New MX5400 tire options

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I’m planning to buy a new MX5400 in the spring. I was just looking at the Kubota tractor builder and saw that R14 tires are now an option on this tractor. I was planning to get R4 tires because R1 is too aggressive in creating ruts and not as good for loader work. My typical uses: loader work, rotary cutting 20 acres of native grass, and snow plowing. I do also plow and till a large garden, but this is only done annually in spring and fall. I never use my tractor on the road or off my property. I have been happy with R4s except for snow plowing. Any thoughts on getting the R14s on the MX5400 as a better option for my uses than R4s?

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I’m planning to buy a new MX5400 in the spring. I was just looking at the Kubota tractor builder and saw that R14 tires are now an option on this tractor. I was planning to get R4 tires because R1 is too aggressive in creating ruts and not as good for loader work. My typical uses: loader work, rotary cutting 20 acres of native grass, and snow plowing. I do also plow and till a large garden, but this is only done annually in spring and fall. I never use my tractor on the road or off my property. I have been happy with R4s except for snow plowing. Any thoughts on getting the R14s on the MX5400 as a better option for my uses than R4s?
No thoughts about this?

Borane4

Equipment
M4-071
Dec 16, 2020
Texas
I dont have experience in snow where i live, but how about chains for the R4s? Also, last year there were a lot of posts about people grooving the lugs of the R4 for better traction. While you wait for more informed advice, at least you can look that up. :)

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I dont have experience in snow where i live, but how about chains for the R4s? Also, last year there were a lot of posts about people grooving the lugs of the R4 for better traction. While you wait for more informed advice, at least you can look that up. :)
Yes, I have read those threads. Also chains cost more than the R14 tire upgrade when buying new. I’m just curious about the R14 sidewalls and suitability for heavy loader work compared to R4s. I know they will be better than R4s in snow (any tire is better).

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
For ice, you will need chains, so I think it depends on what type of snow you are going to deal with. I think R4s would have an advantage for loader work due to heavier construction.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
For ice, you will need chains, so I think it depends on what type of snow you are going to deal with. I think R4s would have an advantage for loader work due to heavier construction.
Thanks. That’s what I was wondering about. Sounds like R14s are not constructed with as heavy of sidewalls as R4? I’ve looked on the Titan website and could not find information on the number of plies for each tire type.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I have an MX6000 HSTC on order and asked my dealer about the R14 tires. He told me that they're seeing way more damaged tires running the R14s vs the R4s and his suggestion was to give up a little bit of traction under certain circumstances for better durability i.e. opt for the R4s. I've added 600lb of wheel weights to my order which in combination with the cab will make for a lot more downforce and traction.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I have an MX6000 HSTC on order and asked my dealer about the R14 tires. He told me that they're seeing way more damaged tires running the R14s vs the R4s and his suggestion was to give up a little bit of traction under certain circumstances for better durability i.e. opt for the R4s. I've added 600lb of wheel weights to my order which in combination with the cab will make for a lot more downforce and traction.
Thanks. Sounds like some good advice.