Help another newbie decide between a B2601 vs LX2610

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I don’t have a strong feeling for what implements you will buy. If you plan to use the tractor this year, a major consideration is what dealers have in stock. You might want to find out what’s available and then choose the best choice.

If you order implements, it could be weeks or months after you take delivery before you see them. Either way, you need to decide fairly quickly if you want to use them and purchase or get them ordered.

I’m not trying to scare you. Most dealers have at least some implements … just making sure you know the current situation.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
Congrats! You’ll definitely enjoy the LX!

Mike

davep

Equipment
LX2610SU, RCR1860, BB1260, QH10, CID HBHS, CID CTFF, WR Long RBG2
Jul 20, 2021
Virginia
I was in a similar position as you. Though I was between B, LX, and L. I landed somewhere between LX and L, but due to availability LXs seem to be much more available right now. Anyways, as others have said, I think you'll be happy with the LX. Interesting discussion on the R14s. Never really came up as a discussion point for me. I went with the R4.

Willabe

Equipment
LX2610
Jun 9, 2021
Is the level indicator standard on the LA535 loader or do I need to add that as an accessory?

Goz63

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 loader, QH15,Land Pride RCR1860, BB2560, SGC0660, forks
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
Is the level indicator standard on the LA535 loader or do I need to add that as an accessory?
Have to add it from what I understand. I don’t think it comes standard on any tractor. Only about $70. I put it on after in about 10 min after watching a YouTube video.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I've never really understood the need for one. The bucket has a level indicator welded to it - when that plate is level, the bucket is level. I don't really like the ideal of all those rattly parts to bring the level indicator right up close to me.

Reactions: 1 user

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
FWIW, the way the bucket level indicator attaches to the LX (or at least the LX SU) is not that robust. Mine loosened and fell off (just could have been vibration); I recovered all of the pieces in good condition. However, after using the bucket both with and without the indicator, I found myself always looking at the top of the bucket. I did not reinstall the indicator, but I might try it again some day.

I am sure it is a personal thing.

YMMV

Newaterman

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC, Z422-54KW
Feb 14, 2021
Vermont
You’ll be very happy with the LX, and I wouldn’t be worried about maneuvering it around your lot. I get mine through 6’ gates and in some pretty tight places.

BE5EC8BC-D0A6-4FA8-AFFE-65A00E8EFBC8.jpeg
2BF8C390-E8FF-4E1D-B83C-0401A3FA4BD3.jpeg
C3AD3EE1-2B2C-4B27-B867-2E7E8F851306.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Lx2610 Cab, Fel, Backhoe, Grapple, Box Grader, Forks
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
FWIW, the way the bucket level indicator attaches to the LX (or at least the LX SU) is not that robust. Mine loosened and fell off (just could have been vibration); I recovered all of the pieces in good condition. However, after using the bucket both with and without the indicator, I found myself always looking at the top of the bucket. I did not reinstall the indicator, but I might try it again some day.

I am sure it is a personal thing.

YMMV
Ive found that having the indicator close to you helps with so much more than just the bucket, it helps with keeping other implements level as well.

Willabe

Equipment
LX2610
Jun 9, 2021
Well, it has arrived! I really lucked out; only took 5 weeks for me, but other LXs in the same shipment had been ordered up to 5 months ago! Dealer also included hooks at no cost (they got welded to my bucket by mistake) and upgraded me from PFL1242 to PFL2042 forks at no cost because he couldn't find 1242s anywhere. I also got 3rd function valve installed, telescoping lower links and the ratcheting lift arm (which is a very sweet addition). Didn't get to do much with her tonight, but got lots of work for her in the next couple weeks.

Attachments

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
That is a fine looking machine.

R14 tires?

I think I'd be driving it in the dark. :)

DonP

Equipment
Grand L3560 HSTC LE, BH92 Backhoe, Land Pride 1072 Grapple, 3600 #Forks
Sep 10, 2021
New York
Thanks all! Turns out the available LXs are all SU models. Even though I don't currently plan on mowing with the tractor, I think I want the option down the road and I've had several people indicate that it is an important feature for resale value in our area. Plus, I think I want my luxury features... The non SU LXs have roughly the same availability as the B2601s and are $2050 more than the B2601. Still not much.

My main concern with the LX is just it's shear size on my small lot, and I don't think going even larger will help with that. If we do move to a larger property at some point it would likely be in the 10-15 acre range, and in the off-chance we end-up on an even larger property (20-50+), I would just get a bigger tractor for heavy work and keep the small tractor for general utility. Most people in our neighborhood of 1-25ac rural residential lots have BXs or JD 1025/2025s, with two B23/2601s thrown in, but the previous owners of our current property did have a JD 2038R and another neighbor has a Massey Ferguson 135 on a similar property, so maybe the size of an LX isn't really an issue.

Other than size, are there other differences between the B2601 and LX2610 that I should be taking into account? The self-leveling kit is available on both, though reading past posts it sounds like that limits your curl also? I originally planned on the self leveling kit, but not sure it is worth the curling compromise? The dealer also indicated that could significantly delay the tractor.

