WR Long 3rd. function vs Summit Hydraulics

OldRider

Equipment
L3901
Feb 20, 2022
Western Kentucky
I just got a L3901 and I'm going to put a 3rd. function on it. I'm trying to decide between the WR Long and the Summit 3rd. functions. One difference I see is the Long has a rocker switch and the Summit uses two buttons. The prices I'm seeing is $840 for the Long and $600 for the Summit. Is there any reason to pay the extra $240 for the Long unit? Is it better in some way?

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I have the WR Long on the L2501. No problems with it, and I do like the rocker style switch. If I had the Summit, I might like it too. I know that did not really help. I guess it all comes down to how much you might think you would prefer a rocker switch over two buttons.

Reactions: 2 users

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I have installed 2 summit kits. One on an LX and one on a MX. Both were simple, remove this, replace with that.

Had a problem with the MX, summit was quick to respond and sent replacement parts at no cost.

Reactions: 1 user

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
If you order from Summit, ask if they can wrap the parts separately and put everything in a substantial box so that things aren't beat up and need painted, unlike what I received.

dz246

Equipment
BX2380
Mar 13, 2022
iowa
For the price the summit kit seems pretty good. You can use coupon code GWT to save a little money.

Reactions: 1 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I just got a L3901 and I'm going to put a 3rd. function on it. I'm trying to decide between the WR Long and the Summit 3rd. functions. One difference I see is the Long has a rocker switch and the Summit uses two buttons. The prices I'm seeing is $840 for the Long and $600 for the Summit. Is there any reason to pay the extra $240 for the Long unit? Is it better in some way?
The only real difference is the joystick handle. The Summit kit is $580 and free shipping. Id have to like the WR Long handle a lot to spend that much more.

Dan

57plymouth

Equipment
Kubota L3901 with FEL, 1955 Ford 900 Row Crop
Oct 26, 2020
Blythewood, SC
I used the summit kit on my L3901. I had to modify it because I have an Ansung loader and not a Kubota loader. I knew that going in.

I was extremely disappointed in the wiring with the kit. They did not design it to wire in to the tractor so you have to figure it out on your own. They intend for you to use "vampire" clips that pierce the wiring to make the connections, which is an absolute no-go for me. I'm still not happy with how I have mine wired up and need to rework it. The hydraulic side was a piece of cake. If I had a Kubota loader I probably could have installed it in an hour or so. Since I had to make and modify brackets it took me longer.

OldRider

Equipment
L3901
Feb 20, 2022
Western Kentucky
I used the summit kit on my L3901. I had to modify it because I have an Ansung loader and not a Kubota loader. I knew that going in.

I was extremely disappointed in the wiring with the kit. They did not design it to wire in to the tractor so you have to figure it out on your own. They intend for you to use "vampire" clips that pierce the wiring to make the connections, which is an absolute no-go for me. I'm still not happy with how I have mine wired up and need to rework it. The hydraulic side was a piece of cake. If I had a Kubota loader I probably could have installed it in an hour or so. Since I had to make and modify brackets it took me longer.
Thanks for the feedback. As far as the wiring goes I'm going to install a Blue Sea Systems fuse block to power everything off of. I'm going to add some lights and a circuit for my motorcycle heated gear for cold weather.

GrappleDave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
New Kubota L2501
Mar 19, 2022
jackson NY
You could probably fit them in a 1.5" sleeve but I would go with 1.75" just to be sure. I routinely put two 3/8" hoses in a 1.5" sleeve