Buying my first Tractor

scooterbragg

Equipment
no tractor yet
Jun 15, 2021
middle ga
Hey guys, I've been soaking up as much information as I possibly can on this site. I'm looking to buy my first compact tractor and I have a ton of questions. I'll try not to make this entirely too long, but I'll start with a little background. I'm looking for a compact tractor to help around the house and side work. I'm in middle Ga and have 5 acres of mostly woods, about 1.5 acres of yard and another 3 acres of that is mature hardwoods that'll need bush hogging all around. I have a 275ft gravel driveway to maintain and also need to keep limbs picked up and help with firewood, as well as help with general animal chores (moving square bales for goats, moving/mixing compost, feed). Eventually i would like to start clearing some of the woods out directly behind the house and build a pole barn for storage, So I guess light grading as well. Now the kicker to this is I own a fencing company and would like this future machine to be able to help move around material and maybe get a post pounder for it and possibly get some side work bush hogging and maintaining driveways on the side to help it pay for itself. So as far as implements I'm thinking of getting with the purchase is a medium duty rotary cutter, box blade, grading scraper, pallets forks, and loader and bucket of course. I' be getting the 3rd function from dealer for future grapple purchase. Tires loaded? Rear remotes?

Now for the hard part, I've sat on a lx2610, l2501, and l3901. One major concern for going with the standard L series would be weight, I currently have a half ton truck and my trailer rated to carry 5k, it's a 18ft (2ft dovetail) with ramps. The lx series seems to be jumping to the front of line for this reason. I do enjoy the bells and whistles of the LX but the all digital dash worries me a little.

Would the L series with the loader and two grading implements be pushing my trailer weight to close? I would also be hauling to my church 40 miles to maintain all the gravel roads and parking there as well as help with other grounds keeping chores.

And for my last question, Which HP range do i need. I know that the Lx2610 and L2501 would do most of what I need but the extra HP down the road wouldn't be a bad thing for future attachments (splitter, chipper, and not going slow as molasses while cutting). I'm currently thinking have a little more HP than I currently need wouldn't be a bad thing, but the price difference on the DPF machines is nice as well as not running as high of RPM's as often (save on fuel consumption).

If I went with the standard L series I would be adding Cruise control, and maybe upgrading the seat if possible.

All that to say is which HP class in which series would you guys get. The LX3310 vs L3301. OR LX2610 VS L2501

There is a LX3310 in stock with a loader on it about an hour and a half from me, which is apparently rare. All the other dealers in my area barely have any units in the lots, the ones they do have are sold and waiting on their loaders.

Thank you in advance.

MNVikingsGuy

Equipment
LX3310, FEL, 60" bucket, 60" grapple, 60" box blade, 60" flail, LX2980 blower,
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
I have loved my LX3310 for our 70+ acres (80% wooded). Ran up to 4" branches through the chipper for hours last weekend without even the tiniest hint of slow down and is in the process of clearing trails with a flail mower through 3" brush/poplar stands without a single bog down. My only wish is a little more front-end loader lift capacity - If I had a little more storage space and a bigger purchase budget a Grand L 4060 probably would have been ideal for me, but there has yet to be something I have on my project list the LX3310 has failed to do well. Even though I am in MN I am glad I did not get the cab - my work is a lot of on and off the tractor - YMMV.

Reactions: 1 user

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I’m not sure about the post pounder requirements. Otherwise, I’d go with the L2501 unless you want to step up to an even bigger tractor. The L2501 will handle the heavier lifting chores better as a larger machine than the LX. Another thought depending on what you want to lift is a L3560LE with the optioned stronger loader.

My L2501 sips fuel, btw. You could possibly load the bed of your truck as well to take weight off the trailer. Kind of a pain, but possible. At least the L will lift high enough to put an implement in the bed which will take weight off the trailer.

If the trailer capacity is 5000 after taking the weight of the trailer off, you should be ok. I’m assuming that is two 3500 lb axles. Another option would be to upgrade the trailer, and revisit the tractor size.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
1. Double check trailer capacity as Jim mentioned. Does the 5k include trailer weight? Most ratings do, which means 5k - trailer weight...so it is even worse than you think. I am pretty sure you are going to need a new trailer...sorry. You also may have a touch time getting 2 implements, FEL, bucket, and tractor on an 18 ft trailer even if you did make weight. Maybe bring a strap and put 1 implement in the bed of the truck (if it meets capacity limits).
2. Fencing CO...I would go skid or track loader if you are really serious about it and have lots of clients. it will just be faster and more capable.
3. Mowing is a HP intensive task...so this is where a L39 will be much better than a L25. You might even go up another HP to L4701. Sure if you are mowing thin grass a few inches tall the L25 will be fine. If it is usually wet, thick, tall, with brush you will probably have issues.
4. I would get loaded rears unless you are working on people's yards/nice grass. If you are there is some consideration for using rear weights or always on 3PT ballast.
5. LX3310 is a nice machine, but pretty small and light. Based on what you have described I would probably bump up to the L. If you were only taking care of your 5 acres the LX would be fine. What really sucks if implements...if you get a LX with implements then decide you need more tractor...you are going to be buying implements all over again.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I did not want a computer or a DPF so I made it a point to stay at or below 25 horsepower. I favor simplicity over bells and whistles - easier to maintain. My L2501 runs my five foot brush hog just fine. If you go for a lighter tractor you may wish to consider a smaller brush hog. No, it doesn't mow my lawn. I have a lawn mower for that.

