Gooseneck vs Bumper Pull

WDF

Equipment
Kubota L2501 HST/FEL
Jan 4, 2021
Central Florida
I've got a 20' equipment trailer (14k rated) - with the fenders. It's a pretty stout model made by a local company that I bought to carry my tractors and old trucks on.
Recently came across a situation that I needed to carry a larger tractor than could fit between the fenders (74" between fenders), so my only other option is to get a deckover. If I'm going deckover, might as well get a gooseneck model.
Any comments on owning/operating a gooseneck trailer? Will pull behind a GMC 2500HD Duramax crew cab single wheel 4x4.

Something like this is what I have in mind.
E189CAC7-42D2-4601-A266-04BBE0BBB0D2.jpg

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I have a gooseneck stock trailer and I much prefer it over a bumper pull, especially for heavy loads. They are easier to back and more stable on the highway because the pivot point is above the truck axles. You have the correct truck for a gooseneck, so go for it. The only downside I see is higher cost. Get a nice fold down hide a ball in your truck bed and you’re good to go.

Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I've got a 20' equipment trailer (14k rated) - with the fenders. It's a pretty stout model made by a local company that I bought to carry my tractors and old trucks on.
Recently came across a situation that I needed to carry a larger tractor than could fit between the fenders (74" between fenders), so my only other option is to get a deckover. If I'm going deckover, might as well get a gooseneck model.
Any comments on owning/operating a gooseneck trailer? Will pull behind a GMC 2500HD Duramax crew cab single wheel 4x4.

Something like this is what I have in mind.
View attachment 78572
GO FOR IT !
Once you have owned a gooseneck, you will NEVER go back to bumper pull!

Reactions: 4 users

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
I’ve loaded vehicles/equipment on trailers that were wider than the fenders. Just had some 2x6 or 2x8’s, whichever the height of the deck to top of the fender measurement is, the total length of the fender to support the weight. Assuming the fenders are fairly stout to begin with.
But it you have the cash a dual tandem hydraulic dovetail 32’ would be my pick.

Maine Farmer

Equipment
M6040, m6800, IH 1066 hydro, jd3020
Sep 5, 2021
Maine
Gooseneck is the only way to go for any significant load. There is no “tail wagging the dog” which bumper pulls can easily move your truck around if loaded wrong.

Reactions: 1 user

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
What is the difference between a goose neck and a 5th wheel ?

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
The hitch. They both attach in the center of the truck bed. The gooseneck just attaches to a ball. A fifth wheel hitch is a large mounted hitch in the bed with a mating plate on the trailer similar to what a semi truck and trailer has. Utility and stock trailers tend to be goosenecks while RVs are usually fifth wheel.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
Gooseneck is the way to go, however that's the part that connects to the truck, from the hitch back is where it gets involved length,capacity, ramps, tilt, rails, etc. needs to be given a lot of thought.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
That trailer looks 'heavy', so do you have the proper CDL to haul it ? I know the 'laws of the road' vary state to state,province to province.....

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The 5th wheel plate mounted in a truck bed, renders the truck bed essentially useless for hauling other items, with, or without, the trailer attached.
The goose neck (ball) can be readily folded down, and leaves the truck bed flat, for hauling other items when the trailer is not attached.
It is no contest, in my opinion!

Reactions: 1 users

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
That trailer looks 'heavy', so do you have the proper CDL to haul it ? I know the 'laws of the road' vary state to state,province to province.....
I’m not sure that’s required everywhere. If if was, most ranchers around here would be in violation.

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
Once you have a gooseneck you won't want to go back to bumper pull. Make sure you get what some call the skid steer ramps. They are complete easy fold over ramp that makes the complete back of the trailer a ramp when folded down. Dual wheels are nice. That will be the last trailer you will buy. If you have big money those hyd beaver tail deck overs are nice.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Before you buy anything check with whom ever you have your auto insurance with to make sure there are no problems in the personal vs commercial aspect of your insurance.

Second take a look at the tow rating of your truck as it is built. Do not go by the BS on the internet and look up the rating in your Owner's Manual. What is the maximum weight of your truck (GVWR) minus the weight of your truck with fuel, toolbox, and people in it? The answer gives you the weight of the trailer and payload you can haul. Subtract the weight of the trailer from the total to check your payload capacity.

I would guess the trailer that you posted is too heavy for your truck with a load on it. When I started hauling freight I needed to stay under 26,001 pounds. I now run an 07 GMC 3500 with a GVWR of 11,400 pounds. The trailer is a Big Tex, which I hate, with a derated sticker of 14,500 pounds, the factory sticker is over 15,000 pounds.. This setup weighs right at 15,000 which gives me a pay load of 10,900 pounds.

All this to say your 2500 plus a 30 ft gooseneck with two 7,000 axles will make a good combination. You will be under 26,001 pounds and be under CDL weight.

The only drawback to a gooseneck is when you turn the trailer will cut the corner where a bumper pull will follow the tracks of the truck better.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
The 5th wheel plate mounted in a truck bed, renders the truck bed essentially useless for hauling other items, with, or without, the trailer attached.
The goose neck (ball) can be readily folded down, and leaves the truck bed flat, for hauling other items when the trailer is not attached.
It is no contest, in my opinion!
Absolutely. I would never buy a trailer with a fifth wheel hitch. I used to own a fifth wheel RV and quickly converted it to a gooseneck hitch.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Recently came across a situation that I needed to carry a larger tractor than could fit between the fenders (74" between fenders),
I thought the standard spacing between the fenders for serious equipment/utility trailers is 81-1/2" or thereabouts. I have a MidSota 22ft 15k trailer and it's 81-3/4" between the fenders.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
query...
1) does a 'goose neck' allow the trailer to 'tilt', lefty-righty of the truck ?

2) does a '5th wheel' allow the trailer to 'tilt', lefty-righty of the truck ?

I'm thinking GNeck does and 5thwhl doesn't , so gneck should be better on bad roads ??

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I thought the standard spacing between the fenders for serious equipment/utility trailers is 81-1/2" or thereabouts. I have a MidSota 22ft 15k trailer and it's 81-3/4" between the fenders.
The primary dimension is the overall width of 108", which is the max DOT width permitted.
A manufacturer may make the between the fenders width any dimension he may choose.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
query...
1) does a 'goose neck' allow the trailer to 'tilt', lefty-righty of the truck ?

2) does a '5th wheel' allow the trailer to 'tilt', lefty-righty of the truck ?

I'm thinking GNeck does and 5thwhl doesn't , so gneck should be better on bad roads ??
Some 5th wheels can tilt left and right but the tilt is very small. The gooseneck ball allows the greater amount of motion.

https://redrhinotrailers.com/red-rhino-beast-flatbed-trailer.html This trailer is made to go off road.

The primary dimension is the overall width of 108", which is the max DOT width permitted.
A manufacturer may make the between the fenders width any dimension he may choose.
In the US the maximum trailer is 102 inches. Over that you need flags, signs and permits.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Of course, and that's why I used the word "standard" and not "mandated". Firearms or ammunition manufacturers don't have to comply with SAAMI standards, but the vast majority of the successful ones do.

I just took a look at PJ's trailer specs and any trailer described as an "equipment" or "car hauler" trailer has 81" to 83" between the fenders. They do list some "utility" trailers that have 60", 77" or 83" between the fenders depending on the width of the deck. I learned something again today.

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma