homemade wood splitter idea. could it work?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I assumed your puter was blocking the picture(used to be common problem).
what's interesting is that Troybilt's Canadian homepage shows the vertical shafted splitter, but the 2 for sale(27T,33T) used horizontal engines !!
Maybe they upgrade/redesigned to use a cheaper,er cost effective, engine ?

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I took that picture in 2010 of the splitter shown in Reply #8 after I bought it from our local Rental store. It is now at the farm 46 miles away so it is not convenient for me to take a closeup picture of just the engine/hydraulic pump. I took several pictures of that first splitting job but there are none of the engine side of the splitter which would show the vertical hydraulic pump setup.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I wouldn't think that the pump would care whether it was running vertical or horizontal. You may be able to fab a bracket to use a horizontal if the hoses reach.

Springer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680 LA344S EA 55" Grapple, Stump Bucket 48 Box grader, Disc Harrow
Jul 21, 2021
Tiger, GA
Besides what is said above, I truly like having my tractor available to me while splitting. I feed my splitter from the front loader. I load it an drive right up to the splitter so I can roll them onto it.
I let the split wood fall into the Brinley and when I'm done splitting, I just back around and hook up to the Brinley and haul to the shed. Don't know how I would do this if my tractor was also my splitter.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Besides what is said above, I truly like having my tractor available to me while splitting. I feed my splitter from the front loader. I load it an drive right up to the splitter so I can roll them onto it.
I let the split wood fall into the Brinley and when I'm done splitting, I just back around and hook up to the Brinley and haul to the shed. Don't know how I would do this if my tractor was also my splitter.
Two tractors - or more ....

Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
D

Deleted member 47704

I was on the fence between a splitter and a tractor unit.Came down to how I would handle the big stuff. Got a 34 ton stand alone, cycles faster than the tractor unit.

bucktail

Equipment
Jun 13, 2016
MN
HF don't have any vertical gas engines ! just checked, $149 for a 6.5 horizontal, cheapest of 9 they sell......
kinda surpises me.
Did you check the store? I was in our local HF today and they had vertical 5.5's.

bucktail

Equipment
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I wonder if it's a seasonal item. Most of them go on push mowers.

Boatman

Equipment
Kubota L2800, Kubota BX1870
Nov 26, 2016
Mill Spring, NC, US
I went from a stand alone gas splitter to one I run off the the tractor hydraulics. I use the power beyond circuit and it's easy peasy. When disconnecting I dont lose any more fluid than with any other hydraulic attachment. My reasoning for going this way is one less motor for maintenance. It's a touch slower than the gasser was but I'm in no hurry these days. Split about 2 cords a year.

Hooking up that splitter would be easy. Get rid of the expansion tank and pipe in the hydraulic lines.

D

Deleted member 47704

I went from a stand alone gas splitter to one I run off the the tractor hydraulics. I use the power beyond circuit and it's easy peasy. When disconnecting I dont lose any more fluid than with any other hydraulic attachment. My reasoning for going this way is one less motor for maintenance. It's a touch slower than the gasser was but I'm in no hurry these days. Split about 2 cords a year.

Hooking up that splitter would be easy. Get rid of the expansion tank and pipe in the hydraulic lines.
I thought about a tractor run splitter, but then I don't have the tractor to move the big stuff.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
The best setup I've seen is a gas logsplitter mounted on the tongue of a trailer. Splitter had 'cradles' so split logs stayed there, easy toss into trailer box. Had 'boxes' in front of fenders for gas/oil/saws/etc.
Guy hauled trailer to 'log site', moved tractor away, LOTS of safe area to load/split/toss. he did 5-7 cords a season(that's BUSH cords, real cords NOT citybot 'cords' )

Boatman

Equipment
Kubota L2800, Kubota BX1870
Nov 26, 2016
Mill Spring, NC, US
I thought about a tractor run splitter, but then I don't have the tractor to move the big stuff.

The nice thing with the splitter on the 3 point is you can put it right on the ground for the big stuff. Even if too big to lift onto the rail, just roll it next to the splitter and take the side off. I have 2 tractors and have never used the second to move blocks on the splitter.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
The nice thing with the splitter on the 3 point is you can put it right on the ground for the big stuff. Even if too big to lift onto the rail, just roll it next to the splitter and take the side off. I have 2 tractors and have never used the second to move blocks on the splitter.
Mine is a horizontal/vertical unit. Just flip it up to handle the big stuff. It has been on the L3901 for about 2 weeks solid now as I drive around the place cutting up down stuff and splitting it right there. Lots of big ash killed by the borer.

I paid about $350 for it 30 years ago and the only thing it has ever needed is a couple hoses and just recently a new valve. I put a regen (fast extend) type valve on it and it cycles a lot faster now. Any thoughts of buying a small engine splitter died the instant I tried out that valve.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user