scooterbragg

Equipment
no tractor yet
Jun 15, 2021
middle ga
Thank you for all the replies so far. The trailer has two 3.5k axles, so I can load up to 5k on it. I mainly do residential privacy fencing and small pins ( goats, dog ,and chicken runs for small acreage homestead client. So I could be around lawns pretty often. I do rent skid steers or sub it out when need be. My concern with the standard L is being too heavy in general and then need ballast as well.

And my concern with the LX would be that it not have quite enough weight to pull a 5’ box blade.

Porcupine

Equipment
L2501
Jun 15, 2021
NC
New member and tractor owner here, so take what my limited experience offers for what it’s worth.

I joined to respond to this post as your situation has some similarities to mine.

I can’t address the post driver question, and I don’t mow with the tractor, so I’m not much help there.

My wife and daughter run a dairy goat breeding program on about 4 open acres of our property, we’ve got another acre or so of “lawn”, and several more acres of woods.

I’ve got 135 yards of recycled asphalt driveway, and a 60x40 livestock barn.

For the uses we have in common, the 2501 has met or exceeded my expectations all around. I used it for cleaning the winter bedding/spent hay buildup in the barn creating a pile about 6’ high x 6’ wide at the base and about 20’ long. Between the FEL and the grading blade on the back I was able to get that done in about a day and a half as a zero experience operator.

I just cleaned the barn again creating a pile about 1/3 that size in about 1/2 a day. I’ve done some minor repairs to the driveway with the rear blade with no difficulty other than my lack of experience requiring a significant learning curve.

I’ve loaded a medium dump truck and several trailers with compost, and find myself using the tractor frequently for moving pallets of feed, shavings, building materials, or general “stuff” more days than not.

We feed mostly round bales, and the tractor handles them easily With the front mounted hay spear. I’ve moved one large (3’x4’x7’) Alfalfa bale with pallet forks. The round bale spear wanted to tear up through the square bale “flakes”, so it was a non starter. While I was successful, I think it was a bit much for the tractor. I think a (3’x3’x7’) would be reasonably manageable.

I bought the tractor with FEL, pallet forks, hay spear, and grader blade. The dealer loaded the tires, but that was about it.

I’ve moved it on my 16’ (7000 GVW) trailer without issue.

On occasion when moving material with the bucket (especially with a high sided dump truck) I’ve wished the tractor was a bit bigger, but an hour later when running the scraper and FEL in the barn, I’d wish it were a bit smaller.

Based on your description, I think the L2501 should be under your consideration unless the post pounding requirement can’t be met with it.

I’ve had the tractor about 6 weeks and have just over 30 hours on it, FWIW.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

MNVikingsGuy

Equipment
LX3310, FEL, 60" bucket, 60" grapple, 60" box blade, 60" flail, LX2980 blower,
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
And my concern with the LX would be that it not have quite enough weight to pull a 5’ box blade.
My lx3310 (with filled tires) does fine with 60” box blade on our quarter mile gravel driveway.

scooterbragg

Equipment
no tractor yet
Jun 15, 2021
middle ga
1. Double check trailer capacity as Jim mentioned. Does the 5k include trailer weight? Most ratings do, which means 5k - trailer weight...so it is even worse than you think. I am pretty sure you are going to need a new trailer...sorry. You also may have a touch time getting 2 implements, FEL, bucket, and tractor on an 18 ft trailer even if you did make weight. Maybe bring a strap and put 1 implement in the bed of the truck (if it meets capacity limits).
2. Fencing CO...I would go skid or track loader if you are really serious about it and have lots of clients. it will just be faster and more capable.
3. Mowing is a HP intensive task...so this is where a L39 will be much better than a L25. You might even go up another HP to L4701. Sure if you are mowing thin grass a few inches tall the L25 will be fine. If it is usually wet, thick, tall, with brush you will probably have issues.
4. I would get loaded rears unless you are working on people's yards/nice grass. If you are there is some consideration for using rear weights or always on 3PT ballast.
5. LX3310 is a nice machine, but pretty small and light. Based on what you have described I would probably bump up to the L. If you were only taking care of your 5 acres the LX would be fine. What really sucks if implements...if you get a LX with implements then decide you need more tractor...you are going to be buying implements all over again.
I’m getting mixed suggestions from dealers. With the standard L series would I be using 72” implements?

