Selling my GF1800. Value?

eastvt

Equipment
BX1880
Sep 13, 2021
Vermont
First time poster, long time user. I just bought my neighbor's BX1800 with a bit over a thousand hours on it, because I have some built up use for the bucket around here. Quite excited about that. Also the 4wd will be useful, as my place in Vermont features a few slopes: my old GF1800 gets up them OK but I have to lift the front mower deck. I have gotten it stuck in some spots on my property with uneven terrain, and that is a pain.

So I will sell my old GF1800. I don't have a great idea of what it's worth. Searching online I've seen a range from about $3500 to over $9500, but mine probably has more hours than most of those. We decided to go for the $7500 BX1800 upgrade based on the idea that my old tractor is worth something. I wouldn't have thought of selling it except my neighbor put his BX1800 up for sale and I completely unexpectedly bought it on Saturday.

My late father generously gifted the GF1800 to me in 2003, when I had just moved into a place with a ferociously lush lawn (it was an old farm hand's house, and I think the lawn had been a paddock for many years on already rich land). My gas craftsman tractor couldn't cope with the load, but the diesel had no problem. My dad liked and found really good deals, and I assume he got one on this tractor. It had been used a lot by that point -- tire treads worn down. I don't remember the hours at that point, but probably not too many less than it has now. I moved out of that place and now I have a pretty small lawn, which the GF1800 makes short work of, and I guess an acre of meadow that I mow in bits through the summer but in pretty short sessions. When I start it up I probably run it for 30 to 40 minutes at a time, and I don't mow every week.

I had the bearings on the mower deck replaced maybe 8 years ago and other maintenance done then. I've changed the oil periodically, replaced the tires and the wheels, which are pretty new and in great shape. Basically if it has a decent battery in it (I would put a new one in it for the sale, as this one just barely holds enough charge between mowings to start it up -- but it has not failed this summer).

A few years ago I had a carpenter here working on kitchen cabinets. When his assistant, who does lawn service on the side, saw my GF1800 he wanted it so badly: "Are you sure you don't want to sell it!?!!!" So I guess it has some appeal...

So what it is: GF 1800, almost certainly 90s vintage. 76xx hours on the meter. A bit of surface rust but full integrity. New tires and wheels. Monster mower deck in front is model R660-F19.

Value? Would I be better off selling it in the spring when the grass starts to grow like crazy and people need to mow, or now in the fall so I don't have to find some cover for it over the winter? Guessing the value might be a little less now than spring, but I don't need to store two tractors over the winter.

eastvt

Equipment
BX1880
Sep 13, 2021
Vermont
Well, a twist in the story! My neighbor came and gave me my check back and took his tractor! He wants to keep it!
(As I was driving it the quarter mile from his house a pin broke on the drive shaft to the front right wheel, and I told him there was a problem with that. I think he felt bad about it and is afraid of me having problems with it and blaming him. I was nothing but nice about it ...)
Damn. Well, I guess I'm still interested in selling the old one and finding one with a bucket that can also mow. Damn Damn.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I don't know the value of a GF1800 (2wd), but just wanted to ask you if 7600 (holy batwings batman !) hours was correct?

My old TG1860 late 90's/early 2000's vintage is just approaching 970hrs, but sounds like I mow like you.

Good luck.

eastvt

Equipment
BX1880
Sep 13, 2021
Vermont
I don't know the value of a GF1800 (2wd), but just wanted to ask you if 7600 (holy batwings batman !) hours was correct?

My old TG1860 late 90's/early 2000's vintage is just approaching 970hrs, but sounds like I mow like you.

Good luck.

Duh! I looked at it again, and I had missed the decimal. It's 769.x! hours. It had a lot of use before I got it, clearly -- the tires were worn right out. So I when I read that wrong I didn't question it!

I am so &%@! bummed out today that my neighbor came and took his tractor back. I am officially in the market for a kubota with a bucket on the front.