Sub Soiler

BotaLoda

Equipment
BX2370, Loader w/tooth bar, MMM, sub soiler, 5' rake, rear ballast box, forks.
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
I had ordered a sub soiler in with the deal when buying the BX2370 and it came in today. Holy moly! I think it's for a much larger tractor, but I had to try it. my first try it went down about 10" and pulled out roots like a hot knife through butter! But it doesn't go deeper due to the wrong angles. I'm not sure if I drill a different hole in the center part that goes up and left in the picture, so it pivots down lower, and/or drill the top of the same part to lower the center 3 point hitch thing (you can tell me the right name of that), so that part goes lower. Or, that center point of the hitch, can I get a much shorter one of them?
This thing is heavy! The center main part of it I believe is 1" thick steel! Although it's too big (I think), I'd like to make it work. Even if I have to install a more narrow cutting blade in order to pull it when it's deeper, I'd do that. I'm just really impressed with how it tore through roots, it's almost doing what I got it for.

Attachments

DocHolladay

Equipment
MX5200, FEL
Oct 19, 2015
Murfreesboro, TN
I would probably fabricate a shorter top link arms for the subsoiler or cut the ones on it down. That way you can have some room to adjust the top link on the tractor.

BotaLoda

Equipment
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
I would probably fabricate a shorter top link arms for the subsoiler or cut the ones on it down. That way you can have some room to adjust the top link on the tractor.
Good idea, probably easier to make a new link than modify the original. Can you tell by the picture, is it indeed way too big for this tractor? Two guys got it into my girlfriends trunk and it wasn't easy getting it out by myself without hurting the car. I had no idea how big and heavy it was or I wouldn't have asked her to pick it up on her way home. (it's about a 110 mile round trip for me and she works close by)
http://ab-eagleline.com/download/i/mark_dl/u/2005497/11938329/Subsoiler.jpg

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
Does yours have a shear bolt in the top link bracket? From the picture you linked it looks like maybe there's supposed to be something that holds that bracket more vertical. The way it's setup is definitely not right. I would modify the top link bracket to look something like this:

Attachments

Bxmike

Equipment
Bx2670
Feb 11, 2017
ny
What make is this subsoiler . I have been looking for something like this. The ones I have found local are to light my brother in law broke his 2nd time he used it.

BotaLoda

Equipment
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
Does yours have a shear bolt in the top link bracket? From the picture you linked it looks like maybe there's supposed to be something that holds that bracket more vertical. The way it's setup is definitely not right. I would modify the top link bracket to look something like this:
Yes it has a shear bolt you can see in this first picture, it also pivots on that bolt. I moved things around and plan to drill two new holes for the shear bolt approximately as on the pic. Question, note the picture with it swung back AND up all the way how it is hitting the ground. Also how it sits if I get it swung forward. Does that look like any problems? If so I think I will try to trade this for a smaller one and some cash, because raising it upward will take a few large holes through the 1" thick shank. I don't want to ruin it, so I'll try just those holes as marked (1 3/8" hole in each side of the 1/2" thick part in the picture.
The picture of the bolt head is the shear pin, do those numbers tell you anything? Like a certain grade of bolt?

The brand again is A&B Eagle, in a previous post is a link to this sub soiler.

Attachments

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I think maybe you call wo you got it from and explain whats going on,, I aint sure but I dont think thats for a subcompact

BotaLoda

Equipment
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
I moved the bar that connects to the center link downward about 2 3/4" and my estimate is that it went 16" down. Would one made for a subcompact go that deep? It didn't seem to strain the tractor much at all. If it doesn't rain I may try it tomorrow and measure.

The only thing that is difficult with it is getting it from under the tractor to a position that it will catch and grab, and even that wasn't too bad this try.

I got it for two things. One, to pull out SMALL tree stumps and cut roots, and two, to loosen the soil if I need to dig with the bucket since I don't have a backhoe. I'm not sure if I'll do any more tweaking or not. I may possibly add a handle to allow me to swing it out from under the tractor to where the tip grabs, while I'm up on the tractor.

Last edited:

Steve67

Equipment
B2601-fel, 60"mmm, 5' rear blade, balast box
Jan 20, 2017
St. Louis, mo.
I would get a piranha tooth bar for your front bucket, it will turn your bx into a digging machine!!

