MX 5400 FEL rear tire pressure

Paulrite

Equipment
2021 MX5400
Mar 28, 2021
Hi gang,

Just bought a new MX 5400 with FEL and noticed immediately the lack of rear weight, so I just had RimGuard added for a total of 1,200 lbs.
Gotta admit the rear still seems a little light, but much better than before. Here's my question: As I drive my tractor down my gravel driveway I notice my rear tires pick up gravel dust only on the center half of the tire. Obviously the tire is supporting weight only on the center portion of the tire. This is at a tire pressure of ~15 psi. Shouldn't the whole tire ( R4"s) be contacting any surface I'm driving on, or is this normal? I'd like to achieve as much traction as possible, especially this winter. Would lowering the tire pressure to ~10 psi be feasible, or is that too low?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this!

Paul

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
I would let the pressure down until there were 2 lugs (front-back) full width touching the ground.
Adjust from there.

Reactions: 1 user

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Hi gang,

Just bought a new MX 5400 with FEL and noticed immediately the lack of rear weight, so I just had RimGuard added for a total of 1,200 lbs.
Gotta admit the rear still seems a little light, but much better than before. Here's my question: As I drive my tractor down my gravel driveway I notice my rear tires pick up gravel dust only on the center half of the tire. Obviously the tire is supporting weight only on the center portion of the tire. This is at a tire pressure of ~15 psi. Shouldn't the whole tire ( R4"s) be contacting any surface I'm driving on, or is this normal? I'd like to achieve as much traction as possible, especially this winter. Would lowering the tire pressure to ~10 psi be feasible, or is that too low?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this!

Paul

As you get closer to the correct air pressure take smaller steps try 12-13 psi. On a brand new tire I do not think you want to go too soft.

When you say the rear end seams light are you just moving the tractor or is that with the bucket full? Even with the rim guard in the tires you still need a ballast on the 3 point. A box blade, or rotary cutter will work and then you could buy a weight box , maybe make one.

Reactions: 1 user

Paulrite

Equipment
2021 MX5400
Mar 28, 2021
As you get closer to the correct air pressure take smaller steps try 12-13 psi. On a brand new tire I do not think you want to go too soft.

When you say the rear end seams light are you just moving the tractor or is that with the bucket full? Even with the rim guard in the tires you still need a ballast on the 3 point. A box blade, or rotary cutter will work and then you could buy a weight box , maybe make one.
Thanks for the advice! Though the rear end seems "light", it is most noticeable with a load in the bucket.
I'll experiment with the tire pressure today and see if I can get a better footprint. I think I'm going to buy a ballast box, and am also thinking about 2-3 inch wheel spacers to give a little more stability side to side.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Thanks for the advice! Though the rear end seems "light", it is most noticeable with a load in the bucket.
I'll experiment with the tire pressure today and see if I can get a better footprint. I think I'm going to buy a ballast box, and am also thinking about 2-3 inch wheel spacers to give a little more stability side to side.
What are you doing that makes you feel unstable with that big of a tractor? I would try the ballast on the rear to see if your stability improves. If your rear tires are firmly on the ground you may not need the spacers.

swpflipper

Equipment
MX5400 HST, LA1065 FEL, HR2572 box blade - S30 flip Screen
Nov 3, 2020
Arizona
I have a NX5400 - if I don't have my box blade on the back mine feels light in the rear too. These can carry some weight in the bucket or when using a forklift so weight in the back is necessary. As for tires, I run at 20 PSI at all 4 corners.
Low air pressure can cause the tire to come off the rim under load.
I am sure I maxed the loader weight more than once.