Site hijacked in a minor way?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Was not sure what to title this...

I have noticed that on one computer (PC) frequently ( but not always) when I click on something like reply, or the like icon, or whatever, I am taken to a page that is an advertisement for a video game or something. I also see the same advertisement as a advertisement sometimes, no different than any others, which I am not adverse to viewing.

The only way I can get to a different page on OTT after this happens, is by going to my OTT bookmark and clicking on it...

Not a major issue but it is concerning. Have not seen this on my phone or ipad.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
They blew the cookies I know that.
Just had to re-login for the first time in quite a while.

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
It has been happening to me for the last 3 or 4 days. There has to be something in the advertising on the forums that is triggering it. Advertising on forums is like selling your soul to the devil. You never know what they are going to be doing next.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I have not seen it reappear after I refreshed Firefox.

To refresh, I started the uninstall procedure, and Firefox asked if I would rather refresh to original setting, than uninstall, and I said yes and refreshed the program that way.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I continue to have the problem in Chrome, and I reloaded the software. It has to be on the site, because there is no way that so many of the forum members are having the same problem.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I think it did it once early this week....

Using Chrome also.

No issue since.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Clear all your caches and reboot the computer.
I have done both. Last night, while thinking about this, I came to the conclusion that there is no reason for the administration to look into the issue. They are getting paid for every click that brings up an advertisement. I used to click on the ads because I want to support the website. Now it happens automatically.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I have done both. Last night, while thinking about this, I came to the conclusion that there is no reason for the administration to look into the issue. They are getting paid for every click that brings up an advertisement. I used to click on the ads because I want to support the website. Now it happens automatically.
After being free of the issue since shortly after starting this thread, when I refreshed firefox, it appeared again just now for the first time. Whatever I click on takes me to a new game site tab. I was not smart enough to take a screen shot.

I just clicked on my OTT bookmark, after closing the unwanted tab, and I am back to normal for the time being...

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
I am pretty sure one can configure firefox to to prevent this.

Another option is to add plug-in to browser called "DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials"

Using this plugin, along with replacing GOOGLE with DuckDuckGo for searching will eliminate 99% of advertisers tracking your browsing.

Microsoft and GOOGLE are in business to make money... advertisements are an income source for them.
Have you ever googled for...say... a "washing machine"... then suddenly you are inundated with ads for washers for the next week? This is how they do it.

DuckDuckGo has a PRIVACY business model.

Here are more details ==> https://duckduckgo.com/spread

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I have been having problems for at least a week now. Page reloads every couple minutes. Last night I tried to get on here and...never mind I can't even finish this post without it reloading. Help! Am I being jacked??

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I am pretty sure one can configure firefox to to prevent this.

Another option is to add plug-in to browser called "DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials"

Using this plugin, along with replacing GOOGLE with DuckDuckGo for searching will eliminate 99% of advertisers tracking your browsing.

Microsoft and GOOGLE are in business to make money... advertisements are an income source for them.
Have you ever googled for...say... a "washing machine"... then suddenly you are inundated with ads for washers for the next week? This is how they do it.

DuckDuckGo has a PRIVACY business model.

Here are more details ==> https://duckduckgo.com/spread
I use the duckduckgo browser app on my iphone and ipad...and just installed it on my workshop computer where the issue appeared. We'll see what happens, but not sure if I see the relationship between a search engine and just clicking on a link at the OTT site. Time will tell.

Also, the site I am being taken to changed from a game site to some kind of energy drink site it looks like. Strange name though... "something" SPIT... forget what the something was...

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
We'll see what happens, but not sure if I see the relationship between a search engine and just clicking on a link at the OTT site.
The 'relationship' is you also need to install "DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials" plugin which works in conjunction with your browser to block a lot of ads for ALL the sites you visit.

Beware: It is also possible you have a computer-virus which is complicating things. Have you done a "deep scan" of your harddrive to validate?

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
So we now have a computer virus.. What shall we call it Covirus? Is it contagious? It must be because so many of us are experiencing the problem. I know. Henro isn't spreading it because he was vaccinated. I promise to wear a mask whenever I come to this site in the future, and I will cover my computer with a bigger mask.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
The 'relationship' is you also need to install "DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials" plugin which works in conjunction with your browser to block a lot of ads for ALL the sites you visit.

Beware: It is also possible you have a computer-virus which is complicating things. Have you done a "deep scan" of your harddrive to validate?
Anything is possible, but if others are experiencing the same issue what are the chances…unless the virus source was this site itself…

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
This started a week or so ago and so far it's the only site doing it.. hopefully! Dang just had to start over again!

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
OK.... lets get back to computer security basics. This is one of the first things they teach every time I take the annual security training.

BEFORE clicking on ANYTHING, hover over it with mouse and read the URL (usually in the lower-left)
If the URL does not appear correct... DO NOT CLICK.

This holds true for browsers and for URL links in eMail too. Clicking in bad URLs in an eMail is the #1 way people get into trouble.

URL = Universal Resource Locator (Some people call this a "link")

I have noticed that on one computer (PC) frequently ( but not always) when I click on something like reply, or the like icon, or whatever, I am taken to a page that is an advertisement for a video game or something.
In this case, HOVER over the "like icon or whatever" and READ the URL.
If the URL does not start with "https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/posts/" .... DO NOT CLICK Instead, figure out why your browser loaded the wrong information for the 'like' icon.

In Firefox, I can right-click on ANY link and select 'inspect'. This will display the details of that link for further analysis. (I did this kind of stuff for a living as well as code-up websites)

It is really not the fault of the OTT website if your browser is loading the wrong information. All a web-browser does is point to URLs. When you click, the browser simply loads the page at that URL and render the screen.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
OK.... lets get back to computer security basics. This is one of the first things they teach every time I take the annual security training.

BEFORE clicking on ANYTHING, hover over it with mouse and read the URL (usually in the lower-left)

This holds true for browsers and for URL links in eMail too. Clicking in bad URLs in an eMail is the #1 way people get into trouble.

If the URL does not start with "https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/posts/" .... DO NOT CLICK Instead, figure out why your browser loaded the wrong information for the 'like' icon.

In Firefox, I can right-click on ANY link and select 'inspect'. This will display the details of that link for further analysis. (I did this kind of stuff for a living as well as code-up websites)

It is really not the fault of the OTT website if your browser is loading the wrong information. All a web-browser does is point to URLs. When you click, the browser simply loads the page at that URL and render the screen.
Is there a way to do this stuff on a phone? In emails I never open them unless I know for sure who it is or what it is. Good info thank you!
Some of us ol timers just don't get it and probably never will..

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA

Good advice, for unknown sites, but not sure it is practical to check before every click when at a known site like OTT.

I am only questioning because I don’t know.

For example, if am at OTT and want to change forums, I click on the Kubota Talk button and then the forum I want next. This works fine many times, then out of the blue, I am taken to a game site and the back button will not work. I do not click on anything besides the back button.

I close the tab, open a new one and click on my OTT bookmark, and everything at OTT works normally again, until it doesn’t, at which time I repeat the same steps.

Same thing has happened with the like button, or button to return to the same forum.

Not sure how many clicks work normally before the issue reappears, but if I had to right click on everything at a site before left clicking, I doubt I would visit that site much.

Also, several people here are reporting issues that seem related. I have not noticed anything similar happening at other sites, which I would think likely to happen if the issue was local.

I am mentioning these things simply because I am not sure if this line of thinking, that chances are the issue is not local, is reasonable or not.