Trouble using grease gun

Willow Homestead

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 28, 2022
USA
It appears that my grease gun does not have an adjustable tip. It can't rotate to let go of the zerk. So I just pulled as hard as I could and the zerk came out. But I still don't know how to proceed from here. Does anyone have a video to show how to go from here? Again, I'm so sorry for my ignorance - I grew up in suburbia and never had access to any information about this stuff but now I'm completely dedicated to growing my own food. The first videos that come up don't show what you are supposed to do if you don't have the right items from the start.

Willow Homestead

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 28, 2022
USA
He is just having a little fun with you.

Don't stress, we have all been newbies and have had to go through the learning curve. You have a great bunch of people on this forum who have a ton of knowledge and can generally walk you through any issue.

Just realize, that we also like to poke a little fun along the way.
Thank you - I'm new here and I'm familiar with hazing - no problem. I'm just trying to find my answer because I need to get my hugelculture built and then mow my ridiculously long grass. :) I have way too much other work to do to be spending all this time maintaining my equipment!!!

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Does your zerk have threads on it? Or is it smooth on the bottom where it inserts into the tractor?

Also here are a couple YouTube channels that cover basic operation of a tractor and some does and don'ts that may help you prevent injury or damage and give you a basic understanding of tractors and implements.

(2536) Tractor Time with Tim - YouTube

(2536) Tractor Mike - YouTube

Willow Homestead

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 28, 2022
USA
Does your zerk have threads on it? Or is it smooth on the bottom where it inserts into the tractor?

Also here are a couple YouTube channels that cover basic operation of a tractor and some does and don'ts that may help you prevent injury or damage and give you a basic understanding of tractors and implements.

(2536) Tractor Time with Tim - YouTube

(2536) Tractor Mike - YouTube
The shank is smooth - there is only threading on the outside of the zerk.

Willow Homestead

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 28, 2022
USA
As stated previously, to make your life easier, get a Lock N Lube. Makes greasing simple
Okay, I will definitely get that. I'm just concerned that when I do, there will be some issue I don't understand. It seems like you have to know someone to show you how to use things because the owner's manual won't show you the problems and Youtube videos only show you when things go the right way.

Reactions: 1 user

Willow Homestead

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 28, 2022
USA
My BX23S just says, "lube the grease points on your BX23S every 10 hours" then there's no where to learn how to do that except Youtube, where everyone shows you how to do it without any problems. If you have a problem...well...good luck.

Willow Homestead

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 28, 2022
USA
I know I'm mostly preaching to the choir because you guys are very helpful, but why aren't there videos that show what to do with my problem? It's almost like people don't want new people to learn how to use a tractor to grow food. Does anyone know a place where a new guy like me can learn if they don't know some of the basics? Maybe I need to start a site that does that?

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
The shank is smooth - there is only threading on the outside of the zerk.
I'm assuming your zerk looks something like this. If so, you should be able to screw it back into where it came out.

1649607646520.png

If it looks like this one, then it is a press in

1649607712606.png

Reactions: 1 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I know I'm mostly preaching to the choir because you guys are very helpful, but why aren't there videos that show what to do with my problem? It's almost like people don't want new people to learn how to use a tractor to grow food. Does anyone know a place where a new guy like me can learn if they don't know some of the basics? Maybe I need to start a site that does that?
My suggestion is that you start with the two youTube channels I mentioned earlier to get a basic understanding.

A tractor is just mechanical means of doing a manual task. For example, instead of hoeing up the ground to plant manually with a hoe and your back, you use a tractor and a rototiller or tractor and plow/disc. The tractor is the power behind the implement(s). The implements are what you use to do a specific task (simple definition there). The size of the tractor determines what size of implement you can use (again simple definition).

Realize that for years, this knowledge was passed down from generation to generation. The use of videos and technology is really in its infancy and has a come along ways.

This forum is a prime example. A few decades ago you would go to the bar, the local mechanic shop, or the barber shop to swap stories and get info. So this forum is a great step into modern times to help share knowledge and not just local knowledge.

Then when it comes to actually growing food, there are lots of channels out there. One thing you will want to look for is one that lives in the same climate region you live in. I live in Southern Illinois, so what I can grow is different than what someone in North Dakota would grow and different from want someone in Florida would grow.

One thing you can check into is your local county AG office that can provide you some guidance as far as what to grow.

Willow Homestead

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 28, 2022
USA
My suggestion is that you start with the two youTube channels I mentioned earlier to get a basic understanding.

A tractor is just mechanical means of doing a manual task. For example, instead of hoeing up the ground to plant manually with a hoe and your back, you use a tractor and a rototiller or tractor and plow/disc. The tractor is the power behind the implement(s). The implements are what you use to do a specific task (simple definition there). The size of the tractor determines what size of implement you can use (again simple definition).

Realize that for years, this knowledge was passed down from generation to generation. The use of videos and technology is really in its infancy and has a come along ways.

This forum is a prime example. A few decades ago you would go to the bar, the local mechanic shop, or the barber shop to swap stories and get info. So this forum is a great step into modern times to help share knowledge and not just local knowledge.

Then when it comes to actually growing food, there are lots of channels out there. One thing you will want to look for is one that lives in the same climate region you live in. I live in Southern Illinois, so what I can grow is different than what someone in North Dakota would grow and different from want someone in Florida would grow.

