Price check for L2501HST

WDF

Equipment
Kubota L2501 HST/FEL
Jan 4, 2021
Central Florida
In that hp range, the difference is significant; especially related to pto hp and the implements that can be operated.
I feel that frame size will be much more limiting with the standard L-series than power will ever be.
That said, I wish I had sprung for the L3301 vs the L2501, only for the cleaner exhaust that gets routed towards the operator.

eugene89us

Equipment
L2501HST
Apr 13, 2022
Mississippi
@WDF You're not kidding - I was surprised by how smelly the exhaust was once I had the tractor delivered. I think test driving it on the lot happened on a windy day. Not sure of why the exhaust pipe was not routed to the back or at least pointing down and away. Instead, it points forward, so all the smoke would rise toward the driver. Oh, well, at least it is stinky but reliable...

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
If you don’t have a heavy implement + less overall weight (no filled tires, no backhoe, etc), rev high, don’t plan to do much heavy duty ground engagement, and not on steep hills, the 2501 HP is more than the enough to exceed the weight of the tractor. That said, IMO it wont be if the above conditions apply (or a mix of them).

The 2501/3301/3901 are all rated for mostly the same implements. For some, 2501 is 1 step down. The impact of that is that you just go a little slower to get the same job done. 33/39 are the same tractor with the 39 just being tuned tto burn more fuel for more power.

I personally wouldn’t want to breathing diesel fumes. That’s a big deal for me as my health is important.

Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I feel that frame size will be much more limiting with the standard L-series than power will ever be.
That said, I wish I had sprung for the L3301 vs the L2501, only for the cleaner exhaust that gets routed towards the operator.
The cleaner exhaust is nice, but pto hp is indeed a factor on tractors of that size.

forky

Equipment
L2501 HST 4X4 8N
Feb 23, 2021
Wisconsin
It's only a factor if you need more HP. If you don't, it's a non-issue. Mine works without any more needed PTO power with my tiller, and for the box scraper and implements like that don't require the added PTO. Only specific implements are an issue. If you don't need them, why pay for added HP cost and regen issues? Makes no sense to me.

Reactions: 2 users

Advil

Jan 5, 2022
West Coast
In the current market you'll be able to switch if you really need to.

Our principle reason for justifying the order of the L3902 was the wood chipper purchase. If we purchased a stand alone wood chipper with engine as large as the L3902 can run off its PTO... it would cost more than the price difference between the tractor models. So might as well get extra hp on the tractor which has far more potential uses. "I have too much hp" - said no one ever.

We could have gone for a slightly bigger tractor frame in the same price range and frankly for the extra front end loader lift capacity I wish it was justifiable, but we need woods maneuverability and there are absolute maximum widths and lengths that will work and this frame size is already pushing it. Tough decisions had to be made.

Reactions: 1 users

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
It's only a factor if you need more HP. If you don't, it's a non-issue. Mine works without any more needed PTO power with my tiller, and for the box scraper and implements like that don't require the added PTO. Only specific implements are an issue. If you don't need them, why pay for added HP cost and regen issues? Makes no sense to me.
There are conditions where at least 25 pto hp is necessary to run a 5’ cutter. Does not apply if you are only cutting short grass.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
If you don’t have a heavy implement + less overall weight (no filled tires, no backhoe, etc), rev high, don’t plan to do much heavy duty ground engagement, and not on steep hills, the 2501 HP is more than the enough to exceed the weight of the tractor. That said, IMO it wont be if the above conditions apply (or a mix of them).

The 2501/3301/3901 are all rated for mostly the same implements. For some, 2501 is 1 step down. The impact of that is that you just go a little slower to get the same job done. 33/39 are the same tractor with the 39 just being tuned tto burn more fuel for more power.

I personally wouldn’t want to breathing diesel fumes. That’s a big deal for me as my health is important.
I do like my tier 4 tractor with much less diesel fumes, but I have seen some threads where people have dealt with that issue by routing the exhaust to the rear using flexible exhaust pipe.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I'll be the Huckleberry:
With today's world economic conditions (potential collapse), I expect prices to fall in the next couple years. With job losses and people selling their tractors to buy food and ammunition. It may be a stretch.

I avoid computer controls as much as possible and even though I want something in the 40 to 60 HP range for my property I'll be buying something without the diesel exhaust BS.

Those who like their tier 4 diesel because it smells less should research it. The exhaust particulates are reduced to microscopic size that can seep into your skin. I've grown to love the smell of diesel exhaust. If I can smell it, I know it's there. Lol. With Tier 4, you won't smell it as much, but it's definitely still there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Considering where we are with pricing. Sooner is probably better than later unless you think the crash will happen first. Even then, that might kill the financing deals if that is interesting for you.

I'm a L2501HST owner of 16 months. I'd rather buy implements than more HP. Tractors don't do a lot without implements. I'd buy a MX before I'd buy a L3901. The MX is really much more tractor. The L3901/2, not so much. I could go maybe 1/4 faster with a L3901 for something I do about every 6 weeks. (maintaining our section of our private road)

However, you would have absolutely no issues selling an L2501HST if you decide to do it later and upgrade. There are enough people like me that don't want a DPF to easily sell it.

Reactions: 3 users

AzDoug

Equipment
Bx2230 - l2501 - Komatsu micro excavator
May 8, 2022
Arizona
All- pricing for the l2501 is quit different from dealer to dealer . I was quoted 28,500 from local dealer and would have to wait 6 months . Used price for low hours are over 20 thousand. Went online bought a package deal $29,999 l2501 HST , R4 tires , la526 newer design, land pride brush hog , land pride box blade , trailer 7000 pound light duty . The 0% finance was great in this economy.
I paid $2500 extra for 14000 pound trailer . Dealer through in grab bar and bucket level .
package deal is a good deal if you need trailer and implements

Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
U

I certainly do understand current tractor pricing/valuation.

34 months ago I bought a 2006, 251 hour Kubota L48 TLB from an original owner, for $32K.
I did not need a loan!

The HST L48 looks nearly new, ( I repainted the wheels and ROPS hat ) and has a hyd. thumb, Q/A loader bucket, Q/C hoe bucket, 3 rear remotes, a hyd. lock/unock system for the loader bucket, and 3rd function.
All the bells & whistles.

From what I can determine through comparables ( there actually has not been a true comparable sold that I have been able to find ), I estimate the current value of my L48 TLB to be in excess of $42K.

A $10K+ value increase equals 31% over 34 months.

I very seriously doubt that I could have made a better tax free investment, anywhere!
And.......I have had the physical use of that investment, readily available for me to play with, for the entire 34 months.
My adult children will likely be the ones to eventually sell it........not me!

A heavy equipment owner friend jokingly says I "stole it".
(seller had original documentation)
Who doesn't love a good tractor deal?
You could be right on with your estimate. But until the L48 is sold, that is only “feel good” money. Just like stock market gains are only gains if you cash out. Market crash and the money you thought you had is no longer there.

My bet is you did good on that purchase though. And since you are not selling, why not feel good about it? I would too…

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
You could be right on with your estimate. But until the L48 is sold, that is only “feel good” money. Just like stock market gains are only gains if you cash out. Market crash and the money you thought you had is no longer there.

My bet is you did good on that purchase though. And since you are not selling, why not feel good about it? I would too…
I am aware of two L48's with lesser accessories, and listed by dealers, that will likely bring more $ than mine would.