How do you tie/secure your tractor to trailer / front or backwards with canopy?

wasnotlooking

Oct 12, 2017
Chewelah
How are you all tying/securing your tractor to trailer? I love using chains and binders but hate losing paint due to chain abuse. Would love to hear of a non paint chipping way to use chains...I have been using straps.
Also, I have a sun canopy and have been told to load tractor backwards on trailer ( rear towards front of trailer backed on ) to keep the shade from bucking the wind possibly damaging canopy. What say you?

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Ther are nylon sleeves you can buy to slip over the chain…that would help protect the stake pocket. I am not sure how easily they slip over the hook though. If you don’t want to spend money you could probably take the toe off an old sock and slip that over. I believe both are going to end up getting pretty slimey and nasty. I imagine you could do similar with a hose if you have a diameter big enough to slip over the hook? As far as the canopy I want one, and bad…I am just worried about my 4 hr one way commute. There are others here who have success but I am having a hard time thinking it through. Only thing I have thought is maybe could take a ratchet strap over the top so it can’t wobble so much? I don’t have a big enough trailer to back it on and balance the load properly. Balance load and tongue weight is my first priority.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
How are you all tying/securing your tractor to trailer? I love using chains and binders but hate losing paint due to chain abuse. Would love to hear of a non paint chipping way to use chains...I have been using straps.
Also, I have a sun canopy and have been told to load tractor backwards on trailer ( rear towards front of trailer backed on ) to keep the shade from bucking the wind possibly damaging canopy. What say you?
If you are chaining around the axles, just throw a piece of old carpet on the axle before wrapping with the chain.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Ther are nylon sleeves you can buy to slip over the chain…that would help protect the stake pocket. I am not sure how easily they slip over the hook though. If you don’t want to spend money you could probably take the toe off an old sock and slip that over. I believe both are going to end up getting pretty slimey and nasty. I imagine you could do similar with a hose if you have a diameter big enough to slip over the hook? As far as the canopy I want one, and bad…I am just worried about my 4 hr one way commute. There are others here who have success but I am having a hard time thinking it through. Only thing I have thought is maybe could take a ratchet strap over the top so it can’t wobble so much? I don’t have a big enough trailer to back it on and balance the load properly. Balance load and tongue weight is my first priority.
My dealer installed this steel canopy before delivery. The tractor was facing forward and handled the 5 hour trip at high speed with no problem. I like the canopy. It’s sturdy.

wasnotlooking

Oct 12, 2017
Chewelah
Thank you...that is the same canopy that I have...nice to know it will hold up!

My dealer installed this steel canopy before delivery. The tractor was facing forward and handled the 5 hour trip at high speed with no problem. I like the canopy. It’s sturdy.

[/QUOTE

Reactions: 1 user

SAR Tracker

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, FEL, LX2963 Snowblower, BH77 Backhoe, forks
Nov 17, 2020
Central Oregon
old firehose around chain will prevent damage. Probably have to get 1 1/2" or 2" to go over the hooks.

Reactions: 1 user

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene

I still have my chains, but they’re just holding the chain tray down now…. The straps are about a zillion times nicer and I can’t find any reason why they’re inferior when used correctly.

Reactions: 1 users

wasnotlooking

Oct 12, 2017
Chewelah

I still have my chains, but they’re just holding the chain tray down now…. The straps are about a zillion times nicer and I can’t find any reason why they’re inferior when used correctly.
Chad, what kind of straps are you using? And where did you get them? thanks

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
Tractor Supply has a nylon piece with D rings on each end about 18 inches long made to go around the axle. I use those when I’m using chain and binders. I would send a link but can’t find them on their website. The chasing hook will go through the D Rings.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Imagine you canopy is a flag.

One direction, it will just flutter but point in the direction opposite to the director of travel.

Turn the tractor around, and the flag will now point in the opposite direction. In the direction of travel, and will fold backwards.

So in one orientation, the canopy will just flutter, In the other tractor orientation, the canopy will tend to fold back on itself.

So, place the tractor with the ROPS on the side of travel direction, to minimize the chances of damage.

Edited to correct an error regarding direction...

Last edited:

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
Attach grab hooks to the tractor in strategic locations. View attachment 76564 View attachment 76565
That’s pretty slick!
I never minded using chains to tie down, but it was inconvenient. With a small frame tractor (B2650), it is a bit tricky to get good chain routing with decently straight shots to my tie down points on my trailer. The straps eliminated the quirkiness that was the life of a chain…

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Here's another option for you. Rear clevis and harbor freight hooks that match up to existing frame holes (no drilling/welding necessary). I think the HF hooks ran about $7.

clevis 2 resized.JPG

IMG_1386.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Thank you ...
I am a fireman and here in NC all departments are required to test their fire hose annually just as we do.

Hose that fails we either trash it or if near a end we can sometimes recouple. We do give to people that come by and request some farmers are the main ones that stop by.

Stop by your local fire department and inquire when they do annual testing. Mention you would like some that fails. We cut the couplings off so it can't be used for liability reasons as it was intended.

Common sizes we have are 1" forestry lines, 1 3/4" attack lines and 2 1/2", 3", and 5" supply lines.

Best of luck and if you lived closer I would give you some.

Jay

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Home Depot, Lowes, Tractor Supply, and Harbor Freight all have straps. I like straps over chains for everything. If I had a 10,000 pound piece of equipment I might reconsider.