Traded L4060HSTC for MX6000 cab

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I traded my L4060 cab for an MX6000 cab yesterday. I’ve had the L4060 about 3 years. It’s an awesome tractor. I needed more PTO horsepower. I didn’t want to spend for an L6060. The Grand L60 has a number of luxury features I’ll miss, especially the HDS, electronic cruise control, linked throttle, nice multifunctional LCD display and the throttle up button on the loader. However, the MX has the same cab just the plain HST and dash. You get the high horsepower engine and a slightly heavier duty tractor for less money. The MX has better power steering and a better loader, better front tires, and slightly more weight. We’ll see how I like it…if it turns my flail mower better through the heavy grass, I’ll be a happy camper.

Reactions: 8 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I traded my L4060 cab for an MX6000 cab yesterday. I’ve had the L4060 about 3 years. It’s an awesome tractor. I needed more PTO horsepower. I didn’t want to spend for an L6060. The Grand L60 has a number of luxury features I’ll miss, especially the HDS, electronic cruise control, linked throttle, nice multifunctional LCD display and the throttle up button on the loader. However, the MX has the same cab just the plain HST and dash. You get the high horsepower engine and a slightly heavier duty tractor for less money. The MX has better power steering and a better loader, better front tires, and slightly more weight. We’ll see how I like it…if it turns my flail mower better through the heavy grass, I’ll be a happy camper.
Yeah, the Grand L are very nice tractors with the MX focusing on no frills utility. I run a flail mower behind my MX6000 but it's not much of challenge given the kind of stuff I'm cutting. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the MX and how well it runs your flail mower. A friend of mine has an L4060 and would like more hp but his wife doesn't seem to share his opinion.

Congratulations!

Reactions: 1 user

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Yeah, the Grand L are very nice tractors with the MX focusing on no frills utility. I run a flail mower behind my MX6000 but it's not much of challenge given the kind of stuff I'm cutting. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the MX and how well it runs your flail mower. A friend of mine has an L4060 and would like more hp but his wife doesn't seem to share his opinion.

Congratulations!
Thanks mcmxi. I also contemplated (and tried out an M6060) the dealer had, but it was open station. The M6060 is a more significant tractor in terms of weight, the larger 3.3L engine, better loader, a little more PTO horsepower, etc. The cab version was only a few thousand more than the MX at least the way I've configured mine. In the end, I decided I still wanted an HST tractor because I mow steep slopes (dams, reservoirs, capped landfills, etc) and wanted the very precise control near the water's edge, top of a dam, etc. I ran a Glideshift Kubota years ago and it required careful attention in these areas. I took the R4 tires mostly because I really like the wide steam-roller appearance of the MX R4's. I previously had an MX4800 open station with the R1 tires. They grip awesome but are a lot narrower. I always run spacers on the rear, so I've already got 2" Bro-Tek spacers on order. The dealer will set the tires to their widest rim position and load them with BallastStar. My dealer required the optional CCV heater. I've added a couple of rear remotes, the trailer plug, the outside mirrors, the seat arm rests, the rear work lights, rear wiper / washer, and re-added the right side cab door latch and lock. Of course a stereo system; I like the Jensen marine radio the dealer installs with the NOAA weatherband that will actually break in over the radio, bluetooth, CD, etc to warn you of a storm.
Some of the grass I mow will be very dense and tall, the L4060 would struggle through these sections and you'd have to go very slow. The Stall Guard feature would constantly be kicking in. If this machine can power through smoothly, that will be awesome.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Thanks mcmxi. I also contemplated (and tried out an M6060) the dealer had, but it was open station. The M6060 is a more significant tractor in terms of weight, the larger 3.3L engine, better loader, a little more PTO horsepower, etc. The cab version was only a few thousand more than the MX at least the way I've configured mine. In the end, I decided I still wanted an HST tractor because I mow steep slopes (dams, reservoirs, capped landfills, etc) and wanted the very precise control near the water's edge, top of a dam, etc. I ran a Glideshift Kubota years ago and it required careful attention in these areas. I took the R4 tires mostly because I really like the wide steam-roller appearance of the MX R4's. I previously had an MX4800 open station with the R1 tires. They grip awesome but are a lot narrower. I always run spacers on the rear, so I've already got 2" Bro-Tek spacers on order. The dealer will set the tires to their widest rim position and load them with BallastStar. My dealer required the optional CCV heater. I've added a couple of rear remotes, the trailer plug, the outside mirrors, the seat arm rests, the rear work lights, rear wiper / washer, and re-added the right side cab door latch and lock. Of course a stereo system; I like the Jensen marine radio the dealer installs with the NOAA weatherband that will actually break in over the radio, bluetooth, CD, etc to warn you of a storm.
Some of the grass I mow will be very dense and tall, the L4060 would struggle through these sections and you'd have to go very slow. The Stall Guard feature would constantly be kicking in. If this machine can power through smoothly, that will be awesome.
The 6000 does have more PTO HP than your 4060 has but do not expect miracles.