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
I have 2 acres clear and a mile of road. On that 2 acres I "farm" maybe half an acre.

For my uses, a 2501 wouldn't be enough. I find my L3301 is quite good for the work. Sometimes I wouldn't mind a 3901 but mostly what I have seems a good fit.

scooterbragg

Equipment
no tractor yet
Jun 15, 2021
middle ga
New member and tractor owner here, so take what my limited experience offers for what it’s worth.

I joined to respond to this post as your situation has some similarities to mine.

I can’t address the post driver question, and I don’t mow with the tractor, so I’m not much help there.

My wife and daughter run a dairy goat breeding program on about 4 open acres of our property, we’ve got another acre or so of “lawn”, and several more acres of woods.

I’ve got 135 yards of recycled asphalt driveway, and a 60x40 livestock barn.

For the uses we have in common, the 2501 has met or exceeded my expectations all around. I used it for cleaning the winter bedding/spent hay buildup in the barn creating a pile about 6’ high x 6’ wide at the base and about 20’ long. Between the FEL and the grading blade on the back I was able to get that done in about a day and a half as a zero experience operator.

I just cleaned the barn again creating a pile about 1/3 that size in about 1/2 a day. I’ve done some minor repairs to the driveway with the rear blade with no difficulty other than my lack of experience requiring a significant learning curve.

I’ve loaded a medium dump truck and several trailers with compost, and find myself using the tractor frequently for moving pallets of feed, shavings, building materials, or general “stuff” more days than not.

We feed mostly round bales, and the tractor handles them easily With the front mounted hay spear. I’ve moved one large (3’x4’x7’) Alfalfa bale with pallet forks. The round bale spear wanted to tear up through the square bale “flakes”, so it was a non starter. While I was successful, I think it was a bit much for the tractor. I think a (3’x3’x7’) would be reasonably manageable.

I bought the tractor with FEL, pallet forks, hay spear, and grader blade. The dealer loaded the tires, but that was about it.

I’ve moved it on my 16’ (7000 GVW) trailer without issue.

On occasion when moving material with the bucket (especially with a high sided dump truck) I’ve wished the tractor was a bit bigger, but an hour later when running the scraper and FEL in the barn, I’d wish it were a bit smaller.

Based on your description, I think the L2501 should be under your consideration unless the post pounding requirement can’t be met with it.

I’ve had the tractor about 6 weeks and have just over 30 hours on it, FWIW.
Those goats love wasting hay. I think the standard L series would suite my need for for most of my chores around here. Do you have any idea what your l2501 with the loader and bucket weighs?

NvRudder

Equipment
L2501DT, LA525, R14's, Bison NVHA210 84" RB, Allied 60" SB, Diamond C 10k Dump
Jun 15, 2021
Northern NV
Those goats love wasting hay. I think the standard L series would suite my need for for most of my chores around here. Do you have any idea what your l2501 with the loader and bucket weighs?
From the Ops Manuals:
L2501DT 2WD = 2,425 4WD = 2,601 and HST = 2,623 Lbs
LA525 Loader = 805 Lbs
Square 60" Bucket = 181 Lbs
Square 66" Bucket = 265 Lbs

Would also need to adjust for Tire types, filling and any added weights...

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users

scooterbragg

Equipment
no tractor yet
Jun 15, 2021
middle ga
From the Ops Manuals:
L2501DT 2WD = 2,425 4WD = 2,601 and HST = 2,623 Lbs
LA525 Loader = 805 Lbs
Square 60" Bucket = 181 Lbs
Square 66" Bucket = 265 Lbs

Would also need to adjust for Tire types, filling and any added weights...

Hope this helps!
That helps a lot. I’m thinking the R4s and not sure what they fill them with. Thank you very much for your help. I’ll be cutting it close with filled tires and cutter on the back.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I’m getting mixed suggestions from dealers. With the standard L series would I be using 72” implements?

There are a few considerations. First width of implement to width of rear tires. Second HP/weight needed to drive PTO or dirt engagement.
Since most of the L series is about the same weight, no real difference there. Most tractors dont have downward 3PT pressure, so you rely on the weight of the implement to drive it into the ground. From there the weight of the tractor dictates how much work can be done to the dirt (more weight will support a wider implement contacting the dirt and moving it). For HP it doesnt really matter for dirt work, but I know Kubota likes to put HP ranges to match up implements. This is stupid for ground engagement..it should be based on weight. Consequently most buyers dont think about a 3000 lb tractor, they think about a 25 HP tractor. I can do just as much dirt work with a L2501 as I can with a L3901. There will be no difference.

