Rear Blade/Landscape Rake

Porcupine

Equipment
L2501
Jun 15, 2021
NC
One of the tasks I use my tractor for is cleaning out the barn.

For now it’s got a dirt floor. We put shavings down, and goats being what they are, spent hay gets mixed in too.

Add copious amounts of urine and berries, and the result is a mix of matted wet hay and shavings and…”stuff”.

I generally start on one side and scrape the material to the middle with the rear blade then come around to scoop the material with the front loader. I’ll then do the other side, and repeat as necessary.

My main question is: Would a landscape rake be a better tool? The RB does well, but it can be hard on the floor. I’m not looking to scrape dirt out, just remove the material on top of it.

One of my next projects is to grade the floor and add material (gravel, sand, and grit, so I’ll still want to be easy on the floor even after I improve it.

Other recommendations are welcome too if one feels the question is too narrow.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Maybe replace cutting edge with rubber strip. A rake with springy tines will fling undesirable material all over you.

Reactions: 1 user

Porcupine

Equipment
L2501
Jun 15, 2021
NC
One man’s trash is another man’s treasure
Funny thing-I compost it and I’ve got a guy who buys all of it we produce when it’s about half done.

I’ve sold many things over the years, but I did think to myself after the first transaction: “Well-that is the first time I’ve literally sold someone a giant pile of crap.” :)

Reactions: 1 users

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I have raked a ton of paddocs and barn isles over the years I do not recall a single time that I got hit with "stuff". My 6' rake is about 6' behind me.

Reactions: 1 users

Porcupine

Equipment
L2501
Jun 15, 2021
NC
I have raked a ton of paddocs and barn isles over the years I do not recall a single time that I got hit with "stuff". My 6' rake is about 6' behind me.
Does it work well for matted hay?

I was also contemplating a toothed bucket edge as sometimes the mats stick together and get pulled back out of the bucket when lifting.

Ikc1990

Equipment
Kubota m125x, m9000, b2710, and other equiptment
Dec 2, 2020
Vermont
I also have a similar situation with my floor but no problems I put 1/2sure pack down 8inches worth in 2 lifts packing with 800lb plate compactor it's justlike concrete. I also was tired of on off tractor and handling the matted crap lol had a local fabrication guy build me a manure fork for tractor chains on bucket in seconds to put on or off. Turned hours of labor in to minutes.

Porcupine

Equipment
L2501
Jun 15, 2021
NC
I also have a similar situation with my floor but no problems I put 1/2sure pack down 8inches worth in 2 lifts packing with 800lb plate compactor it's justlike concrete. I also was tired of on off tractor and handling the matted crap lol had a local fabrication guy build me a manure fork for tractor chains on bucket in seconds to put on or off. Turned hours of labor in to minutes.
Hmmm,

I know those are all English words, but when you put them together in that particular order, I’m not sure I understand completely. ;)

Is Sure pack a type of gravel/aggregate?

What’s the fork look like? I’m intrigued.

One of the deficiencies of our barn design is a lack of places to push a bucket against. I havn’t decided how I’m going to fix that yet.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I would use a rake. To me it’s like using a regular rake instead of a shovel.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Is there any reason why you couldn't use the backside of your rear blade? either spin the blade 180 degrees, or push the blade in reverse. Doing so should still move your "muck" but not dig into the dirt.

I use the same method for plowing snow on a stone/millings driveway.

Reactions: 1 user

Ikc1990

Equipment
Dec 2, 2020
Vermont
Hmmm,

I know those are all English words, but when you put them together in that particular order, I’m not sure I understand completely. ;)

Is Sure pack a type of gravel/aggregate?

What’s the fork look like? I’m intrigued.

One of the deficiencies of our barn design is a lack of places to push a bucket against. I havn’t decided how I’m going to fix that yet.

Sure pac, staymatt, plant mix is all same material it is only found at rock quarry with crusher. Sand with round rocks junk. Even sandy gravel run throhcrusher isn't great it better buf 100% crushed rock is way to go. It packs the stuff with round rocks dosnt stay tight. You cant compact marbles. But you can the crushed rock esp when moist when dries up it hardens un like sandy soil it drys out becomes looser again.its the sure pac when dry and wet and compacted properly is like pouring concrete. But much cheaper

Porcupine

Equipment
L2501
Jun 15, 2021
NC
I’ll
Is there any reason why you couldn't use the backside of your rear blade? either spin the blade 180 degrees, or push the blade in reverse. Doing so should still move your "muck" but not dig into the dirt.

I use the same method for plowing snow on a stone/millings driveway.
I’ll give that a try. The way the barn is laid out, it’s best to pull everything to the center. I still need to find the balance between digging into the mats, and not digging into the floor.

I’m sure much of the solution depends on developing more skill with the rest blade.

The challenges I’m having aren’t huge issues. It’s more seeking better efficiency/reducing required time for a task.

Porcupine

Equipment
L2501
Jun 15, 2021
NC
Sure pac, staymatt, plant mix is all same material it is only found at rock quarry with crusher. Sand with round rocks junk. Even sandy gravel run throhcrusher isn't great it better buf 100% crushed rock is way to go. It packs the stuff with round rocks dosnt stay tight. You cant compact marbles. But you can the crushed rock esp when moist when dries up it hardens un like sandy soil it drys out becomes looser again.its the sure pac when dry and wet and compacted properly is like pouring concrete. But much cheaper
Got it!

Sounds like what they call “Crush and Run” here.

Ikc1990

Equipment
Dec 2, 2020
Vermont
Got it!

Sounds like what they call “Crush and Run” here.
Check with them cause round here is bank run Gravel put through a crusher hence crush and run. That's only a partially crushed product that's normally more sandy.