Snowblower Gravel adapter

asgard

Equipment
B2301, 60 inch deck, 51inch blower
Oct 22, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I have read over many years about the placing of a PVC pipe over the cutting edge of a plow and in some cases over the edge on a snowblower to stop picking up gravel.
I decided to do the modification but instead of PVC used a thick wall Galv pipe.
The unit had to be able to mount using the existing holes and be no lower than the side slides.
So after 2 tests in mixed conditions none really worthy of blowing I can conclude it works. The level of gravel thrown was almost none even when the substrate was not fully frozen, usually when the stones fly.
It is quick to mount and dismount so as conditions change.
In addition, I was tired of the black soot on the blower so also added an exhaust diverter.
Hope this of interest to anyone in the gravel throwing business.

Attachments

Reactions: 5 users

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Ive done the PVC pipe on a plow in the past and it works great until the pipe shatters due to the cold. Seems like the galvanized pipe is a better alternative.

Reactions: 1 user

BA76

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5400 Tractor, RB3784 Rear Blade, RCF2072 Brush Mower, FDR1672 Finish Mower
Dec 21, 2020
Illinois
That looks like a really good idea. I wonder if would help do the same on a 3-point hitch blade?

asgard

Equipment
Oct 22, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Well, we had about 6 inches of light crystal type snow yesterday on a not so frozen bed, lots of loose stones. Toady I used the blower and it worked better than I had hoped. Virtually no stones were thrown and a very nice bed prepared, my wife thought I was prepping for ski-ing. The surface was even and due to the snow type was left with a nice tire pattern for grip.
This is a worthwhile mod.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
I used my new rear blower for the first time today. I picked up some gravel for the first few passes then went to the garage and lowered the shoes to the second hole and went back out. Didn’t scrape up anymore gravel. Do you find that your shoes don’t float the blower enough?

Justasquid

Equipment
L4240HSTC
Nov 2, 2020
Michigan
I’ve added 2” wide flat steel to the existing shoes to make them wider and float better. Some of the narrow shoes just dig into the gravel and allow the blower to scrape the gravel into the impeller. But I think this idea if the pipe is great. It seams like it will push the gravel down and really compact the surface. I bet it works really well across uneven lawn surfaces too. It also seems like if you have a high spot of gravel, such as vehicle tires driving through wet soft gravel or dirt, it would lift the blower up and compact the ground. It looks great for early season blowing.

asgard

Equipment
Oct 22, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I also made wider skids but sometimes when the base was soft it still dug in especially on turns. I had it in float and that was still an issue on a couple of sections I blow. The pipe is excellent across the grass into the woodpile and even where I have some river rock at the edge it floats over that if you get a bit close.
I think the ones that come with the blower are unable to carry the load adequately unless the ground is brick hard/
It also leaves a very professional finish.
Well worth the time it took to make it. Simple but effective.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Think I'd use black pipe instead. Welding galvanized pipe gives off poisonous fumes.

asgard

Equipment
Oct 22, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Only if you don't grind down the surface coating. Weld outside or with the aid of an extractor there is about 4 inches of weld.

The best way to weld galvanized steel, regardless of welding process, is to remove the zinc coating from the joint. This adds two operations: removing the coating and re-spraying or painting the weld seam after welding to regain corrosion resistance.

Last edited:

SAR Tracker

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, FEL, LX2963 Snowblower, BH77 Backhoe, forks
Nov 17, 2020
Central Oregon
Only if you don't grind down the surface coating. Weld outside or with the aid of an extractor there is about 4 inches of weld.

The best way to weld galvanized steel, regardless of welding process, is to remove the zinc coating from the joint. This adds two operations: removing the coating and re-spraying or painting the weld seam after welding to regain corrosion resistance.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
The only thing I could visualize in my head with a snow blower on a gravel road was the Mayhem commercial where he's driving through the gravel with the riding mower. It's stuck there now, and I can't get it out.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I would like to do this as well. Dumb question, When you set this pipe, what is its relation to the skid shoes? does it fall out above them a little? or below as the lowest point?

