Pallet Forks Recommendation

Goz63

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 loader, QH15,Land Pride RCR1860, BB2560, SGC0660, forks
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
I have these:

If someone would have told me up front they’d be my most used attachment I’d have laughed at them.

I’m not laughing any more. l’ve moved pallets, equipment, cattle panels, gates, various materials etc.

In fact I use them for moving round bales more often that I use my hay spear. I only use the spear when unloading a trailer of rounds anymore.

i wouldn’t skimp on forks, you’ll likely use them more than you think.

ETA-I forgot pushing over trees. They’re great for that too.
Porcupine
we are going to have to start using round bales because squares are getting crazy expensive this year. Won’t be free grazing them but putting in hay bags to control amounts. Brings me to my question, you use your forks to move the bales. I don’t have a bale spear but do have forks. Are you hauling/lifting from underneath or spearing with the forks? I can buy forks but if I can save ~$500 that would buy a lot of hay. Our hay guy has 4x5 bales and that should be well within my 2501’s fel lift range.

Porcupine

Equipment
L2501
Jun 15, 2021
NC
Porcupine
we are going to have to start using round bales because squares are getting crazy expensive this year. Won’t be free grazing them but putting in hay bags to control amounts. Brings me to my question, you use your forks to move the bales. I don’t have a bale spear but do have forks. Are you hauling/lifting from underneath or spearing with the forks? I can buy forks but if I can save ~$500 that would buy a lot of hay. Our hay guy has 4x5 bales and that should be well within my 2501’s fel lift range.
I buy eight rounds at a time. When I off load them from the trailer I set them on their sides on pallets covered with a long tarp.

When I’m ready for a new bale, I uncover it, roll it off the pallet, and either on to the forks, or just run the forks underneath it.

If the forks are spaced about right for a standard pallet the bale will sit nicely on them, kind of “slung “ in them with the bottom a bit lower than the forks.

Describing it, it sounds more complicated than it actually is. ;)

I found my spear more convenient for unloading the trailer, but honestly knowing what I know now, I might have passed on the spear.

I buy 4x5 orchard rounds. They’re well within the capability of the FEL.

What are you feeding?

Goz63

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 loader, QH15,Land Pride RCR1860, BB2560, SGC0660, forks
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
I buy eight rounds at a time. When I off load them from the trailer I set them on their sides on pallets covered with a long tarp.

When I’m ready for a new bale, I uncover it, roll it off the pallet, and either on to the forks, or just run the forks underneath it.

If the forks are spaced about right for a standard pallet the bale will sit nicely on them, kind of “slung “ in them with the bottom a bit lower than the forks.

Describing it, it sounds more complicated than it actually is. ;)

I found my spear more convenient for unloading the trailer, but honestly knowing what I know now, I might have passed on the spear.

I buy 4x5 orchard rounds. They’re well within the capability of the FEL.

What are you feeding?
What we are feeding is horses and that is Timothy hay. We also use alfalfa but can’t feed that straight up to Morgan’s and Arabs. We buy a hay cube in Mobile that is 21 alfalfa bales bound together. Have been getting Timothy squares but we can get 4x5 rounds for $65. Way cheaper than squares. Just a pain to pull apart into hay bags. If we free fed the rounds the Arab would be fine, he is the old man at 28. Still riding though. The other two would be fat as cows with unlimited hay. So we use bags.

Porcupine

Equipment
L2501
Jun 15, 2021
NC
What we are feeding is horses and that is Timothy hay. We also use alfalfa but can’t feed that straight up to Morgan’s and Arabs. We buy a hay cube in Mobile that is 21 alfalfa bales bound together. Have been getting Timothy squares but we can get 4x5 rounds for $65. Way cheaper than squares. Just a pain to pull apart into hay bags. If we free fed the rounds the Arab would be fine, he is the old man at 28. Still riding though. The other two would be fat as cows with unlimited hay. So we use bags.
You’ll be good.

We’re feeding a dairy goat herd, so they get free choice hay. About 1 bale/week in a feeder we designed to keep them from killing themselves with the bale.:)