Tractor shopping in Georgia

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
If you don’t need all the fancy features of the B series (mid mount mower capability, cruise control, etc) check out an L series. The L2501 is a much “bigger” tractor when compared to the B series. Just compare the weights of the two. If you can look at them both in person, check out the differences in the rear ends. The L2501 just looks like a beefier machine.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
It***8217;s happening!......................Wife thinks the B is too small. Wants me to get an L4701.... I told her it was too much.
Listen to your wife. You won't want to hear "Honey, I told you so" when you find the tractor in need of more HP or FEL capacity.

Last edited:

Godaddy

Equipment
m7060
Feb 5, 2020
usa
Get what you want the 1st time! One size up from what you think you want! The tractor will get smaller the longer you own it. And then you will have to hear "I told you to get the bigger tractor honey"! LOL! Good luck!

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
Go big .. I wanted BX1880 wife said too small. She approved the P.O. on B2601 with backhoe.

Mistake I may have made was not buying the backhoe !!!!

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Got me second guessing myself now. I’m not in love with the L, with the bare bones of it, the trans hump and the tie rods that I know I will damage somehow. The 4701 solves two of those problems, but cost is up there. I’m a firm believer in buy once, cry once. But man, $33k is hard to stomach for tractor only.

I think I will wait a month for the LX to hit the lot and go look at them.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Got me second guessing myself now. I’m not in love with the L, with the bare bones of it, the trans hump and the tie rods that I know I will damage somehow. The 4701 solves two of those problems, but cost is up there. I’m a firm believer in buy once, cry once. But man, $33k is hard to stomach for tractor only.

I think I will wait a month for the LX to hit the lot and go look at them.
BEFORE you sign on the dotted line is the best time to second guess or sort things out. I had an L3200 that had the trans hump. It took a little getting used to but it never entirely stopped bothering me. Current tractor floor is flat. In general the L3200 was a good sturdy tractor. Had it from new until this past January and sold it then with around 525 hours on the meter.

https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44179&highlight=l3200

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I'd think hard about the L - probably the L2501.

Logic chain I'm using:

The B2650 (and the LX that's basically an identical machine with a new name) are great tractors. But they have a specific purpose - they are for:
  • You need a mid mount mower or a snow blower (i.e. need a mid PTO)
  • Need a lighter machine that you can put on a trailer
  • Are doing work close to the house - you want less weight on the lawn
  • Want some more premium features v's getting lots of metal for your money

I don't really hear any of those as being requirements for you.

Conversely, the L is a machine if you want:
  • Lift bigger implements
  • More durable, more farm type tasks
  • More traction
  • Run a bigger bush hog
  • Pull a wider land plane or box blade

They are very similar in price, but the L is just a bit bigger and more solid. It'll bash through bush bigger, it'll pull a box blade better, it'll run a bush hog better. Those are all tasks I hear you saying you want to do, particularly if you're going to end up taking over duties in bush hogging the in laws place. Having said that, if they keep the Ford, I'd probably keep using that for bush hogging, that's a task that rewards size and presumably they already have the bush hog on the machine.

To be honest you can't go wrong with either, they're both excellent machines. But I do feel that with the B you're paying for that mid-PTO, and you have no use for a mid-PTO.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I'd think hard about the L - probably the L2501.

Logic chain I'm using:

The B2650 (and the LX that's basically an identical machine with a new name) are great tractors. But they have a specific purpose - they are for:
  • You need a mid mount mower or a snow blower (i.e. need a mid PTO)
  • Need a lighter machine that you can put on a trailer
  • Are doing work close to the house - you want less weight on the lawn
  • Want some more premium features v's getting lots of metal for your money

I don't really hear any of those as being requirements for you.

Conversely, the L is a machine if you want:
  • Lift bigger implements
  • More durable, more farm type tasks
  • More traction
  • Run a bigger bush hog
  • Pull a wider land plane or box blade

They are very similar in price, but the L is just a bit bigger and more solid. It'll bash through bush bigger, it'll pull a box blade better, it'll run a bush hog better. Those are all tasks I hear you saying you want to do, particularly if you're going to end up taking over duties in bush hogging the in laws place. Having said that, if they keep the Ford, I'd probably keep using that for bush hogging, that's a task that rewards size and presumably they already have the bush hog on the machine.

To be honest you can't go wrong with either, they're both excellent machines. But I do feel that with the B you're paying for that mid-PTO, and you have no use for a mid-PTO.

Damn your logic, once again. I do not, nor will ever need a mid PTO. Saying that, I like the large B cockpit over the L.... I know, dumb. Have thought about the L4701 for the flat floor and hydro steering. Been looking at the L3560 also.