Either one I plan to add a 3rd function to the loader, though again, the dealer said that could delay the tractor. I might see if I can lock the discounted price in and have it installed at the 50hr maintenance. I don't know much about rear remotes, but in what I've read, it doesn't seem like TNT for the box blade is a big issue on this size tractor. My gravel areas are dead flat (no crown) and the little adjustments I've had to make have been easy enough from the seat (at least when using the B1600). Sounds like if I end up wanting this, I could add it easily enough at a later time? I'm not financing and any "leftover" money is being reserved for future tractor needs, so I'm fine adding things down the road. Similarly, the dealer doesn't offer any incentives on implements, so there is no real advantage to including them in purchase.

Regarding brush hog size, I was told a medium duty 5ft would be fine for either machine. I have experienced the "tail wags the dog" with my neighbors B1600 and 4ft, but that is a very light tractor with no ballast.

Phew! Tired of typing!
You are right in the middle as far as what you are anticipating you will need in the future and your property size/limitations now. I wondered a lot if I was going too big from the 4701 to the L3560. Even today I look at the tracks I make and then limit my use in wet weather if possible. There is no doubt that a small 1 acre or so lot will be way too small for anything larger or equal to an LX size. But in the future, 15-20 acres may be way too much for an LX.

I say maybe consider something that gets you in the door. Maybe even something used to get you started. Tons of folks are upgrading to larger machines after getting hooked on BX models and relocating to a larger property. That's a viable path unless you are looking at financing for 0%.

If that's the case then stepping into an LX would be the biggest I would touch for now. You could make it work with turf on a small property, and when the time comes to buy more property my guess is that you may just keep the LX and get something in a larger L series or M series as a "sister" tractor.

The LX will be great for smaller projects and the M or L series will get the grunt work done in the future even if you're building a house or Barn... both would be a great set of tools to use when your upgrading to a larger property. Plus... if the property is a few years down the road you're going to be able to pay off a lot of the LX in the period between now and then and get enough experience that you'll have a good understanding of how much power and weight you will need when your ready for something more.

I do want to say though that there is a world of difference in buying a headache versus buying new. "Turnkey" regardless of the weather or climate is almost worth buying new. Oh... and don't short change yourself in looking into a cab model of the LX.

I had an MX4800 signed and sealed last year... open station with a canopy ... after I singed the paperwork, just for kicks I sat in a New Grand L3560 to see what this "CAB" thing was all about knowing full well I couldn't afford it, but still doing due diligence to myself.

I was back in the dealer sales office within 15 minutes changing the paperwork.

I like this thing, and the a big smile it puts on my face when its -15 degrees for weeks straight and I need to haul in an IBC tote full of firewood, or moving snow.... making that choice was everything for me. It levels the playing field for environmental conditions that would have kept me out of the seat in more inclement weather than anything else I've ever owned.

Good luck!!! I hope you do well with this!

Jhtractor

Equipment
2021 LX3310, LA535, RTR1258 tiller, QH10, BB1260, LX2963, PF1242, RCK60
Apr 23, 2021
Wisconsin
Well, it has arrived! I really lucked out; only took 5 weeks for me, but other LXs in the same shipment had been ordered up to 5 months ago! Dealer also included hooks at no cost (they got welded to my bucket by mistake) and upgraded me from PFL1242 to PFL2042 forks at no cost because he couldn't find 1242s anywhere. I also got 3rd function valve installed, telescoping lower links and the ratcheting lift arm (which is a very sweet addition). Didn't get to do much with her tonight, but got lots of work for her in the next couple weeks.

Congratulations! You will be amazed with what you can do with your little tractor! Nice looking machine. I had a similar decision to your scenario, comparing the B2601 and LX2610. I ended up with an LX3310, because the dealer had one in stock in March. Still waiting for my mid-mount mower, due sometime in September, but happy to have had the tractor and other implements this summer.

Willabe

Equipment
LX2610
Jun 9, 2021
Congratulations! You will be amazed with what you can do with your little tractor! Nice looking machine. I had a similar decision to your scenario, comparing the B2601 and LX2610. I ended up with an LX3310, because the dealer had one in stock in March. Still waiting for my mid-mount mower, due sometime in September, but happy to have had the tractor and other implements this summer.
My decision was (in part at least) also based on the fact the dealer had an "unspoken for" LX2610 supposedly coming in, whereas he had no available B2601s expected in any upcoming shipments.

Put about 5 hours on her today, leveling an area for grass seeding, and filling in around my new shop building.

Attachments

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
My decision was (in part at least) also based on the fact the dealer had an "unspoken for" LX2610 supposedly coming in, whereas he had no available B2601s expected in any upcoming shipments.

Put about 5 hours on her today, leveling an area for grass seeding, and filling in around my new shop building.
Congrats. Now take a few minutes to update your profile, and make it official :) .