2005 Kubota M6800 Shuttle transmission operation

tom121212

Equipment
Kubota m6800
Jan 5, 2022
Pennsylvania
Just purchased a used M6800 4wd and am using it for the first time. To the left of the seat on the floor there is an H pattern shifter allowing you to select reverse ,neutral and low and or high if moved to the right side of the shift pattern.

The info I can find says this model has either a power or synchronized shuttle.
Transmission.

If I use the clutch to shift into any of those selections the handle moves all the way forward or aft and the tractor moves in the appropriate direction. But if I use just the shifter without the clutch the handle will move but not as far. The tractor will move in the direction selected but I have to hold pressure in either direction to make it move.

Is this how this is supposed to operate or should the shifter engage fully like when using the clutch?

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Just purchased a used M6800 4wd and am using it for the first time. To the left of the seat on the floor there is an H pattern shifter allowing you to select reverse ,neutral and low and or high if moved to the right side of the shift pattern.

Transmission.

If I use the clutch to shift into any of those selections the handle moves all the way forward or aft and the tractor moves in the appropriate direction. But if I use just the shifter without the clutch the handle will move but not as far. The tractor will move in the direction selected but I have to hold pressure in either direction to make it move.

Is this how this is supposed to operate or should the shifter engage fully like when using the clutch?
Use the clutch! It sounds like you're slipping the synchronizers.

You need an Operator's Manual for your specific model. There's one for an M6800S on Kubotabooks.com, but it only has the maintenance section. There's another one for the M6800HDC, but it indicates that shifter is for hi-lo-creep, not reverse. And it indicates creep is only available on the 8200 and 9000.

You should be able to get your complete model number off the tag on the left front frame. In the meantime, USE THE CLUTCH.

loggin

Equipment
MX4700
Sep 4, 2021
canada

Transmission.

You are possibly mashing the synchronizers together to get some forward motion but likely not much power. If that's the case you most likely have the synchronized shuttle. Here is a video of an M6800 with power shuttle shift pictured around the 1 minute 40 second mark. If you have that lever and it has just high and low lever on the left side of seat i believe it is a power shuttle.

I am not 100 percent sure of this though. Perhaps someone else has better knowledge.

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
You are possibly mashing the synchronizers together to get some forward motion but likely not much power. If that's the case you most likely have the synchronized shuttle. Here is a video of an M6800 with power shuttle shift pictured around the 1 minute 40 second mark. If you have that lever and it has just high and low lever on the left side of seat i believe it is a power shuttle.

I am not 100 percent sure of this though. Perhaps someone else has better knowledge.

That lever on the left sounds like the one on my L2501DT which is a manual transmission model if that is any help. Definitely clutch required. It has the 4 speed shifter in the center hump.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
That lever on the left sounds like the one on my L2501DT which is a manual transmission model if that is any help. Definitely clutch required. It has the 4 speed shifter in the center hump.
I agree if clutch isn't depressed when shifting this type trans then the trans will need some serious high $$$$$ repair in the future

tom121212

Equipment
Kubota m6800
Jan 5, 2022
Pennsylvania
Thank you. It turns out it is a manual shift unit. Luckily I only did this two or three times for a few seconds and everything seems to be operating properly.