After dads passing in January, got a bit extra money after selling a few things. Gonna buy once, cry once. Just hard to spend $30k on a tractor. When I could be into the B2650 or either LX with implements for that.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I went back and read your original posting. From what I gathered you're not needing to do heavy ground work (plowing, sub soiling, heavy disc work, etc). You are needing good FEL capacity (clearing brush with a toothed bucket, grapple use, etc) and working in the wooded part.
The way I see it, the biggest difference between the big B and the little L (26hp for both) besides the luxury items and the mid PTO, is that the L2501 is much heavier/beefier. Much better for ground engagement where weight is a must. The b2650 is lighter and has better ground clearance and a tighter turn radius (better for maneuvering in the woods). They both have essentially the same FEL capacity (actually the B rated at just a few pounds more than the L but it's negligible either way). PTO is rated about the same for both as well, so if you are needing more (bigger bush hog), then you need bigger than either of them.
I'd suggest test drive both, and try to decide if you plan on working below the ground or at ground level.

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
I feel like the L4701 is a TON of tractor. People buying an L4701 know they need it based on the significant X, Y, or Z tasks they need to do.

Honestly, I'd stick with the L2501 if it were me. It seems like a great value for a tractor. It'll save you roughly $10,000 upfront compared to an L4701 which could get you a lot of attachments.

One thing I found helpful was watching YouTube videos of folks with their tractors. Seeing what they can actually lift and do is way more helpful than reading specification sheets.

Talk with friends or family who actually know you and your land and what you want to do 90% of the time with your tractor. You might find good advice there on what size tractor to go with.

Another thing that can be helpful is to identify specifically what task the 4701 (or other tractor) does that the L2501 cannot. Then determine if it's worth the $X price difference to you.

Lastly, re-reading your first post, you mention that you have 2 acres and MIGHT get 7 more. Unless you're 100% positive it's happening, I'd recommend buying a tractor that realistically fits what you have now. Buying a tractor that fits 10 acres because you might eventually get 10 acres some day doesn't seem like a good idea to me (but to each their own :) ). Get the tractor that fits your needs in the more near term future (5-10 years). If 15 years from now you get more land and realize your current tractor is too small, go out and upgrade your tractor.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

tjstractor

Dec 17, 2019
Great White North
I didn't go through all these posts but what about the new LX2610SU. Same cockpit you said you like as the LX (B50) but save some money without the mid PTO which you said you didn't need. You go down a grade and seat and loose the tilt steering but it has larger diameter tires though so a little more clearance.

Just another option to add in the mix.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I am still torn on the 2 acres too. If you're managing the 7 acres now, then the L is a better buy. If you're only doing 2 acres....the B2650 is a bit big, feels like B2601 territory to me. I know, that's unhelpful. Now I'm flip flopping as much as you.

I do think the bigger Ls are too much. That's a lot of tractor for 2 acres. At least with the L2501 you can say "same price as the B2650, a bit more tractor". The larger Ls are just a lot of tractor, and I agree that you need a reason for that much tractor.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I do not like the L01’s. Basic, janky tie rods and just can’t get comfortable on one. Haven’t seen the rear remote mounts, but aren’t they on the rops? And the hump....

Talked with the wife today, she is thinking bigger than needed. I was sorta set on the L3301 when I first started looking, before I went and seen all the above problems. Liked the B2650 after that. But being a man, and wanting all the HP I can afford, I’m leaning towards the L3560 rops. Will have all the FEL capacity I could ever need as well as PTO. I mean it’s only $30k, right?

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
Remember - don't worry about the HP - unless you are aware of specific high horsepower implements you need to run.

Consider the physical size of the tractor for the land you are working. It's possible to buy too big of tractor IMO. It's also possible to buy a tractor bigger than you'll ever need and waste money that could have been spent on more implements (useful).

I do agree the L01s are definitely economy minded.

Maybe consider the B2650 LX2610, or LX2610SU (mentioned above)? With either of those you could come in around 20k leaving a lot of wiggle room to get the needed implements to make your machine useful (brush cutter, pallet forks, grapple, etc etc).

Price out implements - stuff isn't cheap and you can't always find things used for cheap.

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I'm not great at US geography, but I think Georgia generally means no snow, ....
HA! You’ve never been stuck in Atlanta for a week while Bubba’s are skiing around the Loop pulled by PickUp Trucks!

No snow in Georgia.... LOLOLOLOOLOL

Ok... I’ve calmed down now...Let me catch my breath for a moment...

When it comes to engines, anchors, bilge-pumps and tractors.... the bigger the better, IMO.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Went to a different dealer today. They have a 4701 and 6’ cutter in their rental fleet. Gonna call Monday and rent it for a day or weekend, with a discounted rate, do a few things and see how I like it. Salesman said I would know within the hour or so of using it if it was too big or just right.

Standing beside it, it wasn’t much bigger than the Ford 601, minus FEL of course.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Then this pops up... about an hour or so away.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
After 12 Kubota's (I kept getting bigger and bigger), I learned that always buy larger than you think you need because you will need it at some point.