B2400 power steering

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
I have a b2400 hst and I am having an issue with power steering leak. I have the h11501 steering controller. I have changed the top seal twice with no luck. I have now found there is another seal inside. Number 360 on part listing. Has anyone dealt with this before and if so what else should I be changing when I take the controller apart?
Thank you in advance for any assistance

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The top or outer seal is the common one for owners to change but it never works as it is present just to keep water and dirt OUT of the box.

In quickly looking at an exploded parts diagram many seals are marked NLA for no longer available.

You are going to need a patient, knowledgeable parts guy to see if there are new part numbers.

In simple terms you want to replace any part called a seal or an O ring.

Seal 360 is marked NLA

Dave

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
The top or outer seal is the common one for owners to change but it never works as it is present just to keep water and dirt OUT of the box.

In quickly looking at an exploded parts diagram many seals are marked NLA for no longer available.

You are going to need a patient, knowledgeable parts guy to see if there are new part numbers.

In simple terms you want to replace any part called a seal or an O ring.

Seal 360 is marked NLA

Dave
Thanks for reply.
If I find seals should thrust bearings also be changed while I'm in there?
Keith

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Thanks for reply.
If I find seals should thrust bearings also be changed while I'm in there?
Keith
A careful visual check of a bearing should tell you if it needs to be replaced.

Likely the bearing presently in the box is a much better quality than a new one you would buy today so changing it unnecessarily will not enhance your situation.

Dave.

Ktrim

Equipment
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
A careful visual check of a bearing should tell you if it needs to be replaced.

Likely the bearing presently in the box is a much better quality than a new one you would buy today so changing it unnecessarily will not enhance your situation.

Dave.
Messicks found me the 360 seal at a 3rd party source they use. At least they showed one hopefully their inventory is right.
Thanks again for your input.
Keith

Ktrim

Equipment
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
Struck out on that one. Back to drawing board.

Ktrim

Equipment
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
Anybody out there know who makes this steering controller?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Anybody out there know who makes this steering controller?
I think you are dealing with a steering box and not a controller. I mention this because it might change how you look for parts.

A controller is typically used on hydrostatic power steering where there is no physical link or connection between the steering wheel and the front wheels.

A steering box, which incorporates power steering, has a mechanical link between the front wheels and the steering wheel.

Back in 2015 North Idaho Wolfman said: There are actually 3 different boxes for that model.

Next is a link to a company which may have some parts.

parts

This forum has a page you should check out:

ssb forum

A knowledgeable forum member said:
it is absolutely imperative we establish which controller you have. Serial number 71999 and down ,72000 up to 72542 or above 72542. Parts are different in each unit as they continued to improve the controller. Get me the tractor serial number then I will get you the list of parts needed.

Start a conversation with 007kubotaguy. He is sometimes parting out older tractors
Click on the envelope symbol on the top right of your screen..........

I will keep looking.

Dave

Ktrim

Equipment
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
I think you are dealing with a steering box and not a controller. I mention this because it might change how you look for parts.

A controller is typically used on hydrostatic power steering where there is no physical link or connection between the steering wheel and the front wheels.

A steering box, which incorporates power steering, has a mechanical link between the front wheels and the steering wheel.

Back in 2015 North Idaho Wolfman said: There are actually 3 different boxes for that model.

parts

ssb forum

it is absolutely imperative we establish which controller you have. Serial number 71999 and down ,72000 up to 72542 or above 72542. Parts are different in each unit as they continued to improve the controller. Get me the tractor serial number then I will get you the list of parts needed.

Start a conversation with 007kubotaguy. He is sometimes parting out older tractors

I will keep looking.

Dave

parts

ssb forum

I will keep looking.

Dave

According to kubota diagrams this is a h11501 steering controller. The issue is fluid pouring out of the top of the worm shaft. Assuming that seal #360 is the culprit.
My serial number is b24hd70823.
I have seen the thread you sent but that controller is different. Newer it seems.
Complete unit is available for 2k.
They got me 6 months ago with 3pt controller. Had to replace whole controller for $1200.
Thanks again
Keith

Ktrim

Equipment
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
Update on my power steering. The seal in my b2400. The seal in question #360 is actually an oring with nylon backer. I was able to match it to one available at my local hydraulic shop for $12. With the exception it was a little thicker. By sanding it down to close to the originals thickness I installed it along with the original o ring. I'm now at a very small weap of fluid.
They contacted their supplier and they took the original dimensions and fabricated 2 for me for $75.
So if and when it leaks bad again I have the replacement and a back up.
Considering if still available from kubota it was $145 I'm ahead of the game.
Keith

amchammond

Equipment
B2400 HSD LA351
May 20, 2021
Bloomington, Indiana
Update on my power steering. The seal in my b2400. The seal in question #360 is actually an oring with nylon backer. I was able to match it to one available at my local hydraulic shop for $12. With the exception it was a little thicker. By sanding it down to close to the originals thickness I installed it along with the original o ring. I'm now at a very small weap of fluid.
They contacted their supplier and they took the original dimensions and fabricated 2 for me for $75.
So if and when it leaks bad again I have the replacement and a back up.
Considering if still available from kubota it was $145 I'm ahead of the game.
Keith
Keith,
What year is your tractor? I have a 1995 B2400 with the same kind of leak. If we have the same unit, I would be very interested in having some of those seals fabricated also (if they end up working). I rebuilt mine with everything available except the nylon/teflon seals and my leak got worse. I am out of options except a $2000 new unit.
Thanks,
Chris

Ktrim

Equipment
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
Keith,
What year is your tractor? I have a 1995 B2400 with the same kind of leak. If we have the same unit, I would be very interested in having some of those seals fabricated also (if they end up working). I rebuilt mine with everything available except the nylon/teflon seals and my leak got worse. I am out of options except a $2000 new unit.
Thanks,
Chris
Up to may neck in auto work right now. I'll reach out to later and we can talk.
Keith

Ktrim

Equipment
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
Sorry I missed your question. I didn't find any tags on my unit. I'm pretty sure that mine is 6C040-41100 since the different o-rings etc. I installed were correct. Here is a picture of my unit if that helps.
In the top of the unit, where the worm shaft comes through, do you have a 2 piece seal. Nylon outer that goes against the shaft and an oring inside the groove?

amchammond

Equipment
B2400 HSD LA351
May 20, 2021
Bloomington, Indiana
In the top of the unit, where the worm shaft comes through, do you have a 2 piece seal. Nylon outer that goes against the shaft and an oring inside the groove?
Yes, I believe so. Mine is supposed to take o-ring 6C040-98830 and back-up ring 6C040-41730. My unit is definitely the first generation, so if your tractor serial number is after 72000, then we have different units.

Attachments