SNOW MOVING

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
Has anyone used those "skis" that bolt to either side of the bucket and keep the blade off the ground an inch or 2?
I have been using them and good for some things but plowing on a gravel road with the bucket does not let me get a clean scrape of the snow and they still dig in quite a bit if not careful. So what I am asking is pro or con for these things compared to just using the bucket without them? Also I have tried to use the auto level mode on the bucket, but it digs in too much. Any advice on this? Have a LX 2610 about 8 months old with 80 hours.

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
Practice makes perfect…. I have learned where to set the bucket using the level indicator rod to keep the cutting edge an inch or so ‘up’. On bare ground at least this will also help pack a base too. When really worried about digging in, adjust it ‘up’ a bit more on the fly. So what if you leave a bit of snow. If you’re driving a smart car over it maybe you need it nice and clean. Otherwise any you leave will help make the base. or it takes longer to go over a couple times to get right. It’s all seat time, beats doing the dishes!

I guess lots of people live where you don’t get to have a nice frozen base all winter.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Edge tamers are fitted to the bucket all winter for me. There still is a "just right" setting, but there are many fewer buckets filled half snow, half gravel. (Hate to see those spill out)

A skim of snow is fine with me when the surface is soft. When the roadway freezes hard, I use the rear mounted scrape blade to clean it all off.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
If you did have the runners like Edge Tamers, you would still not clean scrape the gravel. It might make it easier to be at ground level though.

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
If you did have the runners like Edge Tamers, you would still not clean scrape the gravel. It might make it easier to be at ground level though.
No, I did not mean I want exact clean scrape of gravel as I also use a non-tractor snow blower most of the time. Use the tractor to push off accumulations of snow throw by blower and hand shoveling so there is no spring water run-off in the spring or at least less. I also get sick of looking at snow in the spring so the Kabota helps push it out of sight. - as much as possible. On gravel it is good to have a snow base and inch or 2 thick so that snowblowers don't throw gravel as much. Better for tractors too. I also clear snow off property I need to move trucks around on too. Makes that a lot less messy even though they are 4x4. Edger tamers seem OK for that work as they do not seem to dig into the dirt and leaves as much.

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
Practice makes perfect…. I have learned where to set the bucket using the level indicator rod to keep the cutting edge an inch or so ‘up’. On bare ground at least this will also help pack a base too. When really worried about digging in, adjust it ‘up’ a bit more on the fly. So what if you leave a bit of snow. If you’re driving a smart car over it maybe you need it nice and clean. Otherwise any you leave will help make the base. or it takes longer to go over a couple times to get right. It’s all seat time, beats doing the dishes!

I guess lots of people live where you don’t get to have a nice frozen base all winter.
Yes, at almost 80 hours I feel I am getting more proficient at all of this and can feel being in the groove so to speak at times.