One thing you can check into is your local county AG office that can provide you some guidance as far as what to grow.
Thank you - it sounds like there is definitely an opportunity for someone to build a way for people to share this info in a more direct way. I'm surprised that the tractor companies haven't built something like this already. I'll see what I can do.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Thank you - it sounds like there is definitely an opportunity for someone to build a way for people to share this info in a more direct way. I'm surprised that the tractor companies haven't built something like this already. I'll see what I can do.
As with all industries, some are better at using technology than others. Landpride has worked on producing videos showing their implements and they have videos showing how to do maintenance on them.

(2537) Land Pride - YouTube

Messicks is another one that has videos discussing equipment and basic maintenance and features on tractors and equipment: (2537) Messick's Equipment - YouTube

Another channel that just came to mind is John Ritter. He has a BX, done service on them, various implements, and lots of different projects. Here is a link to his site (2537) A RITTER BIT WILL DO - YouTube

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Willow - - welcome to OTT. We'll poke at you just a little, but we'll also help as much as we can. You've gotten some great coaching already.

As far as the fitting you have out, replacements are easily acquired at any farm supply (TSC, Farm King, etc.), often in packs of various sizes/configurations.

Since you've wrestled with the one stuck in the grease gun coupler, I'd be apt to take it into a store and match it for replacement. The threads could be buggered up and will cause future problems.

Not a big deal. A variety pack can be had for a few dollars.

The couplers on new cheap grease guns can be problematic. I have a couple that I can't get to adjust/loosen for the life of me. I've been greasing equipment for over 50 years, so I'm no rookie.

Willow Homestead

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 28, 2022
USA
As with all industries, some are better at using technology than others. Landpride has worked on producing videos showing their implements and they have videos showing how to do maintenance on them.

(2537) Land Pride - YouTube

Messicks is another one that has videos discussing equipment and basic maintenance and features on tractors and equipment: (2537) Messick's Equipment - YouTube

Another channel that just came to mind is John Ritter. He has a BX, done service on them, various implements, and lots of different projects. Here is a link to his site (2537) A RITTER BIT WILL DO - YouTube
Thank you - I will watch all of those and see what is left undone.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Willow welcome to the forum and tractors.
Most people that have a tractor also have a good bit of mechanical background and often think they are describing the solution clearly. Those descriptions can be repeated in more basic terms if you will specifically ask for more basic information .

In your case the grease gun you have is what caused you trouble and I suggest you research them and get a higher quality gun from lock and lube or other vendor. I assume that you may have read the instructions on how to adjust the tip but you say its not adjustable .

Please post pictures (close up) of the zerk grease fitting and the tip of the grease gun and we can give specific advice

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Frankly, because you really do not have a problem. You simply have a zerk that came out. Don't over think this.

All you need to do is put one back in and get one of those grease gun adapters that are adjustable to use in the future.

A great place to learn the basics is reading posts here at OTT and doing your best to understand suggested solutions. Mostly for things you do not have a problem with currently...because you never know when you might.

Don't worry, you will be fine. As I always tell my wife, settle down, take it easy and you will be fine. AND you will learn a lot regarding your tractor too, in the coming months/years.

Edit: Just a bit of fatherly advice, and I know I am not your father, but I am one here where I exist...

Willow Homestead

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 28, 2022
USA
Frankly, because you really do not have a problem. You simply have a zerk that came out. Don't over think this.

All you need to do is put one back in and get one of those grease gun adapters that are adjustable to use in the future.

A great place to learn the basics is reading posts here at OTT and doing your best to understand suggested solutions. Mostly for things you do not have a problem with currently...because you never know when you might.

Don't worry, you will be fine. As I always tell my wife, settle down, take it easy and you will be fine. AND you will learn a lot regarding your tractor too, in the coming months/years.

Edit: Just a bit of fatherly advice, and I know I am not your father, but I am one here where I exist...
What keywords should I search that will give me info about how to use a grease gun? Everything I'm trying gives me results that don't really address my issue. Seriously - - I'm not trying to be difficult here - I just seem to have a problem that no one anywhere has made an article or video about.

Thank you!!!

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
What keywords should I search that will give me info about how to use a grease gun? Everything I'm trying gives me results that don't really address my issue. Seriously - - I'm not trying to be difficult here - I just seem to have a problem that no one anywhere has made an article or video about.

Thank you!!!
I don't know. But it is simple really. ESPECIALLY if you get one of those adjustable ends.

You just put the grease gun on the zerk and push some grease into it.

Bigger question is probably what is the best grease to use...

Again, don't over think it. Just be sure to use enough grease and remember that over greasing generally causes no harm, but may cause a need to clean up excess grease more frequently, if excess grease bothers you.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
You mentioned that you grew up in suburbia and didn’t have access to this type of thing. There are billions or grease fittings in suburbia, but the residents that ignore the maintenance is the problem.

Using grease fittings is about as basic as turning a door knob, that is why you find so little instruction.

Kubota does make it more interesting by leaving grease fittings loose, painting them shut, using faulty parts with no fittings and parts that just won’t accept grease. Yes, I had all of the above in one backhoe. Long story, but it has been nearly a year now and still without a working backhoe because of an unbelievable series of screwups by Kubota and two dealers.