M4D-071HDC12

JP_Austin

Equipment
2021 Kubota M4D-071
Feb 15, 2022
Austin TX
I went wit the M4D-071 and have not regretted it. Yes it has a few creature comforts and if I tried to add that to lesser packages it was the same price or more. Im not getting any younger and wanted those features. As for not having a HST... this is exactly the reason I went with a standard trans. Under heavy load the HST can overheat. Im used to clutch driving so the lack of fine control is not an issue. The air ride seat is hard to overcome if you test drive other models.

BTW - I was considering the M5-091 (111) but was a bit more tractor than I needed. I may regret that later on but so far I have not run across any task that required that extra power or heft.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I went wit the M4D-071 and have not regretted it. Yes it has a few creature comforts and if I tried to add that to lesser packages it was the same price or more. Im not getting any younger and wanted those features. As for not having a HST... this is exactly the reason I went with a standard trans. Under heavy load the HST can overheat. Im used to clutch driving so the lack of fine control is not an issue. The air ride seat is hard to overcome if you test drive other models.

BTW - I was considering the M5-091 (111) but was a bit more tractor than I needed. I may regret that later on but so far I have not run across any task that required that extra power or heft.
I've driven manual vehicles my entire life too, but don't typically "feather" the clutch much since it causes more wear on the clutch disk, pressure plate and flywheel. I don't know if feathering a wet clutch is less of an issue but it's not something that I'm used to doing for extended periods.

I like the geared tractor for specific tasks such as pulling the trailer, pulling the rotary cutter, long runs in the field, etc. The MX is better for other applications.

I'm very pleased with the combination of an MX6000 and M6060 but I would personally choose an M5 over an M4, but that's just me. If I'm going to spend M4 kind of money I'd rather spend M5 money and get a considerable bump in hp for about the same cost.

@TomGT350, it's your money and your choice but I'm looking forward to seeing what you choose. I think it's hard to go wrong with any of the models mentioned.

Last edited:

TomGT350

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC
Aug 20, 2021
Maryland
I've driven manual vehicles my entire life too, but don't typically "feather" the clutch much since it causes more wear on the clutch disk, pressure plate and flywheel. I don't know if feathering a wet clutch is less of an issue but it's not something that I'm used to doing for extended periods.

I like the geared tractor for specific tasks such as pulling the trailer, pulling the rotary cutter, long runs in the field, etc. The MX is better for other applications.

I'm very pleased with the combination of an MX6000 and M6060 but I would personally choose an M5 over an M4, but that's just me. If I'm going to spend M4 kind of money I'd rather spend M5 money and get a considerable bump in hp for about the same cost.

@TomGT350, it's your money and your choice but I'm looking forward to seeing what you choose. I think it's hard to go wrong with any of the models mentioned.
Now I'm waiting on tire/wheel information. The M4 that I'm looking at has the R1's, I don't want them for my use, I would prefer the R4's. The R4's are smaller that the R1's, the dealer is willing to switch them but the wheels may be different too. There's a M5 sitting right next to the M4, from a side view they look identical but from the rear the M5 looks wider. The frame also looks heavier, which it must be.

The thing that Kubota does very well with these machines is to have a great deal of overlap from model to model. So easy to be looking at say, the MX6000, then see a 6060, 7060, M4, M5 and convince yourself of the need for the next level. I know for me its easy to talk myself into the next level machine. At this rate I'll be looking at the M8 by next week. :)

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Now I'm waiting on tire/wheel information. The M4 that I'm looking at has the R1's, I don't want them for my use, I would prefer the R4's. The R4's are smaller that the R1's, the dealer is willing to switch them but the wheels may be different too. There's a M5 sitting right next to the M4, from a side view they look identical but from the rear the M5 looks wider. The frame also looks heavier, which it must be.

The thing that Kubota does very well with these machines is to have a great deal of overlap from model to model. So easy to be looking at say, the MX6000, then see a 6060, 7060, M4, M5 and convince yourself of the need for the next level. I know for me its easy to talk myself into the next level machine. At this rate I'll be looking at the M8 by next week. :)
When I picked up the M6060 there was an M5 next to it and it was wider and beefier but not much of a step up in overall size. There's way more of a jump between the MX and M6060/M7060 tractors compared to the difference between the M6060/M7060, M4 and M5.

I hear you on the wheels. I didn't like the skinny R1 tires on 24" wheels on the front wheels of the M6060 so upgraded them to a much wider R1 tire on a 20" wheel.

