Total Weight?

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
You aint hauling much of anything unless you've had wind move you across the highway. Something such as a cab tractor with a tall center of graivty can and will cause wind resistance and can cause a tow vehical to sway back and forth going down the road. I've been trucking for 10 years and hauled all kinds of freight and its always the tall loads that gave me the most hissyfit. And it doesnt have to be on a windy day either.

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
ethomas, I'm also puzzled at this point. Your trailer looks good and sturdy to me and at 50 psi in the tires, I don't see why you'd be having problems with your trailer swaying as you go down the road. I agree with checking the wheel bearings and suspension. Be sure to look at the bushings inside the ends of the springs where they bolt into the frame shackles and the equalizer. They should be good and solid and not move when you shake the axle (you'll have to jack up the trailer with the jack under the frame). How does the trailer pull empty? Or does it only act up when you are pulling your tractor? Does it act up if you are hauling a different tractor, say by itself? Have you tried pulling it with another truck? Maybe a Chevy or Dodge? I've pulled lots of trailers down the road and only had them act up when I had too much weight on the ass end and not enough on the tongue. Good Luck!

gktilton

Equipment
79 B7100 w/ FEL, Deere 261 Finish Mwr, Woods M4 Bush Hg, Potato Plow, Cultivator
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
I would question not only if the rims are right for the trailer, but are the tire the right tires for a trailer at all. Last trailer I bought had some all season radials on it. They looked good but it would sway back and forth on the tire, literally moving side to side. Got trailer tires with correct weight rating for trailer and it towed great. For poorly towing trailers I check tires first, then make sure its not heavy on the tail end, then will add a sway control bar on the front of the hitch, can help a lot.

Ljohnson778

Equipment
M6040
Oct 12, 2011
Burlington Flats, NY
Your tongue weight should be about 10% of your trailer weight(trailer and tractor). If your truck sags in the back end, get a weight distributing hitch or a bigger truck. Proper tongue weight will likely fix your problem, unless something goofy is going on, like broken belts in your tires.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Does any one know the total weight of my L3240 4x4 with L514 and bh 75?
I know we are compairing different models of stuff but here we go. My L3000 is listed to be about 800 Lbs less than your 3240. That being said, my 3000 with LA 450 S loader and 4672 BH weighs 5000 lbs. I weighed it on state certified scales. I don't see how your loader would weigh any less and not sure about the BH but your tractor has to be heavier. Just guessing but I would say you are 5500 or above.

Your trailer is rated at 7000# and that includes the weight of the trailer. My old 16' weighed 2200 lbs which left a payload of 4800 lbs. I'm not trying to argue with anyone but you are overloading your trailer just like I was. Get one with 5000# axles or better. You will be happy you did, I was. Go bigger than you need if you can. When I bought my last trailer I didn't need one as long or as heavy as I got. Now I have a 6700# trackhoe and my trailer handles it just fine.

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
Check for a bent axle. They will drive you crazy. That one tire is worn on one side only and that is strange for rigid axle. Check the distance between axles left side and right side and make sure they are parallel, and perpendicular to the tongue. If the axles are parallel and the wheels plumb it should track true.

ethomas

Equipment
L3240 with la 514 and BH 75
Jan 1, 2012
New Albany MS USA
tractor weight 5600
trailer 2020
so i could only haul 4980 with 2 3500 axles about 620 over

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I dont see 620 pounds being that big of a deal. This is why I'm thinking a weight distrubition hitch would be helpful.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Have you ever watched the wheels when you are turning. I bet if you haven't it will make you think. When I had my tractor on my old trailer and made a slow turn you could watch the tires lean in different directions while the axles flexed.

I have a buddy that hauls a 6K trackhoe on a 7000# trailer. After about a year his frame broke behind the axles. It's not just the axles to worry about. The trailer is a package deal. The load rating applies to the whole trailer, not just the axles.