I threw my share of gravel and grass today. I do about a mile of gravel driveway, plus a small section of backyard for the dog.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
This is an interesting modification but what type of gravel do you have on your driveway? 3/4 crush is common up here

I've been blowing snow and gravel with my BX25D for the past five winters and I hate the sound of gravel running through the blower! :mad: My solution these days is to only use the BX on my asphalt driveway and parking areas, approx. 9,000 sq.ft that I had done about 2 years ago, and use the new MX with a front snow blade on the 200 yard "common" gravel driveway that I share with a neighbor. If I hadn't bought the MX I'd probably be trying this mod.

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
Nice mods. I also have a blower for the gravel drive and rear blade.......so far I have been good running the shoes up as high as they go and then cleaning the last inch or so with the RB behind me. I found the magic number to be running the 3pt at 4-6 depending on angle of the blade to keep from pulling too much dirt and gravel with me.

When the driveway was softer (ie not frozen) I rand the rear blade rotated 180 degrees ) in > direction to avoid being too aggressive.

I also added an exhaust diverter for the same reason. Need to power wash the blower. Plus it would heat up that side of the blower and snow would stick and freeze pretty good there.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
My solution is a hydraulic top link. I tilt the blower back to leave a skim coat of snow at the beginning of the season. After things ice up I can tilt forward and scrape down to the ice.

Reactions: 1 users

gmbc

Equipment
B2650HSDC ,bucket, Forks, Front Snow blower, MMM, Tiller, Land Rake
Mar 11, 2016
Dundurn, Saskatchewan, Canada
I have read over many years about the placing of a PVC pipe over the cutting edge of a plow and in some cases over the edge on a snowblower to stop picking up gravel.
I decided to do the modification but instead of PVC used a thick wall Galv pipe.
The unit had to be able to mount using the existing holes and be no lower than the side slides.
So after 2 tests in mixed conditions none really worthy of blowing I can conclude it works. The level of gravel thrown was almost none even when the substrate was not fully frozen, usually when the stones fly.
It is quick to mount and dismount so as conditions change.
In addition, I was tired of the black soot on the blower so also added an exhaust diverter.
Hope this of interest to anyone in the gravel throwing business.

gmbc

Equipment
B2650HSDC ,bucket, Forks, Front Snow blower, MMM, Tiller, Land Rake
Mar 11, 2016
Dundurn, Saskatchewan, Canada
Have added exh diverted also. Raised shoes then lowered once base of snow is there. Will try this pipe addition as my yard is not level. 👍

Cstock5468

Equipment
L3560 with loader, BH92, LP post hole auger, LP box scraper, Front PTO snow blow
Apr 16, 2020
Plainfield, NH
I’ve added 2” wide flat steel to the existing shoes to make them wider and float better. Some of the narrow shoes just dig into the gravel and allow the blower to scrape the gravel into the impeller. But I think this idea if the pipe is great. It seams like it will push the gravel down and really compact the surface. I bet it works really well across uneven lawn surfaces too. It also seems like if you have a high spot of gravel, such as vehicle tires driving through wet soft gravel or dirt, it would lift the blower up and compact the ground. It looks great for early season blowing.
Hello justasquid, thanks for your post. I have same issue with my skid shoes digging into the hard pack, particularly early in the season. Can you describe what you did for adding the wider steel to the shoes? I was thinking the same. The galv pipe add looks great and seems to essentially acta as an extension across the shoes laterally, preventing the shoes from sinking in and the auger box picking up the stones. Any help and input appreciated.

Justasquid

Equipment
L4240HSTC
Nov 2, 2020
Michigan
Hello justasquid, thanks for your post. I have same issue with my skid shoes digging into the hard pack, particularly early in the season. Can you describe what you did for adding the wider steel to the shoes? I was thinking the same. The galv pipe add looks great and seems to essentially acta as an extension across the shoes laterally, preventing the shoes from sinking in and the auger box picking up the stones. Any help and input appreciated.
I did this on a previous blower I had so I don’t have any pictures. But basically, I took 1/4” thick x 2” wide mild steel. Cut it to length and matched the profile of the existing shoes. I bent it along the same lines and butted it against the outside edge of the existing shoe. I did it to the outside edge so the shoes could still pulled up all the way for later in the season. I also added a few gussets to add strength to the extended shoe. I beveled both ends of the new shoe before welding. I tacked it all together and then fully welded it. The gussets really helped keep everything flat and mimized the warping From welding as well as keeping the new shoe from bending upward.

Reactions: 1 users