Transmission oil question

skrap1

Dec 7, 2013
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Hello orangetractortalks and thanks for a great site.
I bought a L175 a few weeks ago. I've done (I think) the standard maintenance on it, air filter, engine oil and filter, fuel filter and lines, grease, etc. Been saving the transmission for last. I pulled the level check plug and the trans lube looks new, like it just came out of the bottle. But it's about 2 inches low. I've read about the preferred lube, 80w gear oil or UDT. It looks like the lube has been changed recently but I don't know which oil was used. The guy I bought it from says he didn't do anything to the trans so I'm wondering if there is a way to tell what oil is in it. I have heard the UDT is thinner than the 80w and this oil looks close to 80w in viscosity but is there a way to tell for sure? And what if I mix 80w with UDT? Or should I just drain the oil and put in new 80w? Thanks for any input.

jimsdeere1010

Equipment
L4600 4x4 FEL, WD 45, WD 40 Allis Chalmers
Nov 11, 2013
Wayland, Ia
Welcome to the site!
I would go straight to the Kubota dealer and just pick up the right oil. Even if it's a little more expensive at least you know for sure you have the right oil sometimes cheaper doesn't pay.

freewheel3

Equipment
MX5000DT LA852, BX1800D, B6000DT, B6200HSTD, B7100HSTD, L185, T1700HX, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
There is no mistaking the smell of gear oil. Also the viscosity of gear oil is a lot thicker than UDT. If you are still unsure of what is in your trans, or don't know the maintenance history, I'd suggest draining it, cleaning the suction screen and refilling with 80W. Start fresh. It will pay you back many times over.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ok I'm going to be the opposite of everyone else!

Drain it, change filter / clean suction screen, and replace with UDT, UDT2, Or Super UDT.;)

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
I'm not sure about the L175 but the L235 uses gear oil (80-140 ) in the front differential but not in the trans. The trans oil is also the hydralic oil for the 3ph and the fel if it has one. The trans, rear diff, 3ph and fel all use the same fluid and it's all together, same sump area. Kubota udt or tractor hydralic oil at tractor supply.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
My old L245 used 80W in the trans and didn't have a suction screen.

If yours doesn't have a loader, run 80w, that is likely what's in it. Like said give it the sniff test. If it does have a loader and the loader uses the trans oil, change it out to SUTD. Some had a separate oil tank for the loader.

Most recommendations are geared towards newer Kubotas, most of these older ones are a lot different.

kubotaguy

Dec 6, 2013
illinois
super udt2 it's a little bit more pricey... but you won't ever regret using it. i have read too many horror stories when guys tried to save a few bucks and stopped using super udt2 and then switch back to solve problems. HST transmission get hard use. the shear strength characteristics of super udt2 are superior

skrap1

Dec 7, 2013
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Thanks for the info. I have decided to drain and refill and clean the suction screen (when I find it). Haven't decided what oil I will use yet. I don't have a front end loader, just a finish mower behind it.

freewheel3

Equipment
MX5000DT LA852, BX1800D, B6000DT, B6200HSTD, B7100HSTD, L185, T1700HX, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
super udt2 it's a little bit more pricey... but you won't ever regret using it. i have read too many horror stories when guys tried to save a few bucks and stopped using super udt2 and then switch back to solve problems. HST transmission get hard use. the shear strength characteristics of super udt2 are superior
L175s are gear trans, not HST.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
as to where the screen is...

On the L185 which is very similar to the L175 it is near your left heel when you are sitting on the tractor. You can see it in the second picture in the first post of this thread (it is painted red and was not the subject of the picture)
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9299&highlight=drain+plug

It is near the bottom on the vertical wall of the transmission case, hidden behind a cover that looks like a bump with two bolts holding it down. There is an o-ring behind the cover, a spring between the cover and screen holds the screen in place. Take care when taking it apart or have spare parts available.

mike paulson

Jan 11, 2012
ulster, NY
Years ago I used to poo the "you gotta use this or you gotta use that" when it came to oils, coolant etc. But after being a mechanic for close to 30 years now and being educated on this I realized that there are people a lot smarter than me creating these new engines, and gear boxes made with materials we never would have thought of using 30 years ago. So I say use the Kubota gear oil and spend a few more bucks, after all how often do you change it anyway?

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I agree to the use UDT2 if the tractor has HST and or FEL.

But the is a very old gear drive with no loader. 80w gear oil is what I'd put in it.