However it does for PTO driven implements (ie rotary cutter). The wider the implement, the longer/heavier the cutting blade and therefore the more HP you need to turn it. A 47HP tractor will turn a 6 ft mower much better than a 25 HP...especially in heavy/wet vegetation. So you have to decide what you really want.

All of the L are about the same weight. Implements should be about the width of the rear wheels unless you are using them at an angle ( like a rear scraper blade or a landscape rake). L 25, 39 width is 55. L47 is 62. I am not 100% if that measurement is to the outside of the rear tires, but that is what you want to check. If you have a box blade sticking out a foot on either side of your rear wheels...you are going to hit something with it. You might think you can always remember it is wider...but you wont. You will forget that 1 time and destroy something in the process. A few inches wont matter, but much more is probably bad. If you have a scraper blade, it will be angled most of the time so you can get by with a 72 because angled it will be within the rear wheels.

Reactions: 1 users

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
L3301 should meet your needs. For my wood chipping, I saw up limbs/trees into bonfire sized pieces. Any limb/branch under 1" diameter gets flattened by the bush hog to decay or use as kindling. A wood chipper sounds like too much work.

scooterbragg

Equipment
no tractor yet
Jun 15, 2021
middle ga
L3301 should meet your needs. For my wood chipping, I saw up limbs/trees into bonfire sized pieces. Any limb/branch under 1" diameter gets flattened by the bush hog to decay or use as kindling. A wood chipper sounds like too much work.
The l3301 I think would put me around 27Hp at the PTO. Which should be plenty for a cutter, chipper, or tiller. My wife wants the wood chips for garden bed and her chicken coops. I would much prefer to just burn all the brush. I wonder what the price jump would be to l3901. You guys have got me thinking it’s better to have more and not need it, than to need it and not have it

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
The l3301 I think would put me around 27Hp at the PTO. Which should be plenty for a cutter, chipper, or tiller. My wife wants the wood chips for garden bed and her chicken coops. I would much prefer to just burn all the brush. I wonder what the price jump would be to l3901. You guys have got me thinking it’s better to have more and not need it, than to need it and not have it
I just made those decisions. For HST with loader all of the dealers (except 1) quoted the L2501 with a footnote "add $5k for L3901". That one dealer was about a thousand less on the 3901 and thats the machine I purchased.

A big part of my calculus was "free money" from Kubota. Financed over 84 months at 0% APR that $4K price premium works out to $47 per month - $59 per month at $5K. I can drop that much on one bad day at the golf course :p:p

The 3301 was never an option for me. I did price the 4701 which is a bigger and heavier machine with stronger loader but decided it was maybe too big. In retrospect and with 40 hours in the seat of the L3901 my wife is probably right - no such thing as too big....

Implements can be purchased over time and separate from the tractor so don't hamstring yourself by adding an expensive implement package to the cost of the base machine.

Dan

scooterbragg

Equipment
no tractor yet
Jun 15, 2021
middle ga
I just made those decisions. For HST with loader all of the dealers (except 1) quoted the L2501 with a footnote "add $5k for L3901". That one dealer was about a thousand less on the 3901 and thats the machine I purchased.

A big part of my calculus was "free money" from Kubota. Financed over 84 months at 0% APR that $4K price premium works out to $47 per month - $59 per month at $5K. I can drop that much on one bad day at the golf course :p:p

The 3301 was never an option for me. I did price the 4701 which is a bigger and heavier machine with stronger loader but decided it was maybe too big. In retrospect and with 40 hours in the seat of the L3901 my wife is probably right - no such thing as too big....

Implements can be purchased over time and separate from the tractor so don't hamstring yourself by adding an expensive implement package to the cost of the base machine.

Dan
[/QUOTE

I’m having a hard time finding inventory. And getting quotes on anything other an l2501 or gear drive units. I think that’s good advice with the implements, I’m spending too much time researching the implements in addition to the tractor. I’m just trying to get all the research done before I see a shiny unit sitting on a lot that isn’t already sold. I know I’ll want it then. I’ll stick with the basic implements for now and add as I need them. Have any experience with a grading scraper? Should I go with that for my driveway over a box blade?

Porcupine

Equipment
L2501
Jun 15, 2021
NC
Not to get too far off topic, but we’ve made great progress in reducing the amount of waste hay the goats produce. Mostly feeder deign and location.