Buying a new tractor - what can I haggle?

TomGT350

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC
Aug 20, 2021
Maryland
I just bought a MX6000. I found pricing to vary considerably from dealer to dealer. The dealer that I purchased from gave me a discount on the tractor of 11.3% from MSRP. No other fees. -$1000 for cash, -$500 implement rebate. Implements were discounted at about 5% average. I priced 3 dealers that had the tractor in stock, one of the dealers wouldn't price the tractor unless I was sitting inside their store. The 3rd dealer added $395 for assembly, $ 785 freight, $250 PDI and $900 for tire ballast whether you wanted it or not.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I just bought a MX6000. I found pricing to vary considerably from dealer to dealer. The dealer that I purchased from gave me a discount on the tractor of 11.3% from MSRP. No other fees. -$1000 for cash, -$500 implement rebate. Implements were discounted at about 5% average. I priced 3 dealers that had the tractor in stock, one of the dealers wouldn't price the tractor unless I was sitting inside their store. The 3rd dealer added $395 for assembly, $ 785 freight, $250 PDI and $900 for tire ballast whether you wanted it or not.
Congratulations on the new tractor! I sure wish there were three dealers with MX6000s in stock up here. I called the dealer today and they're thinking end of September or early October before my MX6000 HSTC shows up. Supposedly there's still a problem getting the hydraulic hard lines for the FEL.

What options did you add?

TomGT350

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC
Aug 20, 2021
Maryland
Congratulations on the new tractor! I sure wish there were three dealers with MX6000s in stock up here. I called the dealer today and they're thinking end of September or early October before my MX6000 HSTC shows up. Supposedly there's still a problem getting the hydraulic hard lines for the FEL.

What options did you add?
Well the dealers weren't close by, and I was orginaly looking for a MX5400. My 2 local dealers had none, and couldn't come up with a time frame if I ordered. I reached out to dealers 2-5 hours away to find the tractor. Probably spoke with 10 dealers or more. It took about a week because the majority don't return phone calls or email. Kind of a crazy thing, but the dealer that had the best deal, sold me a MX5400 HST-C, then 2 days later called and said that there was a mistake in their system and that the tractor (still in the crate) was a gear drive, but he had access to a 6000. During those 2 days I was already regretting not getting the 6000. They offered to sell me the 6000 for 1,500 more, which I thought was good and bought it.

I ordered the loader/bucket, rotary mower, 84" snow plow, 3rd function valve, 48" pallet forks from the selling dealer. I also ordered the following online - exterior mirrors, radio, rear cab work lights, seat arm rests,

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Well the dealers weren't close by, and I was orginaly looking for a MX5400. My 2 local dealers had none, and couldn't come up with a time frame if I ordered. I reached out to a dealers 2-5 hours away to find the tractor. Probably spoke with 10 dealers or more. It took about a week because the majority don't return phone calls or email. Kind of a crazy thing, but the dealer that had the best deal, sold me a MX5400 HST-C, then 2 days later called and said that there was a mistake in their system and that the tractor (still in the crate) was a gear drive, but he had access to a 6000. During those 2 days I was already regretting not getting the 6000. They offered to sell me the 6000 for 1,500 more, which I thought was good and bought it.

I ordered the loader/bucket, rotary mower, 84" snow plow, 3rd function valve, 48" pallet forks from the selling dealer. I also ordered the following online - exterior mirrors, radio, rear cab work lights, seat arm rests,
Very nice! Looking forward to some photos when you get it.

Drcollie

Sep 16, 2021
Northern Virginia
After reading this, I just joined the American Cutting Horse Association, which is free for the first year. Called my dealer up and on my B2601HSD package, that took the price from $ 33,269 down to $ 29,973, a whopping $ 3, 296 off the price. What you do give up is all other promotions and 0% / 60 financing, that becomes a cash price - OR you do conventional financing. Great tip guys, thank you.

