Tool box options

CKNPRO

Equipment
L4701 HST
Apr 16, 2021
Alabama
So what have you good Orange tractor folks done in the way of add-on tool boxes? I know about using an old ammo can to replace the chincy plastic Kubota box. I done done that. Used an .50 cal ammo can. I am trying to figure a way to mount a a .30 cal can as a chain box. I would like to mount it on the left side FEL mount - that big 5" round piece. But I am having a difficult time figuring how to mount it there. No doubt it can be done, I just haven't come up with an easy way yet. As I think about this, I might use the behind the seat box for a chain box and mount another general tool box elsewhere..... but where?

brikhaus

Equipment
BX23S TLB
Apr 21, 2021
Indiana
I saw on a video on you tube by DIY My Way where he added chain boxes on the sides of his loader. The video is called
Adding Chain Boxes to My Kubota Tractor (#28)

CKNPRO

Equipment
L4701 HST
Apr 16, 2021
Alabama
I saw on a video on you tube by DIY My Way where he added chain boxes on the sides of his loader. The video is called
Adding Chain Boxes to My Kubota Tractor (#28)
Yeah - that’s a neat install and he did a nice job, but I think he’ll be ultimately disappointed in the JB Weld, especially when he whacks something with them sticking off the loader towers. This is why I am focused on mounting to the round FEL mounting bracket tube between loader tower and tractor. He would have a much better attachment had he drilled and tapped the tower - but they’d still be sticking out there like warts. Just not sure I like that part. I am using a .30 cal can so it wouldn’t stick out as much, might not be as problematic. Though I may use the same idea but on the inside of the tower....now there’s an idea. Drill three holes in triangle fashion, tap for bolts, use washers or whatever for spacer. That might work just fine - as long as the loader is on the tractor when you need a chain.

jkrez

Equipment
Gr2120, LX3310, bh77 hoe, 64 inch commercial snow blower, landpride pallet forks
Apr 16, 2021
Berks County PA
How about drill a hole in the ammo box and use a rubber test plug tightened through the inside into the tube? It should be strong enough to hold a chain?
It should be pretty solid, but still pop out if hit hard and avoid any damage. Although may get run over. Opps!
Just spit balling here.
I don’t even have my LX3310 yet.

I am going over all the projects around here to do.

MNVikingsGuy

Equipment
LX3310, FEL, 60" bucket, 60" grapple, 60" box blade, 60" flail, LX2980 blower,
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
If your machine has a hollow cross tube in the FEL I have seen guys build $2 plugs for both sides and put chains in there.

Reactions: 1 users

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I use the holes in the loader arms to store my straps and chains.

I had a nice size old Kennedy tool box I painted orange and mounted it. Drilled 3 holes through the tool box and the support that held the reflector, couple big washers on the inside of the tool box and done. It is great and holds plenty of stuff.

Only down side so far is when looking back when using my garden bedder in the garden it is little hard to see. If I were to raise it up 3 or 4 inches the line of sight would be plenty good.
20180408_133745.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Mount an ATV front-basket on the ROPs and put your. Tools and/or toolbox in it.
It will do double-duty to prevent things from being tossed up from a shredder and into your back or back of your head. (if you look behind my seat you can see the ordinary steel mechanics toolbox I bought, painted orange, and mounted there also. I keep smaller tools like screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers, etc. in it. Larger stuff like Axe, bow-saw, crowbar,chain-saw, beer-cooler etc. are in the basket. A web-net made of bungee material from HF (which they call a motorcycle helmet net) has hooks on each corner is also depicted in these photos, and is something I have stretched across the top of the basket to keep things from bouncing out.... although that is overkill. Nothing has ever done that.). My triangle-SMV sign has a strong 3” round-magnet bolted on it, and it sticks to that flat, rectangular piece of steel in the middle of the aft view of the basket, for when/if I ever get out on a county road.)

Attachments

Reactions: 7 users

jkrez

Equipment
Gr2120, LX3310, bh77 hoe, 64 inch commercial snow blower, landpride pallet forks
Apr 16, 2021
Berks County PA
Mount an ATV front-basket on the ROPs and put your. Tools and/or toolbox in it.
It will do double-duty to prevent things from being tossed up from a shredder and into your back or back of your head. (if you look behind my seat you can see the ordinary steel mechanics toolbox I bought, painted orange, and mounted there also. I keep smaller tools like screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers, etc. in it. Larger stuff like Axe, bow-saw, crowbar,chain-saw, beer-cooler etc. are in the basket. A web-net made of bungee material from HF (which they call a motorcycle helmet net) has hooks on each corner is also depicted in these photos, and is something I have stretched across the top of the basket to keep things from bouncing out.... although that is overkill. Nothing has ever done that.). My triangle-SMV sign has a strong 3” round-magnet bolted on it, and it sticks to that flat, rectangular piece of steel in the middle of the aft view of the basket, for when/if I ever get out on a county road.)
That is awesome. I have the same basket on my Polaris Sportsman.

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Square tubing has solved my chain, chainsaw and long tool carrying problem.
Orange, M59, 6x6” tubing bolted on. Lower skid plates added to protect hydraulics.
Gray, B26, 5x5” tubing welded on.

Attachments

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I mounted a 50 cal ammo box on my loader tower. There's a boss with a couple of threaded holes on my machine that I mounted to. Works great, easy access, keeps everything inside dry and clean.

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
Not sure how this is gonna hold up, but I mounted an ammo can on the SMV sign bracket. Then added a SMV bracket for the sign. If I had one complaint.....one thing about inside the cab... hardly room for an adjustable wrench!
C81CA04C-4283-487C-9470-B0696EC52C48.jpeg

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
As I am likely the worlds worst spray can or brush painter.... And I don't care...

I keep a steel 30 cal ammo can bolted to the frame under the grill guard for small tools, extra lynch pins and you name it..

I have a 50 cal ammo can bolted to the deck of the brush hog mower with all needed to burn in and adjust the slip clutch as needed.. Plus some extra little things as needed..

Ammo cans are very secure on there own.. If you need more security you can drill and bolt an eye bolt through the hole in the handle to use a lynch pin or other snap to secure the handle..

CKNPRO

Equipment
L4701 HST
Apr 16, 2021
Alabama
As I am likely the worlds worst spray can or brush painter.... And I don't care...

I keep a steel 30 cal ammo can bolted to the frame under the grill guard for small tools, extra lynch pins and you name it..

I have a 50 cal ammo can bolted to the deck of the brush hog mower with all needed to burn in and adjust the slip clutch as needed.. Plus some extra little things as needed..

Ammo cans are very secure on there own.. If you need more security you can drill and bolt an eye bolt through the hole in the handle to use a lynch pin or other snap to secure the handle..
If I find another 30cal can, I might put one there too. I looked hard at that location before, just couldn’t conceptualize how to mount it securely. How did you accomplish it? Photo?

SGT13

Equipment
Bx23s, CB05 bucket, GS05 scraper, Shop made ballast, hangers, & anchor pts
Sep 2, 2021
Arizona
Just to add to the collection. I added a 5.56 ammo can (I'm on a BX23S) to the inside of ROPs in existing holes. Turned down some aluminum spacers & bolted straight through. A bit flexible as the smaller cans don't have beads rolled into the side so may add a plate to the inside.

Attachments

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Reactions: 1 user