I use a Woods BB720X 6' cutter with my L6060 (same engine) and it is constantly into stall guard during first cutting. Stall guard will routinely take ground speed to zero in the heavy stuff.

Yes, I do cut close but I also keep the blades lawnmower sharp.

Did I mention that it likes its fuel?

One of the features of the GL that I much like is the servo assisted HST pedal. Though I do not like the design of the pedal, the servo assist system requires considerably less pressure to operate the pedal, resulting in less fatigue. I miss the servo assist when stepping off of the GL and onto another of my Kubota HST tractors.

SDT

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I was late to the cab tractor experience but there's no going back to an open station. I was cutting along two driveways last night and the dust would have been brutal with an open station!

I understand the need/desire for an HST tractor, particularly for those tasks that require finesse. One thing I would add though based on my experience running the RCR1884 behind the MX6000 open station last year and the M6060 this year is that in the real-world, performance is significantly further apart than the specs would imply. On paper the engine and pto hp are close when comparing the MX6000 and M6060, but they sure don't feel close when pulling that cutter around.

The local dealer sets up the rear wheels to the second narrowest position unless a customer requests otherwise. I had the dealer set the wheels on the MX to the second widest position recently to increase stability but still allow me to get the tractor on my trailer without struggling. I also have three wheel weights per side and the tractor feels exceptionally well planted. I don't know if you need to put your MX on a trailer, or what kind of trailer you have if you do, but 4" overall of spacers and with the wheels set to the widest position will be very wide for sure.

I have my MX configured in a similar way to yours and wish that the M had a rear wiper/washer. I will most likely add that at some point along with rear defrost.

Keep us posted on how your MX and flail handle the tall stuff. I really hope that your upgrade proves to be what you need.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I was late to the cab tractor experience but there's no going back to an open station. I was cutting along two driveways last night and the dust would have been brutal with an open station!

I understand the need/desire for an HST tractor, particularly for those tasks that require finesse. One thing I would add though based on my experience running the RCR1884 behind the MX6000 open station last year and the M6060 this year is that in the real-world, performance is significantly further apart than the specs would imply. On paper the engine and pto hp are close when comparing the MX6000 and M6060, but they sure don't feel close when pulling that cutter around.

The local dealer sets up the rear wheels to the second narrowest position unless a customer requests otherwise. I had the dealer set the wheels on the MX to the second widest position recently to increase stability but still allow me to get the tractor on my trailer without struggling. I also have three wheel weights per side and the tractor feels exceptionally well planted. I don't know if you need to put your MX on a trailer, or what kind of trailer you have if you do, but 4" overall of spacers and with the wheels set to the widest position will be very wide for sure.

I have my MX configured in a similar way to yours and wish that the M had a rear wiper/washer. I will most likely add that at some point along with rear defrost.

