Tack Cable

South 40

Equipment
L1500DT, 750 Ford backhoe, 49 D4 Cat Repowered with 6.9L Diesel
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey Everyone,

Is the tack cable the same for the 1500 as it is for the 175, I think I read somewhere that they are different?

Thanks
Samantha

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I don't know which cable is what but in many cases you may be able to replace the inner cable rather than replacing the sheath, too.

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
I don't know which cable is what but in many cases you may be able to replace the inner cable rather than replacing the sheath, too.
Thanks for the quick response.

The cable was cut right before where it goes inside the engine, so a replacement was required, sighs...

I just found and ordered one from Southern Global in MS, pricey but at least now I have one on the way, I just hope and pray it actually fits and works.

Cheers
Samantha

Reactions: 1 user

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey Folks,

Well I got my cable yesterday, and YEAH it will work, perfect replacement, so now I will have a tach again, :)

Cheers
Samantha

Reactions: 1 user

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey Folks,

Well like I said have the new tack cable, but was in the process of trying to clean out where the engine end of the cable goes, here:

20220514_140542.jpg

I couldn't get the hole cleaned out to suit me, so I decided to take the whole block off for easier access and found this:
20220514_140533.jpg

Plus the gears inside are locked up big time, so I opened the parts file and nowhere does it show that assembly, anyone have that?

Any ideas where to find the parts or a whole new assembly?

New cable won't help with all that.

Cheers
Samantha

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey Folks,

Anyone taken one of these completely apart before, I got the large plug/cap/bolt whatever it's called off and got the main shaft, (that goes to the engine) out, man is that thing cruddy inside, but I got that shaft/worm gear all cleaned up, and a cpl of the teeth have a few rough spots but should be fine.

Now I have to get the other 2 caps off, but I can't get a wrench on them, anyone removed them, what did you use?

Those have to come off it's the only way I will be able to get the rest of this clean and inspect the other worm gear for damage.

HELP!!!

Cheers
Samantha

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey Folks,

Well it's been awhile since I have posted anything so I have a bit of catching up to do.

I did take the tack gearbox apart, man was that a crudy mess, but I finally had my machine shop make a wrench to get the 2 smaller plugs out, after a complete disassemble I scrubbed everything, and had my machinist weld the tip back on where it engages the engine, then mill it back so it would fit, got everything greased real good, and today I finally got it all put back together, made a gasket to remount it, added a bit of STP and put it all together and reinstalled on the engine.

I did find a new cable that will be going back on.

Cheers
Samantha