I had a BX2200 before (with backhoe), it was capable, but suffered from the little wheels and stability, plus low ground clearance. Since I didn't need to mow with this new unit, it will be the B2601HSD with Loader/Bucket, LX70 Backhoe, Worksaver 54" Root Grapple and Third Valve installed, Tires filled and unit delivered. I think I will like the beefier frame of the B series, the more powerful loader and backhoe.

Now I have to put this decal on my new tractor, even though I haven't been near a horse in 40 years...lol

CS206CLA-2.jpg

Shanester

Equipment
B7500HST MX5100HST
Sep 21, 2021
Ohio
After reading this, I just joined the American Cutting Horse Association, which is free for the first year. Called my dealer up and on my B2601HSD package, that took the price from $ 33,269 down to $ 29,973, a whopping $ 3, 296 off the price. What you do give up is all other promotions and 0% / 60 financing, that becomes a cash price - OR you do conventional financing. Great tip guys, thank you.

I had a BX2200 before (with backhoe), it was capable, but suffered from the little wheels and stability, plus low ground clearance. Since I didn't need to mow with this new unit, it will be the B2601HSD with Loader/Bucket, LX70 Backhoe, Worksaver 54" Root Grapple and Third Valve installed, Tires filled and unit delivered. I think I will like the beefier frame of the B series, the more powerful loader and backhoe.

Now I have to put this decal on my new tractor, even though I haven't been near a horse in 40 years...lol

View attachment 66185

I just did a "build my Kubota" for a B2601 and it came up with $19,544 with R4 tires and loader. Also there is an additional $800 instant cash rebate and a $400 implement rebate. (my dealer told me the loader qualifies for that) Those would get it down to $18,344. Did it come with a bunch of options?

Shanester

Equipment
B7500HST MX5100HST
Sep 21, 2021
Ohio
Has anyone else tried the NCHA discount? Is it a fixed price so it does not matter which dealer you go to? It looks like it is just for the tractor but if a FEL was purchased could that be a negotiated price?

Drcollie

Sep 16, 2021
Northern Virginia
I just did a "build my Kubota" for a B2601 and it came up with $19,544 with R4 tires and loader. Also there is an additional $800 instant cash rebate and a $400 implement rebate. (my dealer told me the loader qualifies for that) Those would get it down to $18,344. Did it come with a bunch of options?
I added at BH70 backhoe, a Worksaver Root Grapple, Third Valve to operate the Grapple, and filled rear tires. I struggled with the backhoe, because its pricey and won't get used all that much, but the bucket won't dig, so at the end of the day wanted something to tackle tree roots and run an electrical trench to my shed 120' from the house. That's how the price got up there.

The Equestrian money comes from Kubota USA to the dealer, but you lose all other discounts. Good if you can pay cash for the rig.

I don't think any dealers are negotiating, FEL's are nearly impossible to get and so are backhoes, it was just luck at this particular dealer that he just got some in that were not ordered for someone. But you can always try! No harm in that.

Shanester

Equipment
B7500HST MX5100HST
Sep 21, 2021
Ohio
I talked to Kubota the other day and they said that the equine discount is good for the Kubota branded implements too. I joined the National Cutting Horse Association but have not talked to any dealers yet about the pricing. Do the dealers take a hit with this discount or just Kubota?

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I talked to Kubota the other day and they said that the equine discount is good for the Kubota branded implements too. I joined the National Cutting Horse Association but have not talked to any dealers yet about the pricing. Do the dealers take a hit with this discount or just Kubota?
Just Kubota. Makes no difference to dealer margin.