Keep us posted on how your MX and flail handle the tall stuff. I really hope that your upgrade proves to be what you need.
Well, although the M6060 and MX6000 have similar HP numbers, the MX uses the 2.4L turbo 4 cylinder while the M6060 uses a 3.3L turbo 4 cylinder. The biggest difference is torque. The M6060 makes 170lb-ft at 1400RPM while the MX6000 makes 142lb-ft I believe, also at a slightly higher RPM range. The M6060 is also a larger, heavier machine.

From my perspective, adding 19.3PTO horsepower is going to make a significant difference running the same exact 78" flail mower...otherwise there would be no point in buying higher HP machines. Horsepower isn't important for loader work, but it is for PTO work. I will keep you guys updated.

Regarding the trailer...yes, I move my tractor to various job sites. I'm running a 30' Big Tex gooseneck trailer that is the max legal width of 102" wide. Shouldn't be an issue at all.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
The 6000 does have more PTO HP than your 4060 has but do not expect miracles.

I use a Woods BB720X 6' cutter with my L6060 (same engine) and it is constantly into stall guard during first cutting. Stall guard will routinely take ground speed to zero in the heavy stuff.

Yes, I do cut close but I also keep the blades lawnmower sharp.

Did I mention that it likes its fuel?

One of the features of the GL that I much like is the servo assisted HST pedal. Though I do not like the design of the pedal, the servo assist system requires considerably less pressure to operate the pedal, resulting in less fatigue. I miss the servo assist when stepping off of the GL and onto another of my Kubota HST tractors.

SDT
Well sure, I understand its not a 100HP machine, but the added nearly 20PTO HP is going to make *some* difference. Stall guard is nice, but sometimes it can be a hindrance. The MX uses a hydraulic servo hydrostatic pedal, so it is just as easy to operate as the Grand L 60. In fact, the L60 doesn't use a servo pedal at all, it is fully electronic with only an electrical connector plugged into it and lightweight springs for resistance off neutral position. That's how the H-DS system works its magic, in being able to increase engine speed for the loader without changing ground speed, etc.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Regarding the trailer...yes, I move my tractor to various job sites. I'm running a 30' Big Tex gooseneck trailer that is the max legal width of 102" wide. Shouldn't be an issue at all.
So your trailer is a deck over? I have 81-3/4" between the fenders on mine so I have to think about that when setting up the rear wheels.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Yes, deckover. I've had equipment hauler trailers with the deck between the fenders and aside from being lower, the narrower deck is a hindrance to me.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Congrats. I added an MX last year. I play in the woods a lot and don’t like to clean windows and hate dirty windows…so I went with an open station. It was a the biggest I could get with HST. That requirement was a combination of most of my uses and safety for spousal unit to operate. It’s great. I run a LP cutter that covers the tracks and I cut a lot of tall (waist high) dense wet grass…it has no issue…I don’t typically try mow very fast though. I use as a brush hog on young forest and again it has no issues…for what it is it is a significant step up from my other current which is a B.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
There are times an open station is the superior choice. Any time mowing near a treeline, or backing under trees, its better. It also has better visibility. Its less expensive. The ROPS can fold down, allowing it to be parked in lower buildings if need be. You can get on and off the tractor more quickly.

The cab has advantages too, mainly not having to breathe all the dust and grass chaff. Being cool or warm is nice, but if that was it I'd pass. I can always bundle up in the winter or dress lightly (and be sweaty) in the summer. Its also nice to not have to wear hearing protection all day, nice not to get stung by bees or bitten by flies, nice not getting wet when a sudden downpour comes along. I also like being able to lock up the cab and having a secure place to keep something if need be. Ideally, I'd have one of each.

