Used B2650 vs. B3030

TRUCK3

May 5, 2022
Upstate NY
I've been getting some good comments on a couple threads regarding my CUT purchase this year. I initially started with B series, small or large frame and then downsized my thinking to possibly even a SCUT (BX or 1025R) since I maybe I could mow as well it. I've since abandoned that thinking and will keep my JD GT for lawn mowing.

With that out of the way, I'm back at the B and figure I probably should go large frame for the additional FEL/hydraulics capability. I'm looking used and I want position control, so that would be the B2650/3350 or the older B3030/B2630 models. I figure I should stay away from the emissions issues with the 3350 and I don't see many B2630 used units out there. So that leaves either the B3030 or the B2650.

From what I can figure, very similar specs, what it comes down to is the 2650 will be newer/likely somewhat less hours and has the FEL controls integral near the seat. B3030 has the extra hp/larger displacement engine with the extra PTO HP and has the FEL controls on the loader.

Hard to tell right now, but I'm thinking my use will be 50/50 FEL work and PTO work (tiller & rotary cutter/flail). Not sure which way to go, I'm leaning toward a B3030 for the extra PTO hp. I figure there are many SCUT/CUTs with the FEL controls on the loader and I figure most are ok with it, or get by with, where hp is hp and there is no way to make up for having less hp (other than I guess downsizing implements). I'd rather live with the B3030 FEL controls instead of less hp most likely.

Given these 2 models, am I missing something and given pricing and hours are comparable, which would you choose?

number two

Equipment
B3030HSDC L2501HST
Mar 26, 2021
Northern Lower Michigan
B2630/B3030 premium tractors are a very good choice!
Sadly the B2630 never really caught on-super strong hydraulic flow!
Our B3030 cab has been an excellent unit for 15 years now.
I would not part with it!
Good Luck!

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I'd personally buy the B2650.

Actually, I'd be tempted by the B3350, because the emissions issues mainly occurred in cold climates, and we're not in a cold climate. And they're very inexpensive. But that's a risk you probably don't need.

But it comes down to what sort of PTO implements you're running. I think the B2650 can run most implements that it's big enough to lift and move. Implements that need 33 HP would generally be more L sized implements I'd think, and so an L2501 or L3x01 might be a better choice if you need implements of that size.

I don't recall exactly the "improvements" in the 50 series v's the 30 series. Do I recall one comes with a digital dash? Not a fan of a digital dash.

Honestly, I feel like there's probably only a few good units out there - a good 3030 with low hours will be way better than a B2650 that's been used hard. And vice versa. They really are the same machine with some minor cosmetic changes I think. As for loader stick - my BX2350 had it off the loader, my B2601 has it on the fender. They both work fine. For long hours you'd care, but for most people you just get used to it.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I think your logic is very sound.

My only concern regarding the B2630/3030 choice is how common, or more importantly uncommon the models are.

More of a concern if not common, and many years have a passed since production. Parts support is first to come to mind. I see some references to B2630/3030's here on OTT, but doesn't seem like many. Not scientific at all; just my impression.

A friend had a B3030 years ago. No loader, strictly a mowing tractor. Loved it; his first Kubota. Many have followed.

I don't know how many Bxx30 series tractors were made or how many are still in service. Just a box I'd want to check off if I were in the market.

TRUCK3

May 5, 2022
Upstate NY
Thanks for the info so far, I don't think I can go wrong with either the B3030 or B2650. However, based on the numbers of used models out there, definitely more B2650s from what I can see. Based on the numbers, probably will end up with a 2650, but if a good condition 3030 shows up on my radar, probably shouldn't pass it up.

Anyone know if a Kubota loader is currently available for the 2650? I do find at least some B models and some 2650s that were used just for mowing with no FEL installed. I know adding a loader isn't likely to save me any $$, but it could give me more options if I find a 2650 in good condition w/o a FEL.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Typically is tour looking at the larger B series frame, your pennies from an Lx series. Still pretty compact but heavier built machine. That being said I have a B7510 my dad has a L245dt. There isn't much one can do that the other can't save for a but more lift capacity for his L. So far ad pto work, we use attachments Interchangeably. His could/would work ground engaging equipment better, but he doesn't live on a farm. As far as brush mowing and typical pto powered stuff they are neck and neck. Actually the B get the vote ad it has a live pto and the L doesn't. You touch the clutch pedal the pto stops dead.
Another thing to think about is the pto hp not the engine hp. You really don't need tons of power for the smaller implements that the B series can handle.
A note on buying a fel separately. I did the bare tractor thing when I bought my B. I actually wish I had spent a little.more money and bought one with a fel on it already. I couldn't locate anything local, kubota doesn't make a current fel for my tractor and basically no one will sell one off the tractor as it makes the tractor nearly worthless. This past winter project was making a fel for my tractor. Not an easy task even having the proper equipment and my dad being a welder fabricator. Right now not counting the material we had on hand I have around $1800.00 into the loader and am impatiently waiting for the rest of the hydraulic fittings to show up so I can get it finished.
Parts availability hasn't ever been a problem for my B or my dad's old L. His is a 77 model. There are a few thing thay can't be bought new for it, but for the most part you can get everything you need for it. Everything is readily available for my B wich is a 2005 vintage. So no worries on a newer machine.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I considered buying a B3200 about a year ago and was amazed at the vibration that the engine produced. After about 5 minutes my hands went numb on the steering wheel. After some research I found that some 4 cylinder engines ,Kubotas included, sometimes exhibit this characteristic. For this reason I would make sure the 4 cylinder equipped B3030 you are considering does not have this problem. The B2650 would be my pick as it is a newer model. Also, for what used Kubota tractors are selling for you might be better off buying a new one. Thats the conclusion I came to last year. Good luck.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Anyone know if a Kubota loader is currently available for the 2650? I do find at least some B models and some 2650s that were used just for mowing with no FEL installed. I know adding a loader isn't likely to save me any $$, but it could give me more options if I find a 2650 in good condition w/o a FEL.
I bought a BX without a loader. The tractor was a bargain from an auction - $2000. The loader cost me about $7,500, because the only loader I could get was brand new (the tractor was 15 years old). And when it came time to sell it.....I had a 15 year old tractor with a loader. It is way way way cheaper and better to buy a tractor with a loader already on it, even if you have to wait a bit longer. New loaders aren't cheap.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Actually the B get the vote as it has a live pto and the L doesn't. You touch the clutch pedal the pto stops dead.
Not sure about the B2650, but I am pretty sure the B3030 has a hydraulically operated clutch, which the operator has little control over. If so, this would be a deal breaker for me. I like the option of feathering the start of 3PH implements using the clutch. Can't imagine using my post hole digger without having the foot clutch...something to consider if you have not thought about it...

