Top N Tilt

HuntIL2

Mar 31, 2022
Illinois
How many rear remotes do you need to run a Top N Tilt? I saw something that said 1 but then saw a post somewhere (of course I couldn't find it again) where it said you needed 2.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
How many rear remotes do you need to run a Top N Tilt? I saw something that said 1 but then saw a post somewhere (of course I couldn't find it again) where it said you needed 2.
Top and tilt is a DA hydraulic top link and a DA hydraulic side link. At a minimum two DA cylinders requires two sets of remote outlets. You would typically have two double acting valves to go with them but its possible to use one valve and switch it back and forth betwen the outlets.

Does that answer your question?

Dan

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
3. If that's an option for your tractor...
you need 2 for 'top and tilt' AND a spare, cause sooner or later , you'll need it....
probably 'cost effective' to get 3 now.....instead of a 3rd , later on.

My forklift was preplumbed for 3..keep wondering what I could use it for.

HuntIL2

Mar 31, 2022
Illinois
Top and tilt is a DA hydraulic top link and a DA hydraulic side link. At a minimum two DA cylinders requires two sets of remote outlets. You would typically have two double acting valves to go with them but its possible to use one valve and switch it back and forth betwen the outlets.

Dan
Man I'm an idiot....I get it, so one for the top and one for the side. I'll be honest I completely forgot about the side movement which I think is why I was confused. Thanks

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Man I'm an idiot....I get it, so one for the top and one for the side. I'll be honest I completely forgot about the side movement which I think is why I was confused. Thanks
Idiots don't ask questions - they simply plunge blindly into the abyss.

Dan

Reactions: 4 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Actually you need two for each operation.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Beware the ambiguous antecedent - the bane of clear communication. One valve and one set of outlets for each remote function.

Dan
He didn’t ask how many “sets” of remotes… His question implied how many individual he needed… so I wanted to make that clearer. ;)

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
He didn’t ask how many “sets” of remotes… His question implied how many individual he needed… so I wanted to make that clearer. ;)
You said " you need two for each function". Two what? This is why I am advocating for careful use of pronouns and precision in terminology.

In common tractor lexicon a remote is an individual valve. That is what Kubota means when the catalog says a machine comes with one remote standard and can have a maximum of 3. E.G. the machine comes with one valve and you can add two more for a total of three. Depending on the type of valve any individual remote could require one, two, or even more outlets per valve.

Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Skip to 4:15 to see how Mike refers to “two sets”:

Also, Messicks refers to them as “sets” of remotes:

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
It's like pants. You don't go and buy one pant. They call it a pair of pants - there are two legs and one waist. It is one unit, but it's still called a pair.

Same goes for remotes. One remote set includes an innie and an outie and a valve to control which way is which. It is still only one.

Reactions: 1 users

HuntIL2

Mar 31, 2022
Illinois
It's like pants. You don't go and buy one pant. They call it a pair of pants - there are two legs and one waist. It is one unit, but it's still called a pair.

Same goes for remotes. One remote set includes an innie and an outie and a valve to control which way is which. It is still only one.
That's how I thought if it....just like pants...Thanks everyone

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
That's how I thought if it....just like pants...Thanks everyone
I would disagree.

A single acting remote has one outie which is also the innie.

A hydraulic motor remote with case drain has one outie and two innies.

A double acting remote has two bidirectional outlets.

When a tractor dealer talks remotes he is talking valves not outlets. Here is my tractor. It does not have eight remotes - it has four. One constant flow and three double acting.

Dan

20210922_082307.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I would disagree.

A single acting remote has one outie which is also the innie.

A hydraulic motor remote with case drain has one outie and two innies.

A double acting remote has two bidirectional outlets.

When a tractor dealer talks remotes he is talking valves not outlets. Here is my tractor. It does not have eight remotes - it has four. One constant flow and three double acting.

Dan

View attachment 80262
OK, so much for technicalities...BUT the thread title IS Top & Tilt.

Doubt anyone would use a single acting valve on a top and tilt setup...

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
OK, so much for technicalities...BUT the thread title IS Top & Tilt.

Doubt anyone would use a single acting valve on a top and tilt setup...
My original answer to the original question was quite explicit and I tried to avoid any ambiguities about what was what. Notice I said two "sets" of outlets and two valves to go with them, I also explained that it was possible to do it using one remote valve and a selector valve just in case he had a tractor with a single remote valve already installed.

Q: How many rear remotes do you need to run a Top N Tilt? I saw something that said 1 but then saw a post somewhere (of course I couldn't find it again) where it said you needed 2.

A: Top and tilt is a DA hydraulic top link and a DA hydraulic side link. At a minimum two DA cylinders requires two sets of remote outlets. You would typically have two double acting valves to go with them but its possible to use one valve and switch it back and forth betwen the outlets.

The conversation has since gone off the rails.

Dan

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
You said " you need two for each function". Two what? This is why I am advocating for careful use of pronouns and precision in terminology.

In common tractor lexicon a remote is an individual valve. That is what Kubota means when the catalog says a machine comes with one remote standard and can have a maximum of 3. E.G. the machine comes with one valve and you can add two more for a total of three. Depending on the type of valve any individual remote could require one, two, or even more outlets per valve.

Dan
Exactly right. Kubota is clear on this, but what do they know? Let's defer to someone who say's EGRONOMIC when describing the layout of the controls of Kubota products.

In the M6060/M7060 brochure Kubota states ....

"One (SCD) hydraulic remote valve is standard, with the option to add up to 2 more"

The "remote" is the valve, not the hydraulic couplers that go to the valve.

There's a member here that keeps referring to his MX-6000. Clearly he's never paid attention to what Kubota bothered to place on the hood. Nomenclature is important and this is no exception.