Oils and lubricants.

Keadog

Equipment
MX 6000
Dec 22, 2021
Ohio
I tried to search but didn't come up with anything. I have an MX6000 coming in "soon" - what is everyone using for engine oil? Synthetic?

My Ventrac has a Kubota Diesel engine and that machine calls for Synthetic 10W-30 both in the manual and on the hood sticker. I've always used Rotella 15W-40 on my L4300, but I'm not opposed to switching to synthetic when new if that's a better idea(?). Is there a consensus? If yes, I may join Amsoil's preferred club and use their 15W-40 diesel synthetic since I use their oil in one of my cars. Please chime in.

Greasing - again, should I switch to a synthetic and, if so, which brand, etc. My uses are so limited I'm not too worried about costs as I won't use more than a few tubes a year.

Thanks. This site has been very helpful.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I tried to search but didn't come up with anything. I have an MX6000 coming in "soon" - what is everyone using for engine oil? Synthetic?

My Ventrac has a Kubota Diesel engine and that machine calls for Synthetic 10W-30 both in the manual and on the hood sticker. I've always used Rotella 15W-40 on my L4300, but I'm not opposed to switching to synthetic when new if that's a better idea(?). Is there a consensus? If yes, I may join Amsoil's preferred club and use their 15W-40 diesel synthetic since I use their oil in one of my cars. Please chime in.

Greasing - again, should I switch to a synthetic and, if so, which brand, etc. My uses are so limited I'm not too worried about costs as I won't use more than a few tubes a year.

Synthetic or conventional according to your preference. If your temps are under 15F ditch the 15W40 and use 10W30 or 5W-40. Plenty of choices in both grades.

Dan

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
This goes on for 9 pages/177 posts.. one of many examples. That's just motor oil:

Synthetic or Conventional motor oil in Kubota diesels | OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota

This goes on for 4 pages/71 posts...one of many examples. That's just grease:

Time for greasing everything | OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota

Gosh - - I could probably find 1,000's of threads/posts about Hydraulic Fluid..... :)

Safe to say we have opinions about lubricants! ;)

Don't get us started on 50-hour service..... :unsure:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Recommended Kubota brand synthetic engine oil and SUDT2 hydraulic fluid.

Keadog

Equipment
MX 6000
Dec 22, 2021
Ohio
This goes on for 9 pages/177 posts.. one of many examples. That's just motor oil:

Synthetic or Conventional motor oil in Kubota diesels | OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota

This goes on for 4 pages/71 posts...one of many examples. That's just grease:

Time for greasing everything | OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota

Gosh - - I could probably find 1,000's of threads/posts about Hydraulic Fluid..... :)

Safe to say we have opinions about lubricants! ;)

Don't get us started on 50-hour service..... :unsure:
I figured I just wasn't looking correctly. Thanks; I bookmarked both threads to be enjoyed later. I must say discovering Lock N Lube has greatly enhanced my "enjoyment" of greasing zirks!

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT

No bloodhounds in your family tree. Better hope that you never forget where you parked your car! :)

• Haha

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
No question on the super UDT2 but who makes Kubota synthetic oil? Surely not Kubota. Lots of Amsoil fans on my car sites.
Don't know, don't care. I have more money than time right now so I just get the stuff that I know works. That may change as I get older and fully retire though!

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
I've M1 0w30 ESP ordered from Advance Auto to do the 10 year old change on the Isuzu diesel generator. It's what I have in the JD2025R now. Ran out of VW's Castrol 5w30 "synthetic" that I had used in VW diesel for near 7 years and bought at end with VW $.

I would not use 15w40. It's way too heavy for winter time starting. For instance, if the starting rpm is 100 (generally runs 100-180) on 15w40, it'll be 160 rpm with 10w30 or 10w40 and even higher with 0w30.

Got a lube shuttle grease gun for Xmas. Haven't used it yet. Just screwed in its first cartridge and letting sit until I need it.

Keadog

Equipment
MX 6000
Dec 22, 2021
Ohio
I have a heated and air conditioned barn. The tractor will never see temps much below 30F unless something very unusual happens (like shooting a deer when it's very cold). I plow using my Ranger Northstar with a heated cab.

I've used 15W-40 in my L4300 and never had an issue. Mainly trying to decide whether to switch to full synthetic at first oil change. For that matter, does anyone know what oil these are shipped with, synthetic or "regular" oil?

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I’m wondering about grease. On my last tractor I used red and tacky for every zerk. But in my MX manual I don’t see a specific grease listed. Would red and tacky be fine for everything?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
You might want to start a grease thread, and it should be good for at least 4 months and over 200 posts of various opinions. My only comment on grease is that any grease is better than no grease. The basics of grease are that there are both high speed and low-speed greases, and there are general greases and extreme pressure greases. Whatever you use, someone will say it is the wrong grease, and someone else will agree with your choice. Good luck, because you let the genie out of the box...LOL.. DR.

• Haha

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Grease is grease. Just need a little bit every 50 hours. Don't agree with need for 10 hour greasings. Overgrease, and you can bust out seals in some places.

retired farmer

Equipment
tractor, loader, cutter, blade
May 25, 2020
sheridan
Not saying what is better, but seems like I recomember an old commercial where an old grease monkey says, "Motor oil is motor oil" Sure don't agree with that statement.
I use factory spec stuff.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Whale Blubber is Best! It can be used for grease and if boiled-down can be used for fuel. It’s completely Organic and will save crude-oil for gasoline production which will reduce prices at the pumps!

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada

How's this, I just tell you what I have been using since 2017 no issues: on my B2650:

- All Kubota brand filters
- All fluid and filter changes, lube and maintenance as per operator's manual
- Kubota Premium UDT hydraulic oil, front axle too. Same as SUDT2, Canuck brand.
- Kubota brand 10W-30 diesel engine oil, or Motomaster 10W-30 Semi-synthetic Diesel engine oil.
- Will be switching to Rotella T6 5W-40 next engine oil change, for the better low temp performance.
- 100ml or about 4 oz Sea Foam fuel treatment in every 5 gal diesel jug.
- And I grease everything with Lucas X-Tra Heavy Duty grease

760 hard hours later and she's running smooth, strong, and solid. And I've stocked up everything for the 800 hour maintenance, coming soon!