Sweet welds

cody

Equipment
Zb5000 kubota
May 17, 2010
Prince George BC Canada
Okay so I Knew that this fix wouldn’t go smooth but now what??? I have a B5000 that someone tried to repair the #1 input shaft for the gear box by welding the shaft together without taking the tractor apart. And now pukes oil out because of the damage done to the seal. Ok so just replace the shaft, is what I thought and now doing BUT the catch is that the welds on this are horrendous!!! And are to massive to slide through the opening for the shaft to fit through. And I can’t get the cover plate off to get at the bits I need to get at. So any ideas on the best way to get this abomination cleaned up so this plate will come off for the new shaft??:confused:

Attachments

Last edited:

cody

Equipment
Zb5000 kubota
May 17, 2010
Prince George BC Canada
Sure check the first post i put some pictures in. The first picture show the welds also hold the coupling to the shaft, not a big deal with a cutting blade on the angle grinder should take care of that. i am just unsure if i should try to grind the weld down on the shaft. I dont want to damage the cover plate as well.

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Cody, sorry about that, my pc is slow on the uptake. I agree with phildac. Good Luck!

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
:mad:Cody do not call whoever welded that mess a welder. Your best bet is a angle grinder. Do not put a cutting torch to that mess and cause you a lot more problems. Use a angle grinder with a cutting rock cut for a minute and let cool dont hurry this and overheat what damage has already been done. A welder could have saved that and not caused that mess in first place. Sorry for your problem. I welded since early 70s and that picture makes me sick. Ill hush sorry for your problem let us know what happens.handy

cody

Equipment
Zb5000 kubota
May 17, 2010
Prince George BC Canada
The weld is the big globbing mess in the center. trust me it hard to miss. I was hoping that someone had a better idea than the angle grinder or torch. I have a feeling that I may have to order the cover after I use the angle grinder. Will a small hand band saw cut through one of these shafts?

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
A bandsaw is not hard enough as far as the blade goes you would need carbide or cobalt blade. If you have access to a air die grinder you can cut it with that . Problem will be getting it in the area if you can get a sawzall to it with a hardened blade that would work.The weld and shaft both are very hard materials. Go slow whatever you do. Wear safety glasses or goggles.I have ran into this before it is one of those things you will learn as you go. If you can get a air die grinder it will cut it. Any way you go is not going to be easy but a learning experience. Good luck handy

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
Will the weld is the dingle burrs you see. That big glob of sh-- that looks like marbles rolling off.handy

cody

Equipment
Zb5000 kubota
May 17, 2010
Prince George BC Canada
Is there a trick to getting this shaft off with the cover plate? The shaft couples to the gearbox behind this cover. I don’t want to cause more damage than is necessary.

Will In Tx

Equipment
L3400 HST/FEL, Box Blade, RTV 900 Camo, ZD323 Zreo Turn Pro Mower + More
Mar 21, 2010
Rosharon, TX. USA
This is what I would do.
1. cut that thing off with a sawzall (sp) with a hell of a blade! Buy like 8 blades.
2. grind the hell out of the shaft so you can take the cover off.
3. cover off now you can get the shaft.
4. cut both the shafts with a band saw, a real one, like as in machine shop. One cut and no problems.
5. find a harden steel rod the SAME size as the old shaft or let some one mill it down.
6. reweld or remake new shaft.

You will need to measure what the length of the shaft is so there is no mistake when mating this back up.

Looks like a FUBAR to me Sir!

My 2 cents worth, and yes the photos are very better!

Oh and are you sure you want to use those bolts on there? Look abit worn????

Last edited:

cody

Equipment
Zb5000 kubota
May 17, 2010
Prince George BC Canada
I'm not worried about the shaft, I have a new one on the way. It's the cover plate and anything behind it that I don't want screw up any worse than I have to.

Sam427

Equipment
L3410 GST, FEL, Bush Hog, Box Scrape, Spreader
Nov 6, 2009
Snellville, Ga. USA
That looks like pretty much junk to me. You might get in there with an abrasive cutoff wheel and lop the thing off. Probably going to end up in a machine shop trying to save the housing. Can you get the parts to fix it?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I worked with a guy that welded like that. He called it gorilla weld, Ugly but tuff.

It looks like a bunch of chewed bubble gum to me.

Do you have access to a plasma cutter? That would make quick work of this problem and really wouldn't create to much unwanted heat.

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
It looks like a bad case of hemeroids to me and its sure going to be a pain in the ar$e for you to get fixed.:) Any damage caused by heat has probably been done so grinding/cutting the shaft wont do any more. The main difficulty in getting the casing off could be cleaning up the stub of whats left of the shaft so the bearring inside the casing can slid over it but some work with a dremmel or small die grinder should sort it out.
Dave