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Not sure about the B2650, but I am pretty sure the B3030 has a hydraulically operated clutch, which the operator has little control over. If so, this would be a deal breaker for me. I like the option of feathering the start of 3PH implements using the clutch. Can't imagine using my post hole digger without having the foot clutch...something to consider if you have not thought about it...
My B still has a real clutch pedal, but being hydro I don't need to push it to start and stop like a gear drive tractor. Hence my favor over my dad's L. He doesn't have a 2 stage clutch like newer tractors. Brush mowing with his L just sucks. And yes I use my clutch pedal to start the brush hog on my B.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
My B still has a real clutch pedal, but being hydro I don't need to push it to start and stop like a gear drive tractor. Hence my favor over my dad's L. He doesn't have a 2 stage clutch like newer tractors. Brush mowing with his L just sucks. And yes I use my clutch pedal to start the brush hog on my B.
Same here...I love having the foot clutch on my B2910, and dislike the hydraulic clutch on my BX2200...

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Good luck finding a good used one…be patient and thorough. Hopefully the time spent will pay off. You are wise to avoid the B3350.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I've been getting some good comments on a couple threads regarding my CUT purchase this year. I initially started with B series, small or large frame and then downsized my thinking to possibly even a SCUT (BX or 1025R) since I maybe I could mow as well it. I've since abandoned that thinking and will keep my JD GT for lawn mowing.

With that out of the way, I'm back at the B and figure I probably should go large frame for the additional FEL/hydraulics capability. I'm looking used and I want position control, so that would be the B2650/3350 or the older B3030/B2630 models. I figure I should stay away from the emissions issues with the 3350 and I don't see many B2630 used units out there. So that leaves either the B3030 or the B2650.

From what I can figure, very similar specs, what it comes down to is the 2650 will be newer/likely somewhat less hours and has the FEL controls integral near the seat. B3030 has the extra hp/larger displacement engine with the extra PTO HP and has the FEL controls on the loader.

Hard to tell right now, but I'm thinking my use will be 50/50 FEL work and PTO work (tiller & rotary cutter/flail). Not sure which way to go, I'm leaning toward a B3030 for the extra PTO hp. I figure there are many SCUT/CUTs with the FEL controls on the loader and I figure most are ok with it, or get by with, where hp is hp and there is no way to make up for having less hp (other than I guess downsizing implements). I'd rather live with the B3030 FEL controls instead of less hp most likely.

Given these 2 models, am I missing something and given pricing and hours are comparable, which would you choose?
Be advised that Kubota has silently warranted the B3350 reformer (most likely source of emissions issues) and anything else damaged by a failed reformer for the life of the tractor regardless of ownership.

SDT

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Be advised that Kubota has silently warranted the B3350 reformer (most likely source of emissions issues) and anything else damaged by a failed reformer for the life of the tractor regardless of ownership.

This is why I've decided to keep mine.

SDT

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Thanks for the info so far, I don't think I can go wrong with either the B3030 or B2650. However, based on the numbers of used models out there, definitely more B2650s from what I can see. Based on the numbers, probably will end up with a 2650, but if a good condition 3030 shows up on my radar, probably shouldn't pass it up.

My B2650 came new with a LA534 FEL installed. I think the LA534 is the matched loader unit for B50 series tractors - the B2650 and B3350. Got SSQA with it and 42" 2000lb pallet forks - both indispensable in my experience.
All I can say is if you look at my equip list for my B2650, that the tractor runs them all very well with plenty enough HP and the right weight (properly ballasted, that is) for all the tasks those implements can take on. Have R4 tires, no tire ballast. My box scraper nicely balances with a bit to spare for rear tire grip, with the forks lifting all the hydraulics can lift.