Can't remove propshaft from gearhead on rotary cutter.....ideas?

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
The joys of working neglected old equipment v new or well maintained equipment. 5 minute job turns into a major project. At least you didn’t have to split the yoke with an angle grinder to remove it in pieces. Very good result getting it apart without any collateral damage.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
Well....I have to say 'It put up a good fight'. Getting the Ujoint out was a feat in itself, but finally got that done and down to the yoke(y). After a couple of broken 1/2" bits (and having to punch them out) I rigged up a carbide burr and was able to bevel the hole in both sides of the input shaft, insuring no metal shards/dings were holding it back.

View attachment 79788
View attachment 79789

After that.....I set up a 4 ton/2 Jaw puller and put a LOT of pressure on it. The Yoke didn't budge, in fact...I'm sure I heard it laugh.

View attachment 79790

Not to be denied....I got the big gun out (20 ton/3 jaw puller) and 3/4" breaker bar.

View attachment 79791

Even with that....it would build up pressure where you would think the whole darn thing was going to fly apart, then it'd 'Pop' and move about 1/8". Did that the entire way off.

As first suspected....the Yoke and Input shaft had simply 'rust welded' themselves together.

View attachment 79793

I will install new U-joints and apply a 'generous' amount of anti-seize to the shaft when putting the yoke back on. Don't want to do this again.
The picture clearly shows that a properly sized external snap ring should be installed , as always do as you feel is best.

Reactions: 1 users

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
The picture clearly shows that a properly sized external snap ring should be installed , as always do as you feel is best.
Yes, yes....yes!

That has been mentioned and acknowledged several times. And I will install one when I am through. The PREVIOUS owner apparently was running it without (knowingly or unknowingly).

But the thrust of this thread concerns getting the yoke OFF....so I can service the drive shaft, nothing more or less.

It is appreciated that for safety sake some type of retaining device is required. I am not now or at any point in this thread arguing that. But Thank You. (y)

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
There has to be something to prevent the yoke from sliding off the gearbox input shaft when the bolt shears. You said there was no snap ring, how about a spiral ring or wire ring or a roll pin drilled off center that crosses a groove in the input shaft.
Put a smaller diameter bolt in the hole and start mowing.
Nothing on mine. It was stuck and required some persuasion with a BFH.

Dan

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Reminder to self: squirt some WD-40 there on mine because it sat down below in the rain because I had to remove the QH and leave the brush hog sitting there to bring the tractor up to get the 3ph repaired from the right side lift arm coming off due to pin loss at end of shaft.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
For farm equipment 'AntiSeize' is your friend. Not grease, not oil.....AntiSeize. It stays put and lasts a long time.

Just don't get any on yourself. A little goes a long way and its not easy to get off.

antiseize.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Molley lube is great for that sort of stuff too. Not molley grease, molley lube. Even when it's dry it's tenacious and for some reason does well at resisting rust.