Washing Engines (Rub A Dub Dub Kubota in a Tub)

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
This question involves washing engines, especially prior to and / or as part of pulling maintenance.

Service Dept Vic in a recent thread said he routinely uses a power washer.

A power washer?

Although not trying to 'peel paint' what about wiring, hoses, sensors, alternators, starters, control cables, other somewhat important odds-n-ends?

Even being careful I can see a lot of high-velocity overspray getting into a lot of places that might cause problems.

I'm interested in hearing more detail from anyone that makes a habit of washing their engine.

Along the same line, how about degreasing as part of any wash cycle with or without a pressure washer?

All information and personal experiences appreciated.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
I use a clean water pressure washer after I spray it with Kano Labs Floway (cleaner/degreaser) in a hand pump spayer and let it soak for a little while. I let it sit and dry well before starting it up and have not had any problems. I avoid getting carried away with highpressure spray into some of the more vulnerable areas, ignition, air intake, etc.
I don't have any financial interest in Kano Labs but I like thier products especially like Kroil penetrating oil for rusty frozen parts on anything. I used a case of it while restoring a 1927 model T Ford.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
I've found that the engine shut-off solenoid is very water sensitive for some reason. On my third one.

Just cover it with aluminum foil or a heavy plastic bag and blast away at everything else.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I'd say just make sure you use one of the wider tips on the power washer so you dont blast away paint and stickers like Vic had mentioned. Usually most power washer's come with 4 or 5 different tips that ass squirt out different spray patters.

You have a little { v } shaped one, a larger { V } shaped one and then a pin point size { . } I'd say use the larger V

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Thanks, gentlemen.

I appreciate your taking time to offer insights and advice.

Looks like this weekend will be a bit 'green' and 'wet'.

Here's hoping it'll (from the days of points) crank again.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I'd say just make sure you use one of the wider tips on the power washer so you dont blast away paint and stickers like Vic had mentioned. Usually most power washer's come with 4 or 5 different tips that ass squirt out different spray patters.

You have a little { v } shaped one, a larger { V } shaped one and then a pin point size { . } I'd say use the larger V
Good answer, Eric. That's what I do- I use a tip that disperses the spray wider, reducing the force. I also don't spray right on top of it- I keep enough distance to remove the grime, but not force water into places it shouldn't go. I haven't had any issues with my tractor, or my dads NH 3910. A pressure washer is an AMAZING tool when used properly, and a tool of destruction when used improperly....

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
My washer has a head that has all the different tips in one. It starts out at 2000psi then 2500 and the last is 3000. The only time I use the 3000 is on very hard to wash grease or stain. It seems to work good on cleaning tires but I trying to just get it close enough to get the dirt off. I think no matter what the pressure you are working with a person should start out with some clearance and work your way in as needed.

Stubbyie, During hay season my tractors get washed every day from top to bottom including the engine. I always try to avoid direct spray to the alt, a/c and starter. Not to say they don't get washed but just try not to hit these areas with the high pressure up real close. Really it's not just hay season, pretty much any time they are going to be working at a road side field they will start out shiny and clean. My L 3000 was the first brand new tractor that I had ever bought. I made it a point to keep it washed and waxed so it would stay looking new as long as possible. Now in it's 12th season it still looks about as good as a new one. So I say wash away, just keep the critical areas in your mind as you spray and I don't think you will have any trouble.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
My Grand L only gets washed a couple times a year (my bad) but my pressure washer has an adjustable twist tip from pinpoint to fan spray and I wash down the external stuff more frequently. the pre-soak helps a lot. My cousin has a cat I rear tiller but no Cat I tractor so I loaned him mine in trade for my use of his tiller and he washed and waxed it real nice before he returned it. I offered to loan him my truck too but he didn't take.