Price aside, what are the use cases for double acting rear remotes vs float remotes?

johnsayen

Jul 3, 2021
Michigan
I only have float remotes. Price aside, what are the use cases where you’d want a double acting rear remote over a float rear remote?

thank you.

johnsayen

Jul 3, 2021
Michigan
Float detent remotes can hold cylinders in a fixed position when not in float mode though? Unless I’m not understanding what you’re saying.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I only have float remotes. Price aside, what are the use cases where you’d want a double acting rear remote over a float rear remote?

thank you.
The better question is do you have a use for the additional fourth position and many people do not. In some cases a detented 3 position or self canceling 4 way valve is preferred. There is even a use case for detented or spring center 3 way valves.

Dan

johnsayen

Jul 3, 2021
Michigan
I’m probably not asking this question in the right way because I still don’t understand. What types of implements and utilizations of the implements would benefit from a double acting valve more/better than a float detent valve?

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I’m probably not asking this question in the right way because I still don’t understand. What types of implements and utilizations of the implements would benefit from a double acting valve more/better than a float detent valve?
Float detent is just a fourth position on a double acting valve.

That fourth float position is of no value on something like a pull type plow with cylinders. Its of no value on any implement with a single acting cylinder. Its of no value on my 3pt log splitter. Its of no significant value on my 3pt mowers. I am sure there are plenty more examples.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

johnsayen

Jul 3, 2021
Michigan
Interesting, I thought the float detent was required for 3-point splitters, to ensure continual flow of the hydraulic fluid?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
It all depends on who makes them for what purpose on whatever equipment.

consider a valve used for motor control. it can be locked' in either fwd-neu-rev positions,say for post hole digger, rock picker, etc.

a 'float' valve will have 'up-hold-float', where 'up' raises the implement,'hold' keeps it at position, 'float' is down bu NOT locked.it allows implement to follow the 'contour of the land'.

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Interesting, I thought the float detent was required for 3-point splitters, to ensure continual flow of the hydraulic fluid?
When in float the pump is connected to tank along with both work ports. There is no pressure at the logsplitter. That is the definition of float. You can purchase a 3 position 4 way valve with detents on one or both shifted positions and use it to supply something like a log splitter. On my tractor I have a set of constant flow outlets for the log splitter. They are controlled by a simple two position push-pull selector valve.

Dan

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA

thank you.
I can give you one case. Maybe.

My rear remotes are double acting, but with built in check valves. The check valves lock the cylinders in place and there is virtually no leak down.

I have one double acting valve with float detent. When not in float, it acts as a normal double acting valve does. So a cylinder that is connected to the float capable valve, WILL leak down over time. How fast depends on how tight the valve clearances are.

If the remote with float is on something where leak down might be a concern, better to use a double acting valve with check valves built in. An example might be a tilt cylinder on the 3PH when a rotary cutter is attached.

BUT this may be an aside, as you did not ask about valve sections that have check valves built in. Personally I think they are a great option.

Also, pilot operated check valves are not compatible with the float option. You can get one or the other, but not both.

Sorry for the tangential reply...hope it was worth my typing it. :)

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I can give you one case. Maybe.

My rear remotes are double acting, but with built in check valves. The check valves lock the cylinders in place and there is virtually no leak down.

I have one double acting valve with float detent. When not in float, it acts as a normal double acting valve does. So a cylinder that is connected to the float capable valve, WILL leak down over time. How fast depends on how tight the valve clearances are.

If the remote with float is on something where leak down might be a concern, better to use a double acting valve with check valves built in. An example might be a tilt cylinder on the 3PH when a rotary cutter is attached.

BUT this may be an aside, as you did not ask about valve sections that have check valves built in. Personally I think they are a great option.

Also, pilot operated check valves are not compatible with the float option. You can get one or the other, but not both.

Sorry for the tangential reply...hope it was worth my typing it. :)
Henro you have talked abour these valves with built in cylinder locks multiple times. I have never seen a valve like that. What brand and model are they?

Dan

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Henro you have talked abour these valves with built in cylinder locks multiple times. I have never seen a valve like that. What brand and model are they?

Dan
It has been probably 15 years or a bit more since I bought them. I may have put some details in a thread I started at TBN back then. If I can find some details I will post them.

With these valve sections there is a definite “click” due to the check valves shifting when the valve is operated. I think I got the from Prince.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Here are a couple paragraphs related to the valves I used, from that (2004!)TBN thread (wish prices were the same today!):

“After much torment, I FINALLY decided on using three Prince control valves sections that have built in pilot operated check valves, and one section without the check valves but with a float position. It looked like separate pilot operated check valves would cost about $60 each, and I was able to buy three surplus valves sections from Prince, with the pilot operated check valves built in, for $74 each. This simplified the set up somewhat, as I would now have no need to figure out where to mount separate check valves.”

And,

“As a side note, I should say I was torn between buying these sections with the check valves in them, or using separate check valves. The reason is because these valves are motor control valves and as such, they do not act exactly like a normal control valve. If the check valves in one of these sections would fail, the valve would act like it was in a float position, and that would not be very desirable. But the person I spoke with at Prince told me they sell a lot of these to backhoe operators, for use with backhoe stabilizers, to hold them in position and prevent drift down. So on this word I finally decided that buying these work sections would simplify what I was trying to accomplish.’

Posts 19 & 20 in the following thread might hold a couple more details. I don’t think I listed part numbers anywhere.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
It has been probably 15 years or a bit more since I bought them. I may have put some details in a thread I started at TBN back then. If I can find some details I will post them.

With these valve sections there is a definite “click” due to the check valves shifting when the valve is operated. I think I got the from Prince.
Prince makes the SV series (12 GPM) and 20 series (20 GPM) sectional valves . I have used both and AFAIK the only check valves availabe with in them are the normal load checks present in just about all directional control valves. Are you by chance confusing load checks with cylinder checks?

Dan

Never mind - you taught me something. I looked at the SV catalog and I see they do offer that option - work section SVL1CA1. I never noticed it before. Currently $210 each and out of stock at Surplus Center. That feature will cost you a bit - the SVW1BA1 without the checks is $115.

Last edited: