Landscape Rake?

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Hi all

So not to bring up a well aged debate, but I’m trying to figure out where I will get the most value, a landscape rake or box grader, for my current needs.

For my needs, I have a good sized gravel driveway, that is well compacted and very hard when dry. But it does soften a bit after rains. I will also be looking to strip moss covered areas for renovations, prepping spots for food plots, and grading out top soil.

My plan for areas to be renovated would be to rent a tiller, till it, then in theory run a landscape rake to clean it and grade it, something that perhaps the box grader would not do so well at in regards to cleaning and prepping soils. It seems my main concern would be the application of the landscape rake to my gravel driveway.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you
My York rake has a drop down blade. It's not a box blade, and won't carry a load, but it is my go to tool for roadway maintenance!

I've got a box blade also, but that only sees service when moving soft material.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
My suggestion was box blade first and then chain harrow.

The issue you have on box blade size is the lack of weight in your BX and if you try to move too much material you will lose traction.
I would recommend that you tackle your maintenance when it is softer, using the box blade rippers first to break things up, then smooth out with box blade no rippers, just move materials, then fine finish with chain harrow if needed. Box blading can take some getting used to and setting up, practice makes perfect.

I find that it’s better to move smaller amounts of materials rather than trying to take big bites.

RBA50

Equipment
B2320, LA304 loader (B1658 QA), B2789 snowblower, RCK54-29B MMM, HF quick hitch
Apr 29, 2013
Goldendale, WA
Your owner's manual probably has a table that lists recommended maximum sizes and weights of various implements, at least the one for my B2320 does. You can probably handle a 54" box blade, which should cover your tracks. Around here, finding one that size is next to impossible!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
What size box blade are you using on your BX23?
I use a 48" box blade, and am happy with it.

I don't have spacers, and think tread width is about 44"or so.

I would not go more than 54" .

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Steve,

This link will give you a basic guide on what your tractor can handle based on Land Pride Implements

Performance Matched Land Pride Implements for BX Series (kubotausa.com)

Using the above as a guide will help you narrow your choices. Realizing that each manufacture makes their products a little different, so you have different weights that come into play. You may be able to pull a size 60 ABC model of attachment on your tractor, yet when you switch to XYZ model because of the weight and design, you may only be able to pull a size 54 model.

Plus you have to consider the conditions you are working in. Some have hilly land, some have rocky land, some have muddy land, (you get the point) so what works for me may not work for you or you may be able to go bigger than me because of your ground conditions.

Yet with all that said, the above chart will give you a good ball park of what sizes to be looking at and will help you know when you are looking way outside of the capabilities of the tractor regardless of the conditions.

802Driver

Equipment
LX2610SU 60" Bucket Land Pride54" Box Blade Farm King 4572 Rear Blade
May 18, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
Let me clarify, I would not be tilling the driveway.😅

I mentioned tilling other areas, and following with landscape rake. My concern is the landscape rake being able to bust up the gravel

How does the box grader do for stripping ground to soil?

Trying to make the right $700 decision
Best method at least for the driveway is the box blade, scarifier teeth down to cut into the hard pan initially, then raise the scarifiers and tilt the box for the cutting blade. Box blades are incredible what they can do to a driveway.
After tilling dirt areas, I think the landscape rake is an excellent idea to clean up loose weeds and roots from tilling.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I use a 48" box blade, and am happy with it.

I don't have spacers, and think tread width is about 44"or so.

I would not go more than 54" .
I have a BX and larger B2910. I use a 60" Box blade on the B2910, and can easily end up spinning my wheels if I get overly aggressive. I would not consider a 60" BB for a BX, knowing what my experience tells me.

I would go no larger than 48" for my BX if I were going to buy one for the BX, which I am not obviously.

Reactions: 1 user

SteveBX23

Equipment
LX2610SU; BH77
May 23, 2021
South Jersey
I have a BX and larger B2910. I use a 60" Box blade on the B2910, and can easily end up spinning my wheels if I get overly aggressive. I would not consider a 60" BB for a BX, knowing what my experience tells me.

I would go no larger than 48" for my BX if I were going to buy one for the BX, which I am not obviously.
Thanks!

SteveBX23

Equipment
LX2610SU; BH77
May 23, 2021
South Jersey
Steve,

This link will give you a basic guide on what your tractor can handle based on Land Pride Implements

Performance Matched Land Pride Implements for BX Series (kubotausa.com)

Using the above as a guide will help you narrow your choices. Realizing that each manufacture makes their products a little different, so you have different weights that come into play. You may be able to pull a size 60 ABC model of attachment on your tractor, yet when you switch to XYZ model because of the weight and design, you may only be able to pull a size 54 model.

Plus you have to consider the conditions you are working in. Some have hilly land, some have rocky land, some have muddy land, (you get the point) so what works for me may not work for you or you may be able to go bigger than me because of your ground conditions.

Yet with all that said, the above chart will give you a good ball park of what sizes to be looking at and will help you know when you are looking way outside of the capabilities of the tractor regardless of the conditions.
This is perfect, thank you for showing me this

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA

[After saying the above] I was over at my daughters house last night for dinner and noticed my son-in-law had his box blade on his BX23S.

I didn’t get a chance to talk to him about it, but I noticed it was a 54 inch box blade, and that it looked like it was designed for use on a BX, because it seem to be very light duty. I didn’t measure anything but it looked like it was made from quarter inch plate maybe, when my box blade is made from 3/8 inch probably (My memory tells me).

Point is that a 54 inch box blade designed for use on a subCUT may actually work just fine with the BX. Still, if I were buying one and expecting to use it aggressively on my BX, I would still limit myself to 48”…

Another consideration is how aggressive you can end up being, if you don’t have top and tilt on your tractor. My guess is that without the ability to easily adjust the cutting angle, users often keep their box blades at a less aggressive angle and therefore a wider box blade works OK in that case.

SteveBX23

Equipment
LX2610SU; BH77
May 23, 2021
South Jersey
[After saying the above] I was over at my daughters house last night for dinner and noticed my son-in-law had his box blade on his BX23S.

I didn’t get a chance to talk to him about it, but I noticed it was a 54 inch box blade, and that it looked like it was designed for use on a BX, because it seem to be very light duty. I didn’t measure anything but it looked like it was made from quarter inch plate maybe, when my box blade is made from 3/8 inch probably (My memory tells me).

Point is that a 54 inch box blade designed for use on a subCUT may actually work just fine with the BX. Still, if I were buying one and expecting to use it aggressively on my BX, I would still limit myself to 48”…

Another consideration is how aggressive you can end up being, if you don’t have top and tilt on your tractor. My guess is that without the ability to easily adjust the cutting angle, users often keep their box blades at a less aggressive angle and therefore a wider box blade works OK in that case.
Thank you.

At this point, I am leaning towards a 48” LP box blade. And I won’t be surprised if the landscape rake soon follows. I have many uses for them both. I will also be looking to rough till some areas for either food plotting, or lawn renovation. While I know a tiller would be best for those two uses, it seems a box blade can get the job done with time. I am looking forward to adding versatility to my tractor!

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Box blade. You have no weight on that machine to really engage the ground. You need all the help you can get. I would stick with the recommended width for that series of tractor. Measure rear wheel width you want a BB to be about the same. If you go over, you risk catching it on something.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Thank you.

At this point, I am leaning towards a 48” LP box blade. And I won’t be surprised if the landscape rake soon follows. I have many uses for them both. I will also be looking to rough till some areas for either food plotting, or lawn renovation. While I know a tiller would be best for those two uses, it seems a box blade can get the job done with time. I am looking forward to adding versatility to my tractor!
I use my 6 foot landscape rake behind my BX as well as on the larger tractor and the BX seems to deal with it fine. Except if I’m trying to drag the rake up a 15° slope with the BX. The BX will lose traction whereas the larger tractor just keeps going. Just a data point for the future…

edit: The only issue with the BX and the 6 foot landscape rake was that I was unable to spin the rake around to reverse it. One end hit the ground. I remedied this by drilling a couple new holes in the lift rod forked ends, which gave me enough extra left so that I can swing the landscape rake around on my BX without hitting the ground now.

Spiff215

Equipment
Bx23s (LA340 loader,BT603 backhoe & 60" belly finish mower) and BB126 Landpride
Jul 8, 2021
Let me clarify, I would not be tilling the driveway.😅

I mentioned tilling other areas, and following with landscape rake. My concern is the landscape rake being able to bust up the gravel

How does the box grader do for stripping ground to soil?

Trying to make the right $700 decision
"Hold my beer" I think I can till that....🤙🤣🤙