Shanester

Equipment
B7500HST MX5100HST
Sep 21, 2021
Ohio
I went to another dealer yesterday morning and looked at a used L4701HST with 106 hrs and third function and they were asking $29,500. He said they are not negotiating at all on the price. This is the first time I have looked at and operated one of those models and as of right now it is the model I would probably buy. I looked at an MX5200 there with 86 hours and they want $31,500 for it but I think it is too large for what I want. For whatever reason I see a lot more MX tractors out there at decent prices than the L4701 or ones in that size range. To my surprise the dealer had a new L4701HST. It was not listed on their website so they must have just got it in. He is going to work on getting me a Kubota equine price on that one but he did not seem enthusiastic about doing that for some reason. He said he has only done two of those before. He also said that he has to check to see if they are still offering that discount. I said that on Kubota's website it says it is offered until the end of the year and he got a tiny bit nasty for some reason. This dealer is an hour and 15 minutes drive from my house and the ones that have something I want in stock are of course much further away.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I went to another dealer yesterday morning and looked at a used L4701HST with 106 hrs and third function and they were asking $29,500. He said they are not negotiating at all on the price. This is the first time I have looked at and operated one of those models and as of right now it is the model I would probably buy. I looked at an MX5200 there with 86 hours and they want $31,500 for it but I think it is too large for what I want. For whatever reason I see a lot more MX tractors out there at decent prices than the L4701 or ones in that size range. To my surprise the dealer had a new L4701HST. It was not listed on their website so they must have just got it in. He is going to work on getting me a Kubota equine price on that one but he did not seem enthusiastic about doing that for some reason. He said he has only done two of those before. He also said that he has to check to see if they are still offering that discount. I said that on Kubota's website it says it is offered until the end of the year and he got a tiny bit nasty for some reason. This dealer is an hour and 15 minutes drive from my house and the ones that have something I want in stock are of course much further away.
I have the feeling that a "bit nasty" dealer should be avoided under all circumstances!

Shanester

Equipment
B7500HST MX5100HST
Sep 21, 2021
Ohio
I have the feeling that a "bit nasty" dealer should be avoided under all circumstances!

Nasty might be a pretty strong word but I got the feeling he really did not want to do the discount and he was only like that when we talked about it. He was very pleasant the rest of the time but yeah I did not like that.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Hi all -
Brand new to the forum and honestly brand new to tractoring.
I've been learning as much as I can (thank you Messick's YouTube videos for sure!).

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on an MX5400. Still haven't completely decided on that versus a Grand L, but I'll sort that out over the course of the next week or two.

Anyway, I finally went to a dealer since I knew I was getting close to knowing what I wanted. I needed to get some pricing info from the dealer, so we priced out a couple models. He gave me a printout with the cost, and when I asked about an implement, he pulled out the Land Pride catalog and gave me the book price. I also asked him to ballpark additional remotes, third function valve, etc.

All of this to say... I've never bought a tractor before, only cars. Is there room to haggle? Does anybody have recommended strategies or things to ask for? I'd appreciate any advice in this area.

Thanks very much.
If you are a repeat customer, maybe. As a new customer, you are probably going to get what they give you.

Shanester

Equipment
B7500HST MX5100HST
Sep 21, 2021
Ohio
The dealer never got back to me. I called their other location and the guy said they are not participating in the equine discount program right now. He said that they take a hit on price and not just Kubota. The best they can do with cash is MSRP minus the Kubota cash discounts plus their fees plus tax. (probably assembly and freight) L4701 with loader was over $34,000 OTD. And that my friends is why they have inventory! Hard pass!

Shanester

Equipment
B7500HST MX5100HST
Sep 21, 2021
Ohio
Bought an MX5100HST from a private seller and was only able to get $500 off. Still a decent deal on a nice tractor in these times.

Last edited:

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Give this some thought if not paying cash. If the discount negates the special rate financing, how much are you going to pay in interest instead. If you get $3200 off the $33,200 price, then get 4% rate over 5 years you only saved $50. If you can get the discount AND the special rate, now THAT is a deal!

Being a sellers market, it is very difficult to get any kind of deal today. You might shop around nationwide and find some good package deals. They may cost a bit more in the long run, but you get more than just a tractor. There are a couple dealers down in the southern states that have tractor, implements and a trailer as a package, and all covered under the 0% financing. You would just need to be willing to travel down and have a truck capable of towing it back. There are still some deals to be had out there, just have to look.