BotaLoda

Equipment
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
I would get a piranha tooth bar for your front bucket, it will turn your bx into a digging machine!!
I have a tooth bar that works pretty good I think. Is a piranha much better?

BotaLoda

Equipment
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
What make is this subsoiler . I have been looking for something like this. The ones I have found local are to light my brother in law broke his 2nd time he used it.
The main shank on this is 1"x6" solid steel, I don't thing I can break it, not with a BX anyway. A&B Eagle is the brand. Finally found it listed for $396.62 It came with my deal so I never knew the actual selling price.

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
I moved the bar that connects to the center link downward about 2 3/4" and my estimate is that it went 16" down. Would one made for a subcompact go that deep? It didn't seem to strain the tractor much at all. If it doesn't rain I may try it tomorrow and measure.

The only thing that is difficult with it is getting it from under the tractor to a position that it will catch and grab, and even that wasn't too bad this try.

I got it for two things. One, to pull out SMALL tree stumps and cut roots, and two, to loosen the soil if I need to dig with the bucket since I don't have a backhoe. I'm not sure if I'll do any more tweaking or not. I may possibly add a handle to allow me to swing it out from under the tractor to where the tip grabs, while I'm up on the tractor.
Before you add a handle, think about where it will go if you ever break a shear bolt.. I really wouldn't want one to hit me or my favorite tractor.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Ortimber

Sep 27, 2016
Oregon
I think the best idea is to get one that's a better fit for your tractor. Like the post above, if you break the shear bolt, it seems likely you could damage your tractor.

I wish the OP was closer, I'm looking for a subsoiler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BotaLoda

Equipment
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
I've called all around and can't find anything made for my tractor size. About the only option is something from Tractor Supply but from what I've read they use to have a good one but it's now lighter duty and they bend too easy. I think my best option is to make this one work. If I really want to get into it, I can move the main shank up a few inches, but that requires drilling some large holes through the 1" thick shank. I still have a corded drill around here somewhere.

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
Seems like there should be the pivot bolt and an additional shear bolt to hold that top bracket in place. Overall just seems like an unnecessarily complicated design. The subsoilers I've seen just have a standard 3 pt implement frame.

I wonder if that top bracket is supposed to replace the tractor's top link. That wouldn't seem right since different tractors required different lengths and there's no adjustment, but hooking two pivoting links together like that just doesn't seem like it would work.

coltbean

Aug 27, 2016
Arkansas US
I just bought the one from agri supply for my L2501 and it's not as big as that thing. It actually fits very well. That thing is way too big for your bx, the one from tractor supply will be fine for your tractor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A
using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ortimber

Sep 27, 2016
Oregon
I just bought the one from agri supply for my L2501 and it's not as big as that thing. It actually fits very well. That thing is way too big for your bx, the one from tractor supply will be fine for your tractor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

How does your 2501 pull the one you bought?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coltbean

Aug 27, 2016
Arkansas US
I can let it dig in up to the cross bar and so far it hasn't had any problems. I've done some trench g for water run off and used it to dig up a 6" stump. Just pass around the stump to break the roots and then drive straight over till it hooks the stump and lift your 3 point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

BotaLoda

Equipment
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
I wonder if that top bracket is supposed to replace the tractor's top link. That wouldn't seem right since different tractors required different lengths and there's no adjustment, but hooking two pivoting links together like that just doesn't seem like it would work.
I called the manufacture asking about the center link and he said you still use your center link. Then he said it's too big for a sub compact. I told him that I got it to work but not quite right and he was very interested. Told him that I thought of re drilling the holes and moving the main shank up and he said that will work well. Or he said to cut off the bottom and the shank and re weld it on a little higher. In fact he was such a nice guy, he said they could do it there while I waited! Sounds interesting but it's a couple hour ride and in the at least 4 hours driving there and back, plus waiting, I can do it myself and save some time and a lot of gas. Not sure how many drill bits I'll go through?! :D

It's not like I can return it, I've used it and drilled part of it already.

So I'd really appreciate if a few of you with smaller ones (that doesn't sound right does it?) could give me the measurement of the length of the shank below the two lower hitch pins. From the center between the two pins down to the bottom tip. I'm thinking if I shorten it about 4" it will be perfect, but eagerly await your measurements.