Looking forward to seeing what you end up with.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Here are a couple of photos taken the day that I picked up the M6060. It's shown next to an M5-091 which looks bigger than I remember. :p I would still say that the difference between an MX6000 and M6060 is more obvious than the difference between the two below ... but maybe not.

From where I sit, if you'd consider an M4 it might be worth considering an M5. That's really what I'm getting at.

m5-091&m6060.jpg

m5-091&m6060_02.jpg

Last edited:

Hozzie

Equipment
M7060 Cab
Nov 21, 2018
Middle TN
The problem with R4's on the M7060 is the rim sizes. They are way smaller than the R1's. I don't do any real farming and do a lot of driving over my "lawn" so I opted for the R14's. On 34" rims in the rear and I think 24's on the front. Very happy with them for my needs so far. For me, they really are a great compromise between the R1's and R4's.

Reactions: 1 user

TomGT350

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC
Aug 20, 2021
Maryland
The problem with R4's on the M7060 is the rim sizes. They are way smaller than the R1's. I don't do any real farming and do a lot of driving over my "lawn" so I opted for the R14's. On 34" rims in the rear and I think 24's on the front. Very happy with them for my needs so far. For me, they really are a great compromise between the R1's and R4's.

Thanks for the tire information, sounds like the r14's would suit me better.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

I've stayed away from R14s so far due to the manager at the local dealer telling me that they see way more problems with those tires compared to the R1 and R4 options, mostly cuts, rigid objects punching through and slices. They were ranked #5 in the nation for sales last year and have a wide customer base up here with lots of farmers and some large mines, not to mention a lot of non-farming types with 5 to 500 acres. I know it's anecdotal and regional but that's what he told me.

Hozzie

Equipment
M7060 Cab
Nov 21, 2018
Middle TN
I've stayed away from R14s so far due to the manager at the local dealer telling me that they see way more problems with those tires compared to the R1 and R4 options, mostly cuts, rigid objects punching through and slices. They were ranked #5 in the nation for sales last year and have a wide customer base up here with lots of farmers and some large mines, not to mention a lot of non-farming types with 5 to 500 acres. I know it's anecdotal and regional but that's what he told me.
I have a lot of rock, but haven't had it long enough to know how they will hold up. They were the only real option for me as far as I was concerned for what I do. I do have liquitube in them so any punctures up to 1/2" should be sealed. I also have Rimguard in the rears and didn't want it leaking out with a puncture.

Time will tell, but I am very happy with them so far.

TomGT350

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC
Aug 20, 2021
Maryland
I want to thank everyone for the their help and suggestions. I made a deal on a new M4D-071hdc12 today.
IMG_4291.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
We're switching out the R1tires/wheels for R14's, they will ship with cast wheels.
Also very nice. I thought about cast wheels for the M6060 but decided to go with beet juice in the tires and wheel weights. Do you know how much the cast wheels weigh? It looks like you can add weights to the cast wheels if needed.

By the way, after driving six miles in the M6060 and six miles in the MX6000 to/from the dealer, I have to say that the M6060 has a way better ride, so I think you're going to enjoy that M4. I know I would.

TomGT350

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC
Aug 20, 2021
Maryland
Also very nice. I thought about cast wheels for the M6060 but decided to go with beet juice in the tires and wheel weights. Do you know how much the cast wheels weigh? It looks like you can add weights to the cast wheels if needed.

By the way, after driving six miles in the M6060 and six miles in the MX6000 to/from the dealer, I have to say that the M6060 has a way better ride, so I think you're going to enjoy that M4. I know I would.
I don't know the exact weight but from my buyers order there is an explanation for a shipping charge for the R14's with cast wheels: "The R14's weigh 1,418 lbs. more than the R4's, that
is why the charge of $338." I'll try to find to the weights. I thought the MX6000 ride was a little harsh, but I was expecting that.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I don't know the exact weight but from my buyers order there is an explanation for a shipping charge for the R14's with cast wheels: "The R14's weigh 1,418 lbs. more than the R4's, that
is why the charge of $338." I'll try to find to the weights. I thought the MX6000 ride was a little harsh, but I was expecting that.
Thanks. Are you going to add ballast to the tires as well?

I've got a few more hours on the M6060 and I like it more and more. It's such a tank of a tractor and easy to operate, although I'm still using the clutch more than I need to. Old habits die hard.

Looking forward to seeing the M4 in your fancy shop/garage.