Box blade

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Anyone have direct experience with Landpride or TSC box blades? These are the ones directly available in my area unless I also want to look at Frontier. Figure main difference might be flexibility in mounting the digger gizmos, cost as well.

Figuring to level about a 3 acre area where they'll be taking out about a zillion trash trees, leveling out some stump removal spots other places and leveling an old maintenance road cut into the side of a slope.

Reactions: 1 user

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I've got the Landpride BB1248, about a foot too narrow for my LX2610SU. Hindsight's 20/20, but should have gotten the BB1260. It's been pretty rugged for me. While the scarifiers (rippers) have the spring clips I don't like, I haven't really had any problems with them. I don't think I've found ANYONE that likes the spring clip retainers. I'd prefer pins, but it does what I need, except for being too narrow. Whatever you get, you'll adapt to. Just make sure you get one wide enough to cover your tractor tracks, or any time you're trying to grade in close quarters, you're going to find your back tires sitting up on the edge of the cut. I'm doing pretty much the same project you're talking about, but in no great big hurry to finish. If I finish, I get to buy a lot of shrubs and stuff to landscape with. Got lots of privet, huckleberry, red-top and other scrub under a bunch of feral stuff. The huckleberry I'll keep if I can, dogwoods, etc, but all the poison ivy can certainly go. I'm not allergic, but everyone else in the family is. I push most of the deadfall stuff into the washes/erosion ditches that go across my property. My biggest problem is stopping/diverting the runoff from neighboring properties without starting a feud.

Bisleybob

Equipment
B7500
Aug 15, 2020
Harding Pennsylvania
I purchased a landslide box blade in the spring, looked at the TSC, but if I remember correctly, they didn't offer a 52", which is the recommended size for my machine. I'm pleased overall with it, I have used it pretty much and pretty hard as well.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I have the LP1260, it is too light. I run it with an additional 320 pounds of extra suitcase weights doubling its weight. It works ok with the extra weight. One day I will order one from Everything Attachments and sell this one when it arrives.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I have a Landpride BB1572. 504lb 72”. Manual rippers. Fixed rear gate. Nothing fancy. Heavy enough to cut into the ground without rippers most of the time. For heavily compacted gravel roadbed or packed drought dry clay, drop the rippers and it will get the job done.

Agree with B737, weight is a big deal. Too light and it will just bounce. I have an old Leinbach light duty backblade like that. Works great for snow or moving loose material but it just bounces on hard ground or tree roots. Have to use the boxblade on the hard stuff.

Also agree with Old Paint, blade width equal to wheel width is also important. If you’re working a road or cleaning a ditch you need the edge of the blade to extend at least to the outside edge of the back wheels.

I know nothing about TSC stuff.

91DB61ED-147F-4152-B6F2-41615A6AF3D4.jpeg
7EBC47CD-9F20-4057-A9D1-D0E4B1B616EB.jpeg
DFEDFAAF-762B-4734-BA6C-D246087CF964.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
I also have the BB1260 and it performs well with the rippers in sod but unless my gravel driveway is wet then it just bounces along the top of the stone. If I was doing it over I would buy a heavier BB but I will probably just add weights like @B737 did with his.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
The BB1560 runs like a champ on my B2650. I strap my 3-point hitch receiver on top of it for an added hundred pounds or so.
I find without using the rippers but tilting the box blade down a bit at the front usually overcomes any of that bouncing over the surface while pulling forward.

Reactions: 1 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I see your 15 series has pins, not the silly little spring clips. I like that. I don't see that much heavier construction in it over the 12, but the better keeper design on the rippers is what I like.
View attachment 72093
Judging from the nifty little ding on the backgate, looks like someone else pulled a chain tight across the back of their blade. DOH!. I knew better when I did it. A 2 pounder with a 12 pounder for a backup works nicely for box blade body work.
Is that top-n-tilt or manual tilt? Dat's a LOTTA tilt! Even with the 72" blade, behind your L4701, it's still almost too narrow to do what you're doing there. The next pass will have that left rear up on the shoulder, or certainly up against it, or am I looking at a bit of parallax? There's a couple places in my yard that I need to do this to. The difference is, you have real top soil and grass. I've got the remnants of the old city dump, I think, mixed with hard clay. No way am I cutting that deep. I could weight it, but then my LX would just spin all four and bury itself very quickly. Haven't stalled it pulling, but have a couple times pushing.