Here's my chronology of Kubota tractors:
2013 B2920 HST >> 2002 L4310 GST >> 2018 MX4800 HST >> 2019 L2501 HST >> 2019 L4060 HSTC >> 2022 MX6000 HSTC

Reactions: 2 users

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Well sure, I understand its not a 100HP machine, but the added nearly 20PTO HP is going to make *some* difference. Stall guard is nice, but sometimes it can be a hindrance. The MX uses a hydraulic servo hydrostatic pedal, so it is just as easy to operate as the Grand L 60. In fact, the L60 doesn't use a servo pedal at all, it is fully electronic with only an electrical connector plugged into it and lightweight springs for resistance off neutral position. That's how the H-DS system works its magic, in being able to increase engine speed for the loader without changing ground speed, etc.
The L6060 is electric over hydraulic. Obviously, the hydraulic systems in the HST are servo controlled.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
The L6060 is electric over hydraulic. Obviously, the hydraulic systems in the HST are servo controlled.
Right. The actual pedal in the MX is operating the hydraulic servos directly which operate the main HST valves. The L60 uses electric first, but the point is that in terms of pedal effort, they are equally easy. My old standard L and B series were directly operated HST from the pedal so you would feel more resistance and vibration sometimes.

TomGT350

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC
Aug 20, 2021
Maryland
Good luck with the MX6000, I just bought my second one this week. I remember you form the Ford truck forum, you were very helpful during my (first) F450 purchase.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Glad I was helpful. I have a 2020 Mustang GT Premium 6MT and my old 2005 F350 dually Powerstroke. Otherwise for the trucks I drive RAM now.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Good luck with the MX6000, I just bought my second one this week. I remember you form the Ford truck forum, you were very helpful during my (first) F450 purchase.
Did you buy another MX6000 or an M? I thought you were moving up to an M4. Curious minds need to know. :D

TomGT350

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC
Aug 20, 2021
Maryland
Did you buy another MX6000 or an M? I thought you were moving up to an M4. Curious minds need to know. :D
I had a deposit on a M4 last week, 2 things occurred - 1. The cost of the wheels/tires came in considerably more than the estimate. 2. I had confused the height of the M4 with the MX, which would have required putting up another storage building for the M4 due to the additional height.

I found a new MX6000 about 900 miles away and am having it shipped.

Reactions: 1 users

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I had a deposit on a M4 last week, 2 things occurred - 1. The cost of the wheels/tires came in considerably more than the estimate. 2. I had confused the height of the M4 with the MX, which would have required putting up another storage building for the M4 due to the additional height.

I found a new MX6000 about 900 miles away and am having it shipped.
Seems like the shipping cost of 900 miles would exceed the cost of a different tire package with fuel prices these days, but maybe I'm wrong. Putting up another building would be costly of course.

The M4 is quite a nice machine - I came close to going with an M6060 cab since the price was nearly the same, but for me the HST transmission is better for the steep slope work I do.

TomGT350

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC
Aug 20, 2021
Maryland
Seems like the shipping cost of 900 miles would exceed the cost of a different tire package with fuel prices these days, but maybe I'm wrong. Putting up another building would be costly of course.

The M4 is quite a nice machine - I came close to going with an M6060 cab since the price was nearly the same, but for me the HST transmission is better for the steep slope work I do.
The cost for commercial to commercial shipping is much better than I originally thought, $1,550 or $1.73mi. On the M4 the tires/wheels switch from R1's to R14's with shipping was $3,900 and 4 week wait. The cost of the M4 vs the MX6000 was roughly 19K. I solicited 3 prices for 30x40 buildings, $40K - $85K and I really just don't need another building. Putting a higher door on one of the existing buildings really isn't possible, they're arched brick with center stones.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
The cost for commercial to commercial shipping is much better than I originally thought, $1,550 or $1.73mi. On the M4 the tires/wheels switch from R1's to R14's with shipping was $3,900 and 4 week wait. The cost of the M4 vs the MX6000 was roughly 19K. I solicited 3 prices for 30x40 buildings, $40K - $85K and I really just don't need another building. Putting a higher door on one of the existing buildings really isn't possible, they're arched brick with center stones.
That price for shipping is shockingly low. I figured $2500-$3k. I didn't know you wanted R14's. Those are in high demand - I'm not totally convinced they are the be-all-end-all of tires, but who knows. I like R4's because they tend to wear well and they have a wide tread patch compared to the more rounded R1 or even R14 tires. Buildings - yeah, you could buy yet another tractor for those prices. Makes sense.