Bolt on/weld on front bucket grapple

WolverineMarine

Equipment
LX2610 with BH77 backhoe
Aug 16, 2016
NW Ohio
I’ve seen a kit to bolt or weld on a hydraulic grapple to a standard front bucket and I have to say, the price perspective and expanded versatility possibility are very very appealing. Does anyone have experience with one of them?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I’ve seen a kit to bolt or weld on a hydraulic grapple to a standard front bucket and I have to say, the price perspective and expanded versatility possibility are very very appealing. Does anyone have experience with one of them?

All that I know about this is that many apparently have been sold, and most buyers seem to be very pleased.
A "The Thumb" owner will likely be along soon to describe actual experience.

I have a full size grapple, but for light duty work, "The Thumb" would certainly seem to be an appropriate tool.
Do you already have 3rd function hydraulics?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I also hope someone posts here with real world experience with this particular brand.
I , like Fried1765 have a Landpride grapple for my L2501 but having a thumb for those times I have my bucket on would be really handy for myself.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I don't have any experience with one. From the pics on their site, those loads could easily be picked up and carried with a regular bucket or forks. Personally, adding the extra hydraulics would be more of a hassle than just using finesse to pick things up.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
you could say that about a full width grapple vs just forks, too.
With it though, you do not have to get off the tractor to secure the loads ! 'tree trunks' are a pain to get into a bucket and secured. A real pain when the ground's mucky ! I used my pallet forks but the issue was trying to move and NOT have the trunk sections slide off... the 'thumb' would have made the job easy.
Every tool or implement has it's 'pros and cons'.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
P1120150.JPG

With the Thumb (which I was going to purchase before this one fell into my hands) needs the top lip reinforced (depending on your tractor's bucket.) I'm sure some bucket might not need to be.

This is WR Long single bolt on grapple. 140 pounds, 3 bolts to remove the lid which is 100 pounds. Tooth bar really complements this bolt on grapple. New it's pretty expensive (guess $1,200?) For 350 it was one of my best buys...

For the one who said that you can do without hydraulics and grapple... you'll most likely say after getting hydraulics and a grapple that You'd wish you had done it years ago. Hands down, best addition I've done.

I think all tractors should be equipped with extra hydraulics. If you want "cheap" hydraulics... learn how to install a 3 or 4 valve/spool or grapple, T-n-T, and extra for the future.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I also hope someone posts here with real world experience with this particular brand.
I , like Fried1765 have a Landpride grapple for my L2501 but having a thumb for those times I have my bucket on would be really handy for myself.
I have the best of both worlds!!
If I need a thumb forward, I just turn my machine around, and use my backhoe hydraulic thumb.

Ikc1990

Equipment
Kubota m125x, m9000, b2710, and other equiptment
Dec 2, 2020
Vermont
We had one ont the farm on skid steere had 2 grapple ends weld on bucket idependently it was awsome we used it to clean bunks, feed cows, push up feed in barn sawdust cut firewood move longs load trash. Everything way better for most applications over the normal grapple. Also highter lifting when used chain to load things

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
The problem is that they are so very handy that you will want to leave them on all the time.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I don't see why not getting a kit.

At $750 I'd rather fab up my own thumb. You can get cylinders on sale for around the $100 mark. I have some steel plate kicking around too. I'm sure I can make two thumbs cheaper than $750.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I've got enough 'supplies' laying around to build 3 or 4 of these,only cost would be a couple of hoses. The ones I have will either be too short or too long.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I don't have any experience with one. From the pics on their site, those loads could easily be picked up and carried with a regular bucket or forks. Personally, adding the extra hydraulics would be more of a hassle than just using finesse to pick things up.
You would not say that if you had "the extra hydraulics" and used a grapple. Not having the ends of a bucket in the way makes a big difference in picking some things up.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
You would not say that if you had "the extra hydraulics" and used a grapple. Not having the ends of a bucket in the way makes a big difference in picking some things up.
Forks work OK for some uses, but having the bucket on would be big nuisance, when compared to having a real grapple.

tanuki

Equipment
MX5400 hst
Jan 11, 2021
cobden,il
I used one of these with a WR Long 3rd function for 15 years on an L3710. Worked great, never any problems and you'll be amazed at what you can pick up with it. The one thing I did was to beef up the bucket lip. Welded on a 4X4 piece of angle across the length of the bucket and welded the thumb to that.

WolverineMarine

Equipment
LX2610 with BH77 backhoe
Aug 16, 2016
NW Ohio
All that I know about this is that many apparently have been sold, and most buyers seem to be very pleased.
A "The Thumb" owner will likely be along soon to describe actual experience.

I have a full size grapple, but for light duty work, "The Thumb" would certainly seem to be an appropriate tool.
Do you already have 3rd function hydraulics?
Yes I had it installed prior to delivery by my dealership at purchase. I honestly wouldn’t have bought any model regardless of make without it. I’m a union crane and heavy equipment operator by trade and I know how handy it can be.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I use my forks for picking up most things (trees, brush, rocks, pretty much anything that doesn't require a bucket). I agree that if I had the hardware plumbed I would certainly make use of a grapple. I just haven't found anything I couldn't easily pick up with forks that would make it worth while to add the front hydraulics. I imagine it would be like my backhoe, if you have it you'll find lots of uses for it.