I learned the hard way that with the oversize tires on the LX2610SU, the lift links have to be moved to the holes closest to the tractor end of the arms to increase the travel of the arms. Otherwise, the arms won't go down low enough for some implements sitting on the ground (namely the BB1248). I had to put cribbing under it every time I parked it until I figured it out why I was having so much trouble. That gives up a little bit of lift capacity, but I hope I never get close enough to hit the max on that thing anyway.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I see your 15 series has pins, not the silly little spring clips. I like that. I don't see that much heavier construction in it over the 12, but the better keeper design on the rippers is what I like.
1. Chain ding on the top. We have a winner! At the time I did that, I had a pretty good idea it would dent or at least put some scars on the top of the blade as I needed to pull both up and forward really hard, but didn’t much care right then and still don’t. I’ve left it like it is because honestly I’d probably do it again at some point and it’s not denting any further with additional hard chain pulls. Seems to have reached a point of equilibrium with the chain pulls.

2. The extreme angle was before I got the top and tilt. The rock shaft links have three holes at the yoke that attaches to the lift arm to allow for a lift height travel range adjustment.
BB0663A7-C4C7-4C42-B373-36452369A239.jpeg

Hooking one side in the top hole and the other side in the bottom hole adds to the tilt. Makes hooking up a wee bit more difficult. Now that I have the hydraulic sidelink and have replaced the fixed sidelink with the turnbuckle sidelink, I can achieve the same results without involving the unbalanced lift arm arrangement. The back tire pretty much tracks in the groove, but you’re right that the blade needs to move a bit left to really be in the right place. The hitch is centered there. It can offset a little more to the left with just the standard sway bars. The turnout I’m cleaning out there is ABC crush run granite that silted in with dirt, grass, etc. so it’s basically scraping the junk out of a gutter there.

The turnout was originally cut with a moldboard plow, backfilled with the ABC stone to stabilize it, and then dressed to final shape with a backblade. That was with the 9N long before we met the Kubota.

Edit: BTW, we didn’t have topsoil here either in the beginning. Nothing but red clay. Numerous years of enough lime and fertilizer to keep the grass growing and then mulching the grass and fall leaves eventually built up a soil base for the grass. Only took about 10 years.

Last edited:

Goz63

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 loader, QH15,Land Pride RCR1860, BB2560, SGC0660, forks
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
Anyone have direct experience with Landpride or TSC box blades? These are the ones directly available in my area unless I also want to look at Frontier. Figure main difference might be flexibility in mounting the digger gizmos, cost as well.

Figuring to level about a 3 acre area where they'll be taking out about a zillion trash trees, leveling out some stump removal spots other places and leveling an old maintenance road cut into the side of a slope.
Not sure what tractor you are running so that will make a difference. I have the LP1860. Kubota says I should have the 1260. Eh, no! My L2501 pulls that like a dream. Much heavier build too. My dealer doesn’t even carry the 1560. He says if you want to go bigger than the 12 series just go to the 18 series. I agree. I also don’t like the clips. The 1860 has the pins. My LP is very heavy duty for what I do and it stays on my 3pt most of the time. It is great rear ballast too. Great implement. Wouldn’t trade it.

