Thread type for Part number 7J417-71170

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Your link doesn't go anywhere but Kubota's home page and you can't link to individual Kubota pages. ;)
It helps when your referencing parts that you tell what they are used on, that part is used on a ton of loaders, is that what your needing it for?

I can't tell you what the adapter thread is, it's probably something like JIC to BSPT, but without one in front of me can't tell.

Why do you need to know?

KubotaL185DT

Equipment
L185 4x4, L245H, M5140HD, Case 580B Hoe, JD350 Dozer, JD LX178,
May 6, 2010
Northern Calif
Your link doesn't go anywhere but Kubota's home page and you can't link to individual Kubota pages. ;)
It helps when your referencing parts that you tell what they are used on, that part is used on a ton of loaders, is that what your needing it for?

I can't tell you what the adapter thread is, it's probably something like JIC to BSPT, but without one in front of me can't tell.

Why do you need to know?
Tractor is an M5140 HD no cab shuttle shift with a LA 1153 loader with 3rd function valve

I want to replace the flat face couplers (ISO 16028) as I installed a grapple with 2 new Holmbury flat face couplers (ISO 16028) and both connections are leaking drip every few seconds. The shop I bought the holmburg couplers from state the couplers are tested and should not leak. So I am figuring to change the couplers on the tractor loader LA 1153 side to see if that solves the drip problem. I know all the couplers are (ISO 16028) and should be compatible with each other. Only other thing I can do is remove the new Holmbury coupling and have them tested. But being both are leaking I feel the ones that came with tractor may be bad. I bought tractor with 600 hours on it and do note believe the couplers were ever used ( but I can not prove it) I am thinking perhaps seals are bad from sitting outdoors in hot sun for aprox 6 years ? I have to start somewhere I need to know what couplings to order the thread on that part (Part number 7J417-71170) look like 1/2 inch NPT but from your reply Sounds like you are saying No NPT fittings used on Kubota, is that correct? if so then I would need couplers with BSPT thread to connect to existing (Part number 7J417-71170) fitting. Hope I am making sence its been a long day and I am beat. Thank you for helping Please respond and I will try to add any info you may require Thanks again.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It is possible that they are NPT, I'm not 100% sure on newer loaders.
First remove the fitting and make sure it doesn't take an O-ring to seal or a flare, if it doesn't and the treads appear to taper, get a 1/2 NPT fitting and see if it will thread on at least 3 threads without binding, if it does not, usually about 1 1/2 threads it will start to bind, then it's BSPT.
When you take off the fitting if you would take a quick picture of it and post it, I might be able to give you a better answer. ;)

KubotaL185DT

Equipment
May 6, 2010
Northern Calif
It is possible that they are NPT, I'm not 100% sure on newer loaders.
First remove the fitting and make sure it doesn't take an O-ring to seal or a flare, if it doesn't and the treads appear to taper, get a 1/2 NPT fitting and see if it will thread on at least 3 threads without binding, if it does not, usually about 1 1/2 threads it will start to bind, then it's BSPT.
When you take off the fitting if you would take a quick picture of it and post it, I might be able to give you a better answer. ;)
Thanks this is what I know about BSPT, BSPT Connections
BSPT (British Standard Pipe Thread) is similar to NPT except for one important difference. The angle across the flanks of threads (if you sliced the fitting in half long-ways and measured the angle from root to crest to root) is 55 degrees instead of 60 degrees as it is for NPT. Thus an NPT male will fit into a BSPT fitting or vice versa but they will not seal. I hate it leaking and not only am I placing oil on my soil its $6.50 /qt.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yep you got it right, that's why if you try and dry fit a NPT fitting on it and it stalls in a short time it's a BSPT fitting, and if it free threads it's a NPT fitting. ;)

Kubota used to use only BSPT and BSPP fittings, but not so much anymore, especially when it's on the loader. :)

KubotaL185DT

Equipment
May 6, 2010
Northern Calif
Yep you got it right, that's why if you try and dry fit a NPT fitting on it and it stalls in a short time it's a BSPT fitting, and if it free threads it's a NPT fitting. ;)

Kubota used to use only BSPT and BSPP fittings, but not so much anymore, especially when it's on the loader. :)
I emailed my dealership parts This is what I get back

"Kubota considers all such information proprietary and will not disclose
captive part dimensions."

Will post pictures as soon as I pull it apart, Right now cutting grass before it rains