R4 vs R14

erda

Equipment
LX3310HSDCC
Aug 24, 2014
Alberta, Canada
I’m trying to decide on which tire to get for a new LX3310 cab. I have had R4s on my B2601 for the last 5 years and they mostly have served well.

I’m not particularly concerned about impact on my yard, as I mow with a Grasshopper.

What is the relative “toughness“ and puncture resistance of the two?

Thanks.

B2710

Equipment
LX3310, L45, RTV1100
Dec 13, 2011
SE Tennessee
Well, I just got my LX3310 with R14s. Initially, they felt very bouncy and I thought they were a mistake to put on the tractor. After a few hours of operation, I have discovered air pressure makes a big difference in the performance of the R14s (the dealer only put 10 psig in them saying they looked overfilled with any more air in them) and they definitely have a different feel. I am not sure they grip any better in grass or dirt than what I remember of the R4s on my B2710. If you air them up to the OM pressures (30 psig), they ride better but look like balloons and are very rounded. If I air down to something that looks reasonable (10-14 psig), they are bouncy to a level that feels dangerous even with loaded tires. The R4s always felt rock solid at any pressure... Your decision...

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
If you're getting the tractor to mow with, the R14's will be a lot easier on your turf than Ag tires or R4's. If you're going to be plowing and gardening with it, then you'll be better off with a good ag tire. If you're going to run around on pavement some, then the R4's will probably hold up better with the fatter lugs. I really cannot see me wearing out a set of R14's. I don't plan on doing burn-out competitions or wheelies through the neighborhood, so they'll last me a VERY long time.

Puncture resistance? Hmm, wish I had a picture of something I found while box-blading in my back yard yesterday. It was the neck of a glass gallon jug of some sort, lifting ring still intact, and razor sharp. Not particularly old because it was definitely a screw top jug. There's no way I didn't run over it, but I can't find where it did any damage. I'll take a photo tomorrow. I know exactly where it's laying. The more I scratch around and dig on this lot, the more I'm convinced it was once the county landfill. There's no guessing what I'll dig up next. I've probably picked up at least 100 golf balls, a "you'll shoot your eye out, Kid" Red Rider BB gun, untold murdered and mutilated dolls, unidentifiable toys other than that they have plastic wheels. Rocks the size of footballs, boot heels, tennis shoe soles, you name it. I'm pretty sure we found what was ladies' lingerie, but it was difficult to tell what it might have been. We pick up at least 100 pounds of broken glass each year. Nothing I find here surprises me now. I just wish I could help Rick and Marty Lagina with a find that's related to the Oak Island Mystery. I haven't found a single Top Pocket Bobby Dazzler, though. Just rubbish. I'm sure I'm getting close to the Money Pit, though.

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
If you're getting the tractor to mow with, the R14's will be a lot easier on your turf than Ag tires or R4's. [snip]
Really? I would have guessed the sequence would be: Turf, R4, R14, AG as far as increasing level of lawn damage. But that is just my gut speaking...

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Really? I would have guessed the sequence would be: Turf, R4, R14, AG as far as increasing level of lawn damage. But that is just my gut speaking...
I moved 10 yards of top across a neighbor's yard one bucketful at a time with the FEL, through existing centipede grass, after some pretty wet weather. When I finished, other than two spots that were a little soft (old filled stump holes), and one place where I forgot to drop out 4x4 mode before I started, you couldn't tell where I'd been. He later sodded all the areas I leveled for him, and you can't tell I was ever in his yard now except for it's a lot more level and greening up very nicely with the new sod. I have loaded oversized R14's. The lugs aren't as deep as Ag tires, but they're a little closer with a little turf-tire thing happening in the center of the tread. Each rear wheel weighs nearly 800 pounds. 10 yards of soil at about 800 pounds per trip is a lot of trips and a lot of abuse to the turf on a good day with turf tires. I don't see a single bar-lug mark in his yard now.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I moved 10 yards of top across a neighbor's yard one bucketful at a time with the FEL, through existing centipede grass, after some pretty wet weather. When I finished, other than two spots that were a little soft (old filled stump holes), and one place where I forgot to drop out 4x4 mode before I started, you couldn't tell where I'd been. He later sodded all the areas I leveled for him, and you can't tell I was ever in his yard now except for it's a lot more level and greening up very nicely with the new sod. I have loaded oversized R14's. The lugs aren't as deep as Ag tires, but they're a little closer with a little turf-tire thing happening in the center of the tread. Each rear wheel weighs nearly 800 pounds. 10 yards of soil at about 800 pounds per trip is a lot of trips and a lot of abuse to the turf on a good day with turf tires. I don't see a single bar-lug mark in his yard now.
Kind of missing the point...are you saying that R14 tires performed better than R4 tires would have? Of course oversize R14s would not be fairly compared to standard R4 tires I imagine...

No real interest as I will likely never have these tires on my tractors. Just trying to get an understanding...

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Kind of missing the point...are you saying that R14 tires performed better than R4 tires would have? Of course oversize R14s would not be fairly compared to standard R4 tires I imagine...
Nope, didn't say that at all. Just said the R14's do a great job. In fact, have stated I'm unqualified on R4's or Turfs to make that call. Drove an 8N and a Cub Farmall many miles on Ag's, though. Most of your experience is going to be based on soil type, moisture conditions, as well as transmission type. I'm just saying R14's are a good pairing with the hydrostatic transmission.