Goz63

Equipment
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
Not sure what tractor you are running so that will make a difference. I have the LP1860. Kubota says I should have the 1260. Eh, no! My L2501 pulls that like a dream. Much heavier build too. My dealer doesn’t even carry the 1560. He says if you want to go bigger than the 12 series just go to the 18 series. I agree. I also don’t like the clips. The 1860 has the pins. My LP is very heavy duty for what I do and it stays on my 3pt most of the time. It is great rear ballast too. Great implement. Wouldn’t trade it.
Opps , I got my numbers slightly off. My box blade is the BB2560. Not the 1860.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
I don't know why everyone whines about the clips. Y'all have toolboxes on your blinged out tractors? Keep a vice grip or plyers in there. Grab the clip, pull it out, put it in and release. Easy peasy!:rolleyes: Oh and ya have to have a quick hitch too cuz its takes 5 minutes to do it the old fashioned way! Yeah, I know everyone likes the vastly superior bling! LMAO!
I see now there's hydraulic controlled levers for the ssqa so you don't have to get off the tractor! Soon all tractors will come with the remote key fob so you can sit in the easy chair and watch the tractor do all the work!

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I don't know why everyone whines about the clips. Y'all have toolboxes on your blinged out tractors? Keep a vice grip or plyers in there. Grab the clip, pull it out, put it in and release. Easy peasy!:rolleyes: Oh and ya have to have a quick hitch too cuz its takes 5 minutes to do it the old fashioned way! Yeah, I know everyone likes the vastly superior bling! LMAO!
I see now there's hydraulic controlled levers for the ssqa so you don't have to get off the tractor! Soon all tractors will come with the remote key fob so you can sit in the easy chair and watch the tractor do all the work!
Don’t disagree but have had plenty of clips go flying once grabbed. keep extra clips in the toolbox w said pliers. Then lock it w key fob after ur hooked up to the QH. .

Goz63

Equipment
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
Wow. A little angry are we? Did Santa not bring you what you want?
I don’t like clips. Is that whining? If you like ‘em knock yourself out.

Reactions: 2 users

meridien

Equipment
2017 L3301HST, LA525, RCR1260
Aug 11, 2021
SE Indiana
If you have a Rural King near you, you might take a look at the King Kutter box blades. I went with it, a BB-60-RR, 5' wide and it works very well. I like that the scarifiers are held in slots in a square tube, and the weight is a solid 450 pounds. I purchased mine earlier this summer and it was around $850, tax included (Indiana sales tax). I've spread and levelled about 200 tons of gravel on my driveway with it and not a single complaint.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Goz sorry ! Im a little cranky not angry. your right Santa didnt bring me my top and tilt. I was out fixing up the drive way with the box blade and I had to get off the machine to turn the top link by hand! Such an inconvenience just like those clips!

Goz63

Equipment
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
Goz sorry ! Im a little cranky not angry. your right Santa didnt bring me my top and tilt. I was out fixing up the drive way with the box blade and I had to get off the machine to turn the top link by hand! Such an inconvenience just like those clips!
Totally get that. Santa brought me exactly nothing for my tractor too. What’s with that guy!?!

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Totally get that. Santa brought me exactly nothing for my tractor too. What’s with that guy!?!
Santa? Who is that?

I guess it is true when you get older you forget things! I do remember believing though...and my smallest two grand kids still do believe...

Hopefully, next Christmas I will become a believer again! Have to discuss this with the wife and kids, and hope they make it come true...

Do you think an Elf on the Shelf might help?

LOL

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I wore out two of them, so for my latest I went with an EA Extreme.

I also hated the clips and the time it took to change the level so I added a hydraulic cylinder so I can make adjustments on-the-fly.

Adding a top and tilt will double your productivity and leave a much better job as well.

top-07.jpg

top-08.jpg

top-09.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

RichOzz

Equipment
L2501 HST w/LA525 66" bucket BH77 LA BB1260 RCR1260 EA 42" Pallet Forks
Aug 26, 2021
MA
I already have a BB1260 for my L2501 that hasn't arrived yet. In hindsight, I would like to have gotten a heavier Landpride or EA unit. Resolved the clip issue though by replacing them with anchors and nuts used for holding down bases on a baseball field, drilling them and attaching ss lanyards.

Attachments