs, with pride.

Heck, they struggle to pay their property taxes, lest they lose their home of almost 40 years altogether.....

They will not bow down to any government program to help them. It's dyed in their wool.... Lot of folks like that here.

They are actually very happy people. They are just of very limited means.

All they've ever known.

They would die for "I’m on a level payment plan for natural gas: $58/month. NG is still pretty cheap. "

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they were to die for it......
I don’t have a solution for them, but it sounds pretty dire. Sounds like the family will need to intervene. I have no experience with heating with oil or kerosene. That’s not done in this part of the country. NG, propane, wood, wood pellets, or electric is all there is around here. I’ve always wondered if oil burners were efficient and economical to use. I think those are an east coast thing.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
they shouldn’t have to and this is a big problem. As a millennial I know too many that think the government will save them…
It’s a little different when you are able bodied and of employment age. I feel for retired people who fall into unfortunate circumstances.